Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
duzyizly

Leveling a rogue (for dummies)

Greetings,

Here is my quick and simple guide for leveling rogue.
Enjoy.

########## What to learn (and when) ##########

2) -
4) stealth rank 1 (10 copper), backstab rank 1 (1 silver), pickpocket (1 silver)
6) sinister strike rank 2 (1 silver), gouge rank 1 (1 silver), first aid
8) eviscerate rank 2 (2 silver), evasion (2 silver)
10) dual wield (10 silver), parry (10 silver), sprint rank 1 (3 silver), sap rank 1 (3 silver), swords skill (10 silver)
12) -
14) sinister strike rank 3, kick rank 1
16) lockpick, eviscerate rank 3
18) -
20) stealth rank 2, ambush rank 1 (for poison quest), instant poison rank 1 (via quest)
22) sinister strike rank 4, distract, vanish rank 1
24) eviscerate rank 4
26) cheap shot
28) *instant poison rank 2
30) sinister strike rank 5, kidney shot rank 1
32) eviscerate rank 5
34) sprint rank 2, blind, blinding powder
36) *instant poison rank 3
38) sinister strike rank 6
40) eviscerate rank 6, safe fall, stealth rank 3
42) *vanish rank 2
44) *instant poison rank 4
46) sinister strike rank 7
48) eviscerate rank 7
50) *kidney shot rank 2
52) *instant poison rank 6
54) sinister strike rank 8
56) eviscerate rank 8
58) *sprint rank 3
60) all that remains

*You should delay to visit trainer unless you are near.

Do not train sap, kick, backstab or gouge rank 2 or higer while leveling.
You will have to learn another poisons to increase your poison skill (require for instant poison higer ranks).
Ignore slice and dice, feint, garrote etc. up to level 60.

########## How to talents ##########

10 - improved sinister strike 1/2
11 - improved sinister strike 2/2
12 - lighting reflexes 1/5
13 - lighting reflexes 2/5
14 - lighting reflexes 3/5
15 - precision 1/5
16 - precision 2/5
17 - precision 3/5
18 - precision 4/5
19 - precision 5/5
20 - deflection 1/5
21 - deflection 2/5
22 - deflection 3/5
23 - deflection 4/5
24 - deflection 5/5
25 - riposte 1/1
26 - dual wield specialization 1/5
27 - dual wield specialization 2/5
28 - dual wield specialization 3/5
29 - dual wield specialization 4/5
30 - blade flurry 1/1
31 - sword specialization 1/5
32 - sword specialization 2/5
33 - sword specialization 3/5
34 - sword specialization 4/5
35 - weapon expertise 1/2
36 - weapon expertise 2/2
37 - aggression 1/3
38 - aggression 2/3
39 - aggression 3/3
40 - adrenaline rush 1/1
41 - remorseless attacks 1/2
42 - remorseless attacks 2/2
43 - sword specialization 5/5
44 - dual wield specialization 5/5
45 - malice 1/5
46 - malice 2/5
47 - malice 3/5
48 - malice 4/5
49 - malice 5/5
50 - improved eviscerate 1/3
51 - improved eviscerate 2/3
52 - improved eviscerate 3/3
53 - relentless strikes 1/1
54 - lehality 1/5
55 - lehality 2/5
56 - lehality 3/5
57 - lehality 4/5
58 - lehality 5/5
59 - improved sprint 1/2
60 - improved sprint 2/2

########## One button class ##########

Your main abilities are: sinister strike, eviscerate, cheap shot (lvl 26), riposte (lvl 25) and instant poison (lvl 20).
Use evasion/sprint/blade flurry/adrenaline rush all the time You can (do not save them for a rainy day).
Use kick/kidney shot/gouge for caster mobs.
Do not use sap/blind too often because in most of situations You will be able to defeat 2 enemies at once (especially with blade flurry).

