Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Elicas

Yay PvE server!

124 posts in this topic
25 minutes ago, Outstanding said:

Fantastic. Great to see you. All you need to do is to change your avatar to something more appropriate like:

Image result for tauren

In my thousand years of living as an Elf, I can confirm that you have the best milk :) Although I am not changing my Avatar! Never!

I'm also glad we can day 1 PvE here. Nostalrius screwed us by only having PvP, even longer after the server was overloaded. When they finally did launch PvE, long after it would have been helpful, everyone was 60 already, and they didn't offer us any transfers like they should have. So we were basically stuck, and the new server was doomed to never get needed immigrants because why would you start over when you already have 60s??? Basically, no one moved, and the new server only got a slow drip feed of fresh players that had nothing to lose by going there. I hope that this server can learn from the mistakes of Nostalrius. One of them is how they handled the population. A single PvP server with 10-15k was miserable. They needed to release more PvP servers with transfers and cross realm BGs. The PvE one, coming so late, should have gotten transfers too, even if it came at a cost of losing raid or rank equipment. But instead, they didn't do any of this, and made us suffer all year with an overloaded PvP dogpile where it was frustrating to quest, level, or even farm at 60.

Before I clicked on this server, I was already thinking, "Day 1 PvE or I'm not even starting." I endured all that shit on Nostalrius already. The World PvP that everyone drools over (for whatever reason), is complete shit. Skull cons ganking me isn't fun. It's just a waste of my time. Especially when a graveyard is 5-10m away (Fuck you Tanaris). Even at 60, you have raid geared pricks doing it. Nostalrius was so overloaded, that there was practically no effective way you could farm for the shit you needed at 60, short of DME as a Mage, without being regularly grieved out of an area. Many players actually leveled Mages just so they could farm that, since you could do it as a scrub. We had far too many people/guilds, and naturally, they needed money. With a limited amount of nodes/mobs in every zone, they have no reason to share, as opposed to just killing you repeatedly until you leave. HF getting that Furbolg reputation btw. I was so glad I got mine early done before the server got as big as it did. In later months, the areas were over camped 24 7, and most players gank you on sight to keep you clear of their farm.

Day 1 PvE? Yes please. Now that I record LPs for Youtube (which I did not do in my Nostalrius days), I'll be really tempted to record for this server as well. Last thing I'll need is people stalking/grieving me over any videos or possible streams I did. If you did these for Nostalrius, you literally had assholes stalking your characters, as if you weren't entitled to had viewers that should be watching whoever their preferred channel is.

9 hours ago, Outstanding said:

Fantastic. Great to see you. All you need to do is to change your avatar to something more appropriate like:

What an udderly ridiculous suggestion.

xD

9 hours ago, Elbereth said:

In my thousand years of living as an Elf, I can confirm that you have the best milk :) Although I am not changing my Avatar! Never!

Though I must admit that Tauren are one and only great horde race for me in vanilla (probably of that milkxD) good decision! For the Alliance!!! (poor hordes must wait for me at least to TBC when my :x high elves come)

21 hours ago, Clavus said:

There might always be someone who is not that loud, just whispers the guy and goes to help. Maybe... I still have  hope for humanity.

Long ago I was patrolling Hillsbrad Foothills to prevent ganking from alliance 70s. Most of the gankers were in outland greens so they were quite easy to deal with. I don't know if this kind of behaviour stll exists though. As for me, I played on a RP-PvP realm and considered protecting people as my duty (I played a paladin, ofc :D).

25 minutes ago, wrtsdf said:

Long ago I was patrolling Hillsbrad Foothills to prevent ganking from alliance 70s. Most of the gankers were in outland greens so they were quite easy to deal with. I don't know if this kind of behaviour stll exists though. As for me, I played on a RP-PvP realm and considered protecting people as my duty (I played a paladin, ofc :D).

That... that is awesome.

It was common in those days. Lots of roleplayers, also faction pride, guild pride and so on. Unfortunately WoW and its players have changed a lot since 2007-2008.

