Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VeloxBanks

Question regarding the advantage of using Raid/PVP sets in WPVP

I was wondering just how important Raid and PVP sets are in the not so strict environment of WPVP. 

You need good Raid gear to progress through the PVE content and you need good PVP gear to give you an edge in the instanced team fights. All that is fine and well, but what about WPVP? Can it be made it's own thing or will those who wish to participate also have to sit through hours of PVE and instanced PVP that doesn't interest them? Not exactly a problem since those 2 things are the filling of the game and you are (for the most part) expected to have an interest in them if you're playing the game in the first place.

Would people still be able to do fine in WPVP with whatever gear they have? Would a lvl 60 paladin do fine with blue gear he got outside of raids? Of course it heavily depends on the gear of the enemy players you're fighting, however, I have heard some slight mentions that WPVP is more about skill and less about gear. How true is this? If it is indeed true does it extend to scenarios where a warrior with random blue gear can stand up to a full tier 2 warrior so long as he knows how to play his class and use his abilities? 

TL;DR: What's more important in WPVP? Skill or gear? 

I think the wpvp environment is by default asymetric so in order of importance I would say Numbers / Level Differences > Class Meta  > Gear > Skill

And afaik (I'm an occasional PvPer at best so there will be much more qualified answers) the absence of pvp specific stats in vanilla makes it so the best gear in the game is the best gear for PvP.

If that comes from PvE activities then that's what's what.

I'm sure big skill differences would be able to overcome gear or class meta to some extent but in averages / broad strokes it should be something like what I posted.

28 minutes ago, VeloxBanks said:

What's more important in WPVP? Skill or gear?

Not being caught off guard, although as the game progresses gear becomes quite the factor. If we are to look at the open world pvp that is going to be there from the start without the honor system I'd say it's more numbers/skill based.

Besides the things Roadblock already mentioned, Vanilla is chock full of cheesy consumables, gimmicky on-use items/trinkets, and heavily RNG based CC procs or damage. See the entire engineering profession for reference

I'd say fundamentally being good at your class (not being a decade behind in mechanics helps, try to not keyboard strafe/backpedal, learn how control and burst works) + having the things I mentioned above + the element of surprise and you have a good shot at upsetting a lot of 'matchups' you're not supposed to win. Of course a lot of classes just have more tools than others, at this early stage of the game a lot of classes are bereft of useful PVP spells and blizzard has yet to start homogenizing the classes (heavily, anyway...yeah?). This shouldn't stop anyone because shit like Gnomish Death Ray exists. Expect your 'role' in PVP to be very niche based on your class and spec if you wanna be effective

Really, with all the RNG and cheese in the game, the game shouldn't feel like rock paper scissors unless you and your opponent(s) are pretty good at the game and have similar access to handy items... let me tell you right now, most people who play vanilla private servers are still not very good at PVP and very few are willing to grind/farm for all the items necessary to improve their own viability

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

EDIT: I meant keyboard turn, not strafe

Edited by Chalk
whoops

Alternatively, I have heard that people have been.... Known to Heal... in wpvp. 

Entire melees have been known to come to a crunching halt, as players on both sides pause to burn the heretic... 

Thanks for the answers, people. The information is much appreciated! 

Doesn't seem like much of a good idea for me to try WPVP considering my atrocious "skills". I never was much of a fighter in this game, more of a runner. But then again, practice makes perfect! And I got a whole lot of practicing ahead of me...

Depends on the class, the level, the situation (mobs involved?), whether the 'receiver' is on guard or not, lag, gear and professions more than skill, in 99% of world PvP cases.

Here is  good example of what a good geared raiding guild can do. Think they were like 20-30 people stopping two 40 man raids

Sadly in vanilla wow where resilience is not a thing, pve tiers will be ahead of pvp most of the game.

Enough gear will outdo skill.

On 9/14/2016 at 1:27 AM, Moxey said:

Sadly in vanilla wow where resilience is not a thing, pve tiers will be ahead of pvp most of the game.

Enough gear will outdo skill.

Parts of the PvP set (r13/14) stays relevant even with Naxxramas. But once AQ is out, I wouldn't even consider to go for these ranks anymore.

"Enough Gear will outdo skill" - Not necessarily, if you are well prepared /w the right trinkets&cons, you will overcome an enemy that only outgears you.
Anyway what Chalk said. Alot of people complaining about the randomness don't play their class to the full potential. 

Which classes stand to gain the most from r 12/13/14 gear especially around MC? I've seen h.priests hit r13 just for the shoulders but what about druids, shamans, palys, is there much of a point to pvp grinding with those classes?

On 19.10.2016 at 3:27 AM, Aigi said:

Which classes stand to gain the most from r 12/13/14 gear especially around MC? I've seen h.priests hit r13 just for the shoulders but what about druids, shamans, palys, is there much of a point to pvp grinding with those classes?

None of the PvP pieces is good for resto shamans, other than the off hand from AV exalted. Quite certain it's the same for resto druids. The classes that still used pvp items in my guild on Nostalrius during BWL was Fury Warriors, mages and warlocks, maybe the priests as well. DPS warriors benefits by far the most i would say. This is looking at it from a pve side btw.

On 10/19/2016 at 2:27 AM, Aigi said:

Field Marshalls set is especially good for Cat dps, unless you have stuff that has significantly higher ilvl with better optimised secondaries. It's pretty much just due to how much strength is on the pieces and how they scale though.

On ‎2016‎-‎10‎-‎29 at 3:40 AM, Mcstropp said:

None of the PvP pieces is good for resto shamans, other than the off hand from AV exalted. Quite certain it's the same for resto druids. The classes that still used pvp items in my guild on Nostalrius during BWL was Fury Warriors, mages and warlocks, maybe the priests as well. DPS warriors benefits by far the most i would say. This is looking at it from a pve side btw.

R13 set is BiS for hunters pre-AQ afaik.

Edited by Adelinemdr

Gear obviously is a factor but your mindset should be that skill overcomes anything, otherwise you'll find yourself saying "Well, nothing I could've done, I've been outgeared!" a lot and not focus on improving your skills.

I don't have the biggest vanilla experience but from what I've seen most people playing on vanilla servers aren't very good at PvP. Even with the little Vanilla Experience I had, I didn't have any problems regarding PvP on Nostalrius. 

So if you've played on a fairly high lvl in PvP before, or are a mediocre Arena-Tournament player, you will have no trouble beating most of the people you'll run across on Vanilla servers. Don't forget most people are here for reliving memories / experiencing vanilla / trying to achieve things they couldn't before in Vanilla. Only a extreme minority visits a vanilla server to PvP and with the mindset to actually be GOOD at vanilla PvP.