########## Items that might be important while leveling ##########

"wingblade" (horde) - WC quest [http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=6504]
"sword of omen - SM quest" [http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=6802]
"vanquisher's sword" - RFD quest [http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=10823]
"tharsh blade" MARA quest [http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=17705]
"nifty stopwatch" - badlands quest [http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=2820]
"rune of the guard captain" (horde) - hinterlands elite quest [http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=19120]

########## Some more/less usefull tips ##########

If you wanna play horde - pick forsaken. If you wanna play alliance - pick night elf or human.
When You come to the first village buy "stiletto" (4 silver) [http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=2494].
Once you get lvl 10 buy "cutlass" (23 silver) or check AH/trade chat for green sword lvl 10 [http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=851].
Save random dagger for level 20 quest.
Do not use stealth for starting combat before lvl 26 (kidney shot). Using "ambush + swap weapon" macro is not value because of swing timer reset and wasting time to move around mobs in stealth.
Use strong (low speed) weapon in main-hand and quick weapon in off-hand.
While leveling always use instant poison on both weapons.
Since you are lvl 31 or 32 - use only swords (sword specialization talent).
Save money for level 40 mount.
Use leveling guide!

Maybe I am (not?) a 'dummie' but I disagree with most of stuff you posted haha.

True most fun way to level a rogue is Sub !

It's also really almost as fast as combat. And better than combat for dungeons.

Do not train sap, kick, backstab or gouge rank 2 or higer while leveling.

Sap and Backstab are core skills for a sub rogue.

Ignore slice and dice, feint, garrote etc. up to level 60.

Seriously? SnD is a must for most builds and Garrote is an awesome PvP opener vs rogues, druids and some other classes while leveling.

While leveling always use instant poison on both weapons.

This is complex. In a populated map such as Hillsbrad, STV, SG, Tanaris, etc... you might want Crippling Poison in OH. With that you might survive more PvP encounters, which end up saving you time and making leveling faster !

Anyway, I guess it's a good guide for dummies wanting to play combat rogue.

For the true feeling of rogue, go Sub and have lots of fun!

Well, it's a quick leveling guide for dummies in my eyes. Not an "ambush the shit out of every zone and have the most fun"-guide =) Well done!

I like this. Thanks for posting! Of course all of it is via your experience I can see the theme you're trying to go with :)

Exactly what some people are looking for when wanting to know how to start off!

Easy first template to follow, many will be able to use this!

I actually don't go for Adrenaline Rush. On a leveling Rogue, Ghostly Strike will beat it out in value mob to mob. Rather than 1 extra CD every 5m which you shouldn't need, you get extra dodge "every" mob, which as far as math goes, adds more per point than the reflexes. But with 5/5 dodge, 5/5 parry, on top of the strike, mobs struggle to even hit you. Riposte is also great. After slotting both, you could just go for Prep, allowing 2x Blade Flurry. But I go for Relentless Strikes next.

Basically, what I do is, Blade Flurry->Ghost Strike->Relentless Strikes (With Remorseless). This is a build that can non stop kill mobs and basically never downtime, plowing the road to 60, and farming great at 60. But you have to respec out for value anywhere else. It's a pitiful build for dungeons, and pretty useless for PvP as well except fighting enemy melee classes.

Edited by Drain
correction

can we get a detailed guide on leveling a sub rogue? im contemplating rolling rogue on the pve server and i wanted to level in sub, thats always been my preferred way of leveling, 2 shotting with ambush is love.

On 28.09.2016 at 11:39 PM, MardestyGS said:

can we get a detailed guide on leveling a sub rogue? im contemplating rolling rogue on the pve server and i wanted to level in sub, thats always been my preferred way of leveling, 2 shotting with ambush is love.

OK...

So, the main problem about leveling as "sub rogue" in vanilla/TBC is about Hemorrhage not stacking with daggers (in wotlk it deals 150% of weapon damage if you have dagger in main hand). Ofc You have tons of adventage on low levels in pvp (especailly against cloth/leather) but pve (leveling) is slower than butchering mobs as combat rogue.

########## how to sub ##########

Your main abilities as sub are: ambush, ghostly strike (lvl 20), hemorrhage (sinister strike untill lvl 30), eviscerate, and  garrote up to level 17 (You obtain ambush at 18).