I'll just throw a couple of comments on to this thread as paws for thought (as Elicas would say)

First, on the PvP element, it would be good if people took the time to go through this thread from Nostalrius...Can we have a PvE realm pretty please?...which pretty much encapsulates the toxicity of some, and I remind you the word is ''some'' of the PvP fraternity. All the usual bullshit arguments which were comprehensively proved completely wrong.

Second, that the success of the PvE realm Zul'Dare is not guaranteed. Accordingly, if it fails we will be rolled into the PvP realm. I think this is a small possibility, but a possibility nonetheless. So until this PvE realm is secured, I'd advise caution in antagonising the PvP community lest certain elements be waiting for you with pointy teeth, sharp axes, loaded guns and /spit macros as you forced to join their world.

I honestly think I may have my main on the PvE realm so I can fish in peace. I'm glad to have this option.

15 minutes ago, Outstanding said:

Second, that the success of the PvE realm Zul'Dare is not guaranteed. Accordingly, if it fails we will be rolled into the PvP realm. I think this is a small possibility, but a possibility nonetheless. So until this PvE realm is secured, I'd advise caution in antagonising the PvP community lest certain elements be waiting for you with pointy teeth, sharp axes, loaded guns and /spit macros as you forced to join their world.

Honestly u sound now a bit like one of PVP guys (no offense:P). And 'success' is a very vast word. Anyway no matter how big this success gonna be i dont believe that most pve players would join pvp realm. Unless PVE realm hasnt started at all which is almost unlikely if this is meant by devs (if this was the case no worries still.. my sharp staff and /spit macros are always prepared for all kind of retards no matter what realm xD). And then PVP realm wont be 'their world'. It l be mine as well.

14 hours ago, Outstanding said:

I'd advise caution in antagonising the PvP community lest certain elements be waiting for you with pointy teeth, sharp axes, loaded guns and /spit macros as you forced to join their world.

So the rape victim shouldn't have worn that sexy outfit? Is that seriously your argument? I'm leaning more towards Elicas' position. That is to turn my back on WoW rather than be forced to endure involuntary world PvP again. Why on earth would I join such a hostile community?

Btw I stopped playing on Kronos2, because after logging in to Nesingwary's Camp where I logged off the other day I was killed within seconds after picking up my corpse three or four times. Once I managed to buff myself and walk a couple of meters. No, thanks. No fun in that.

Edited by Murok

Not being able to raid because entrance to raid is camped by two full raids of other faction  PvPers anyone?

I'm totally with @Elicas , I wont join kul'tiras and just quit if forced to. Not interested be part of a community where the majority have fun in ruin other players experience.

I do feel you are concentrating on the micro and not the macro. Crestfall will be successful primarily based on the population it draws in, the vast majority of which will play on the PvP realm. As I'm sure you will have realised we have a very fine community here, one that acknowledges that we have to work together in order to make the server a success. People on both sides of the PvP/PvE debate should put aside their prejudices (for now) and concentrate on building something special.

I try to bring a balanced perspective to the game and the forums here, that's why I included the thread link to the birth and realisation of the PvE server on Nostalrius. This so the PvP community can hold a mirror to itself. The second section on minding our p's and q's is a reminder that just because we have a PvE realm does not guarantee success. It is beholden on all of us to draw in as many PvE players as we can, including those that would normally PvP but maybe want a quieter life. Every toon counts.

Rather than arguing pointlessly amongst ourselves we should be all doing our bit to spread the word, in a positive and non-confrontational manner (this of course won't happen).

The above will appear to be preachy garbage to a lot of you who after all, just want to get started and play on a Crestfall realm. Your opinion is equally valid.

You keep repeating that the vast majority will be playing on the PvP realm.

I take issue with that; it's not a given, but if you keep repeating it as fact and have others take up the mantra, it can work as deterrent for some players hanging on the balance.

(should I roll PvE and suffer lower pop? should I roll PvE and risk being forced into BC when the time comes?)

In my opinion population on CF hangs mostly on what part of the crowd that's outside of the private scene circuit it draws in.

