Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Whitepanda

Alexensual preview on Crestfall

55 posts in this topic

This guy is the biggest shill in the pserver community... Lost to a 17 hunter, raged and quit pvp nost server. Shilled VOA, shilled Elysium, now shilling Crestfall. 

This guy should have just quit. 

Edited by MadeByRockets

I'm pretty sure he was dissing Elysium actually, and was called out for it.

You can criticize for bad judgement maybe, but I don't think he has ties to any p server, probably just going with the "topic of the hour" to get some exposure? 

(I don't know, I'm not related in any way :P )

Edit: After watching the video, leaving aside any like/dislike for the person themselves, it was pretty decent.

He seems to have done his homework and presented a good F.A.Q. for most key features; a person coming across the video that knows nothing about Alexensual will not get bad info on the project.

Edited by Roadblock

This is a really good vid for anyone unfamiliar with Crestfall.

I'm not really familiar with the guy (i just know people hate him, not sure why tbh), however, the video wasn't bad at all (he made some mistakes though).

I wish he would fuck off as far as possible from the project.

poor Alex, i feel like he has some misinformation in his video about certain things. maybe some of his shills gave wrong information.

otherwise, it was a decent video.

I'm satisfied.  A couple things wrong, but to be fair, there has been a lot of discussion on here and different views expressed so I see where that comes from.  It's certainly largely correct, and I appreciate the time and effort he took to make the video.

1 hour ago, Elicas said:

not a nice thing to say

I think most of the hate of him comes from the /r/wowservers community, which as we all know, has become pretty toxic these days. He is actually a pretty decent guy as far as I can tell and he just says what he thinks. He has zero malicious intent so people should cut him some slack.

Edited by Pvt_8Ball

Nostalrius staff who have joined are in fact support staff, not devs or admins.

Pretty sure we're launching with Maraudon, not Dire Maul though.

Itemization won't be exactly Blizzlike (too much work), but it'll be a reasonable compromise.

A lot more than 3 months real time of work had gone into CF, but he's correct in substance.  This was just a hobby project for us until fairly recently.  We've put more effort into this in the last year than the previous four combined.

Two accounts per IP is also not a firm plan, more of an example of ways to combat multiboxing.  We're not 100% certain what that's going to look like yet, but we're not ruling out an IP cap.

Our clustering is nothing like Nostalrius' clustering.  Their planned implementation was a system much closer to "phasing".  We actually separate continents and instances onto separate physical machines, and have a realmserver than handles communication between them.  Nobody else does that (Edit:  except Blizzard).

Cross server battlegrounds are an interesting function.  Normally you have all these Worldservers (EK, Kalimdor and Instances) that talk to each other through a single Realmserver.  Multiple Worldservers, one Realmserver.  If you do cross server battlegrounds, you have to create a Battleground server which can talk to multiple Realmservers simultaneously.  We will have to build an entirely new executable to do that.  A lot of it is cut and paste, obviously, but there is enough new functionality in there to make it a fairly big job.  We can do it, of course, but we don't want to push back release for it, especially if the BG queues are pretty good anyways and it isn't necessary.  It's something we'll look at adding post-launch if the queues start to be a problem.

Gold membership is a concept, not a plan.  We have no solid decisions on what the donation shop will look like ATM, except that it won't stock gameplay-affecting items.

I think that's all the potential misinformation cleared up.  I may have missed one or two things but the majority of what he said was correct.

Edited by Darkrasp

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Yeah it seems I was wrong on a few things. I'll add these into the video for those watching.

I never rage quit the Nostalrius PvP server. I had two level 60's characters there. I made a promotional video on Nostalrius and also VoA, that does not mean I shill any server. I also did not shill Elysium, not sure where you are getting this information. I also am not shilling Crestfall. I make videos on private servers to give people information on them. That is what I did with Crestfall. I even warned people in the video to not get too hyped about it, although it looks great so far.

I've never dissed Elysium. I think it's a good server, but the population is quite low with Legion coming out soon. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Thanks for the video.

I will make on suggestion though. Make the bed. That seems to be a running trend in all the videos I have watched of yours.

Edited by Struckd

@Alexensual will be aware that all publicity is good publicity. There's nothing wrong with the video as a basic introduction to Crestfall.

What would be useful is to take elements of CF that are unique like clustering and do a video of that with an explanation. I'm aware that this has been done before but not with an independent party. Another option is take the more passionate threads/debates in these forums and spin into into a video  exploring both sides of the story (buffing raid bosses, multiboxing, holy resistance Batman etc).

+1 for coming onto the forums and getting your point across, it is appreciate. 

Everyone is talking about toxic community on other servers but everyone is flaming at the same time.

How about we all chill out a bit and appreciate the video and review of this guy and let's NOT be toxic ;)

We are the new crestfall community!

Edited by Budge

On 2016-08-21 at 10:32 PM, Elicas said:

Couldn't agree more, fuck that guy.

@Alexensual Thank you for this video! I'm surprised at players being so toxic..people should give the man more respect instead of flaming. 

I appreciate your open and honest approach towards helping players of all degrees and just wanting a place to play to get the vanilla experience.

We need ALL types of players and I feel like your videos help others just wanting a quick glimpse of what a server is and you videos are perfect for that! 