You start combat with ambush, then ghostly strike, then hemorrhave, then eviscerate. Repeat with hemorrhage + eviscerate (if You need to).

So, many peopole are going to say that You should actually play stunlock pve but it's time wasting since Your main defence is dodge. With ghostly strike and lightning reflexes Your dodge is always at about 30%. You can easily kill single mobs without permastuning 'em. 

########## talents ##########

Talent tree for sub and explanation:

dfasgasdfsadf.jpg

1st of all - You don't need MOD, it's useless for leveling. With camuflage You are quick enought to ambush 2-3 level higer mob. And with distract You can have 100% chance to not being detected anytime.

Gaining combo points: improved ambush, setup, relentless strikes.

Precision over Deadliness and Premeditation - well, you can't miss with ambush. If you do it - killing a single mob takes too long. So I prefere it over bonus AP and some pvp stuff.

Eviscerate/ambush over garrote/rapture - killing single mob with ambush, GS, hemo, eviscerate takes about 10-15 sec (depends of mob class and your MH weapon) so going for garrote/rapture is waste of time.

10-14 opportunity
15-19 camuflage
20 ghostly strike
21-23 imp. ambush
24 initiative 1/3
25-27 serrated blades
28-29 initiative 3/3
30 hemorrhage
31 preparation
32-33 remorseless attacks
34-38 malice
39-43 lightning reflexes
44-48 precision
49-51 setup
52-54 imp. eviscerate
55 relentless strikes
56-60 lethality

########## weapons ##########

For sub rogue You need strong MH dagger with "slow speed" and any quick weapon in offhand.

some slow and easy obtainable daggers whie leveling:
Meteor shard [SFK last boss] http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=6220
Broad bladed knife [vendors] http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=12247
Silent hunter (horde) [Arathi highlands chain quest] http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=9520
Friendish Skiv (horde) [DWM chain quest] http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=10703

Regards

Edited by duzyizly

On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 11:23 AM, duzyizly said:

Ignore slice and dice

If you plan on skipping dungeons

9 hours ago, Svensson said:

If you plan on skipping dungeons

In low level dungeons eviscerate beats non improved SnD. There's a lot of calculations about it in google search.
Also rememeber that lvl 10 SnD gives You 20% IAS and 30% IAS is obtained with lvl 42 SnD (so, as was said You can learn it after gettin' a lvl 40 mount).

The thing is, that out in the field, you've little to no reason to use slice in the first place. So I don't know why you'd want to improve it, over Evis, which you would use. Even in dungeons, mobs can die so fast that slice gets little to no benefit unless you're on a boss. You maximize slice, you need 2 good weapons and poisons up, plus enemies still around to beat on. To maximize Evis... you just get 5 points then hit the button.

On 10/1/2016 at 0:37 PM, duzyizly said:

duzizly said a lot, and I'm saving up space by not quoting the entire thing

Have you ever factored sidestepping/facestabbing into a build? Also, I haven't done the math but believe precision would be something that you should go for early, as a missed ambush is a missed ambush.

7 hours ago, sillywet said:

Have you ever factored sidestepping/facestabbing into a build? Also, I haven't done the math but believe precision would be something that you should go for early, as a missed ambush is a missed ambush.

Imho leveling in vanilla as sub is such a waste of time.1
But if you care about roleplaying as D&D shadowdancer...

1Or maybe I just don't have fun of leveling anymore.

Leveling as anything but combat is pure masochism, do people enjoy not being able to solo elite quests?

Leveling a rogue (for dummies)

Rule #1: Do not stealth pass mobs for loot/talk/wank quest objectives

Rule #2: Spending 10min before a leveling session /w every mage for food will save you time more time than you think, don't believe Michelle Obama fried bananas are your friends.

Rule #3: Leveling guides are dumb since you can SS with daggers and still mop the floor with everything while leveling in 1.12.

Rule #4: Spending time, money or mental faculties on loot or spec before level 56 is a waste of time, for anything else refer to rule #3 or #5

Rule #5: If you don't have at least one level 25-35 item when you ding 60 you wasted time on nonsense, no one's that lucky