9 minutes ago, Roadblock said:

You keep repeating that the vast majority will be playing on the PvP realm.

I take issue with that; it's not a given, but if you keep repeating it as fact and have others take up the mantra, it can work as deterrent for some players hanging on the balance.

(should I roll PvE and suffer lower pop? should I roll PvE and risk being forced into BC when the time comes?)

In my opinion population on CF hangs mostly on what part of the crowd that's outside of the private scene circuit it draws in.

Nobody knows. The assumption is that the PvE realm will do quite well as the refugees from the Nost version will have their first home to go to. 

There is no PvE vanilla realm as you know, so it's a captive audience.

The only poll that takes into account choice in CF is here:

Which had 216 replies which I feel is a reasonable percentage, say 20% of the total forum population at the time. The breakdown would be:

135 PvP

76 PvE

5 RP

That's less than 2:1 and I for one, would be very happy with that. 

My biggest concern is that the total # players on private server realms is getting very low, very low indeed. We're going to have to do a lot of work to get the players over to make both realms viable. 

The impression I get is that 1000+ online is enough to make the realms viable and 2500+ gives the realms excellent sustainability for the long haul. If I had a target for the PvE realm after the first 60 days, 1500+ would be a good outcome, gives us something to build on.

In another survey, people said that population was the biggest factor in defining success on Crestfall, backing up your points. However, it's clear from the reaction on this thread that 'PvE till I die' is far more important than that. The fact that I'm getting pulled up on or criticised for suggesting a bit of tolerance shows you how passionate people feel and this is very important. Just as per the RP element, I feel that the players on the PvE realm are far more loyal and in it for the long term than their PvP counterparts.

I believe that the PvE realm will have a solid population, but I understand what you mean @Outstanding

For me however, big population is not a factor at all. I played on retail vanilla in a half empty server and it felt amazing, all I need is a good guild to play with and minimum realm population to queue bg's and arenas in BC. I don't care to see thousands of people everywhere at all. That is only my opinion of course.

2 hours ago, Gry said:

I believe that the PvE realm will have a solid population, but I understand what you mean @Outstanding

For me however, big population is not a factor at all. I played on retail vanilla in a half empty server and it felt amazing, all I need is a good guild to play with and minimum realm population to queue bg's and arenas in BC. I don't care to see thousands of people everywhere at all. That is only my opinion of course.

As long as it's more populated than VoA...*shudder* That went down the drain. But I agree...as long as community is tight-knit and welcoming, even if it's on the smaller side, then that helps immensely when trying to get settled in to a new server to call home :) I don't like huge populations but I don't like a handful either. In the middle is just right and I think we'll be seeing that from the Zul'Dare!

1000 per faction at a time would be fine, double that would be fantastic, enough for it to feel like a world to me where I can have my community feeling as well as allow a good number of people to establish themselves in key roles such as the enchanter on the bridge, BG generals, tank/healer extraordinaire, the trade chat clown etc. As far as I am concerned competition between such roles within factions adds an extra level of meaning to playing the game, not just competition between factions or raid guilds. I know it gives at least me more confidence to commit time to the game and so at a server level it is all a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I'll play on both because I love world pvp and ganking, but I certainly agree with people avoiding PVP servers. I played on nothing but PVP servers on retail, plus all the private servers since then, before I switched to a PVE server for a raid team in Wrath. Escaping a 60 or getting jumped by someone while questing and winning the fight is amazing fun, but those kinds of encounters are few between the amount of times you're simply one-shot by bored 60s.

When I moved to the PVE server, I realized just how much I was missing out on. No more frustration, no more asking people for help, no more being ostracized by my own faction for daring to ask for help. I don't hate getting killed or even camped, I hate the normalcy of toxic behavior from people who take time out of their day to make yours worse, especially when they gain nothing by doing so. Ofcourse, this is what you accept when you hit Log In on a PVP server, but I've learned that I'm happier overall when I don't give others power over myself and that's really all that matters imo.