9 hours ago, LorewalkerCho said:

Couldn't agree more, fuck that guy.

I didnt know Lorewalker Cho was so Hostile.

21 minutes ago, Zetox said:

@Alexensual Thank you for this video! I'm surprised at players being so toxic..people should give the man more respect instead of flaming. 

I appreciate your open and honest approach towards helping players of all degrees and just wanting a place to play to get the vanilla experience.

We need ALL types of players and I feel like your videos help others just wanting a quick glimpse of what a server is and you videos are perfect for that! 

I also think the bashing is going too far. I can remember him making a lot of mistakes in the past, in his videos (elemental shamans bad in pvp, warriors good early on, "Nostalrius will never close" :D), but i've never seen him becoming unrespectful or anything, so i don't think he deserves all this. A lot of people also blame him because of PlayTBC, but that's what happens when you just follow the crowd without investigating first.

Edited by valaquenta

30 minutes ago, valaquenta said:

I also think the bashing is going too far. I can remember him making a lot of mistakes in the past, in his videos (elemental shamans bad in pvp, warriors good early on, "Nostalrius will never close" :D), but i've never seen him becoming unrespectful or anything, so i don't think he deserves all this. A lot of people also blame him because of PlayTBC, but that's what happens when you just follow the crowd without investigating first.

Whilst i agree...I think alot of the bashing comes because his videos are made to further current hive mind trends and thoughts...rather then be deep, logical, informed, well-researched pieces. For example his videos about retail WoW, many of his statements are skewed or misinformed to cater to a crowd of people who dislike the current game. I am by far not a fan of the current state of WoW but just taking 5 minutes of my time to research Legions features and I can see quite a few of the points he raises in his videos are either skewed or just wrong. It seems to be a running trend.

The room in his background says a lot about the quality of his videos. If he can't take 5 minutes to be presentable...how can viewers trust that he puts more then 5 minutes into researching what hes video-taping about.

I think thats the underlining reason why Alex gets a lot of flak. 

Edited by Struckd

On 8/21/2016 at 10:32 PM, Elicas said:

hold on Slipryyy

On 21-8-2016 at 11:55 PM, Pvt_8Ball said:

I think most of the hate of him comes from the /r/wowservers community, which as we all know, has become pretty toxic these days. He is actually a pretty decent guy as far as I can tell and he just says what he thinks. He has zero malicious intent so people should cut him some slack.

Its the entire vanilla wow community thats pretty toxic tbh. Just see the comments in this thread! :P

His video actually brought me here! Also, I cant recall any comment that was particularly negative towards this server.

On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 11:30 PM, Darkrasp said:

Nostalrius staff who have joined are in fact support staff, not devs or admins.

Pretty sure we're launching with Maraudon, not Dire Maul though.

Itemization won't be exactly Blizzlike (too much work), but it'll be a reasonable compromise.

A lot more than 3 months real time of work had gone into CF, but he's correct in substance.  This was just a hobby project for us until fairly recently.  We've put more effort into this in the last year than the previous four combined.

Two accounts per IP is also not a firm plan, more of an example of ways to combat multiboxing.  We're not 100% certain what that's going to look like yet, but we're not ruling out an IP cap.

Our clustering is nothing like Nostalrius' clustering.  Their planned implementation was a system much closer to "phasing".  We actually separate continents and instances onto separate physical machines, and have a realmserver than handles communication between them.  Nobody else does that (Edit:  except Blizzard).

Cross server battlegrounds are an interesting function.  Normally you have all these Worldservers (EK, Kalimdor and Instances) that talk to each other through a single Realmserver.  Multiple Worldservers, one Realmserver.  If you do cross server battlegrounds, you have to create a Battleground server which can talk to multiple Realmservers simultaneously.  We will have to build an entirely new executable to do that.  A lot of it is cut and paste, obviously, but there is enough new functionality in there to make it a fairly big job.  We can do it, of course, but we don't want to push back release for it, especially if the BG queues are pretty good anyways and it isn't necessary.  It's something we'll look at adding post-launch if the queues start to be a problem.

Gold membership is a concept, not a plan.  We have no solid decisions on what the donation shop will look like ATM, except that it won't stock gameplay-affecting items.

I think that's all the potential misinformation cleared up.  I may have missed one or two things but the majority of what he said was correct.

would you just make sure all the donation rewards require you to have already have a mount and the appropriate training to ride it on the character, and would you also make sure that all donation rewards are soulbound to the character, even if by making them be automatically used 1 time upon receiving it?

mounts can cost quite a bit of gold

Edited by Aquane

5 minutes ago, Aquane said:

would you just make sure all the donation rewards require you to have already have a mount and the appropriate training to ride it on the character, and would you also make sure that all donation rewards are soulbound to the character, even if by making them be automatically used 1 time upon receiving it?

mounts can cost quite a bit of gold

That's the idea already. We've discussed it on here and during the QA. If you want to donate for a non-obtainable mount, you need the same type of riding and at least one mount of that time. That's something we discussed in the past.

1 minute ago, Asura said:

That's the idea already. We've discussed it on here and during the QA. If you want to donate for a non-obtainable mount, you need the same type of riding and at least one mount of that time. That's something we discussed in the past.

what about donating for obtainable mounts?