A bit of a rant, but I think Nost was the only PVP server I've really enjoyed. A few servers are either too small for gankers to be a real hinderance or, like Nost, had a gigantic number of people playing that asking for help turned into a roaming gang that lasted for hours, but most servers (Like K2) are in that inbetween spot where there's enough people around to kill you often but not enough on your own side for people to care about wanting to group up.

As for PVE population, even Nost's PVE server had a larger population than most p-servers do right now, so there's obviously a demand.

World PvP on WoW is nothing more than ganking, players seeking to waste the time of others. The worst part is that for those of us who do not care about ranks, we get nothing in return for wasting our time with you. Honor points don't mean dick to us. Can I exchange it for gold, which I need? No. It goes straight down the tube for a weekly counter we don't even use. When we're out in the world, we're farming gold for things we need. When we're forced to fight players, we're having our time wasted, and given nothing back for it. I enjoyed fighting every now and then to be honest, but the conditions with which most fights came under, ruined its enjoyment. It was usually skull cons, groups, or raid geared enemies eating my scrubs for easy honor points. Most of the time while leveling, it'd be a skull con or even raid geared 60 that'd drop you, for no benefit to himself what so ever, except to be an asshole to another person. This is not fun. No mechanic existed in Classic to discourage or penalize any of these conditions, unless you count honor being divided up by a group (lol). It would REALLY help if we could exchange honor points for something which could then be sold, or had a value to us in PvE, such as raiding potions. But this did not exist back then. So our time is simply wasted for nothing, when people want to bother us.

What PvP jerkoffs refuse to realize is that most people only have a limited amount of time per day to play. They have a thing called lives, or jobs. This is NOT an argument that leveling/content should be made faster/easier, but simply that a player should be able to do what they want, with their gametime. When they're being grieved and stuck as a ghost, getting nothing done, their finite time is wasted. When quest NPCs or FPs we need are killed all day, it's the same issue. On Nost, another issue was FPs taking 15m to respawn. So jackasses would simply semi AFK or travel between different FPS, corpse camping them. Even if you had a 60, there's no effective way to defend these things, or to stop them from simply moving to a different town to kill another one. Many players are punished for a long time when an important NPC is killed, and the Nost staff refused to ever cut their respawn timers. When you're Alliance in Rachet for example, and the FP is dead (this was a popular Horde grieve target), the nearest FPs afterwards are all the way up in Ashenvale, or down in Tanaris. This is unless you want to wait 15 minutes, after which it could simply be ganked again. Is this honestly fun for you? I don't know how other people view their time literally being wasted for nothing, as "fun".

Edited by Drain
Added minor text

On 25-9-2016 at 10:34 AM, Elicas said:

I'll walk away entirely before I'm rolled into the PvP server.

this.. 

I always played on PVE servers in retail and when Nost PVE opened i finally had that real vanilla feeling again. After it closed I tried a couple P-PVP servers but no, I really hate it. Now I am without a home and I feel like Crestfall is the last option for us PVE players. All I can say is:

"Plz don't suck"

camped by 2 60s in menethil harbor as a lvl 10 ally, another 60 at the spirit healer killed me when i spirit rezzed.

more ready than ever for a pve server.

I, too, echo the thoughts that have been put in this thread. 

I playeed vanilla on a pvp server back at launch. Everything was a struggle. From levelling to gathering. We ha a serial server pest rogue called yammingtons who would camp out black rock mountain. 

I had some fun when I'd win the occasional gank attempt. But I just don't have the time to put up with it anymore...

Zul'Dare for life!

I was a die hard PvP realm player throughout my retail experience (up to MoP) but as I've gotten older, and tried other private servers that are PvP only I have come to the conclusion that to get what I want done levelling and at max that PvE is the way to go. I don't have the free time I once had and the random ganking/camping is just an annoyance and gets in the way of my in-game goals. So, you can safely add +1 player to the PvE realm :). 

As for faction, I have been nothing but Horde aside from the odd Alliance alt that never saw max level but I am thinking I will go Alliance for the most fresh start possible. PvE and Alliance. I'm quite excited for this haha.