Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Elicas

The 1.12.1 Resto Druid (PvE)

68 posts in this topic

Removed in protest of the LGN 2.0

Edited by Elicas

Great stuff Elicas. I was doing a lot of research on this too but wouldn't have the balls to put it out on a thread as I've never played a Druid beyond L35.

One thing I do remember (I think) was that in an decent gear set -up the general rule of the thumb was:

<1000 HP to be healed = Healing Touch R3

>1000 HP to be healed = Healing touch R4

HT R4 therefore is the more tank orientated with HT R10 as your emergency oh shit button with, as you say, Natures' Swiftness

HT R3 seems to be used for healing anyone or anything else

QED

Yeah I saw that on the old ED Feenix guide, but it's not something I really think is applicable. Unless you have insane processing and hand-eye co-ordination speeds, in the time it takes to spot a health drop, read the health deficit, process which rank to use, muscle memory kicks in and you use the keybind, a Paladin has used generic Flash or a Shaman Chain Heal has bounced and you're over healing. That's why I left the guide as R4 = Tank, R3 = Raid.

That's the difference between top tier raider and mid tier raider though ;)

Off-topic, In the add-ons (to be tested of course) is this beauty contributed by surveillance. If this works it will help a lot for Druids with our zzzz casting times...

On-topic. I'm not 100% on the Nightfin Soup/Sagefish Delight stacking. I was kind of hoping it was a working as intended buff stack because it drastically boosts the Sagefish value on a permanent basis.

Now that you've helpfully >:( brought it out into the open I suppose I'll have to research it properly..

Edited by Outstanding

1 hour ago, Elicas said:

3. Addons & Keybinding.

Depending on how comfortable you are with setting up addons, you have choices for how you set up your healing. In the old days the classic combo was Clique and Grid, nowadays I think most people use Luna Frames, which has the inbuilt functionality from both add ons as well as replacing the awful looking default unit frames.

@Outstanding reading skills there buddy.

xDxD 

1 minute ago, Elicas said:

@Outstanding reading skills there buddy.

xDxD 

Hurr. Actually it is the healing comms part that goes with Luna Frames I'm referring to. ;)

1 hour ago, Elicas said:

2. 7/0/44 Full Resto

This is the classic or basic 'newbie' healing spec. You HoT the tank with Rejuv and Regrowth, drop Rejuv on the melee team, and Swiftmend the tank between downranking HT. Closest to later expansion Druid healing, but it requires a certain amount of gear, because it is mana intensive to keep your HoTs rolling all the time.

Why would you put so many points in Balance? Save mana when getting rid of slowing effects? Is that worth it? I'd rather use those two points on Improved Tranquility.

What's more: Why put the 5 points to get to Natural Shapeshifter into an ability that is useless in most dungeons/raids? Improved Wrath is not much better, sure - but at least you could do some damage on trash mobs when farming MC.

9 minutes ago, Murok said:

Why would you put so many points in Balance? Save mana when getting rid of slowing effects? Is that worth it? I'd rather use those two points on Improved Tranquility.

What's more: Why put the 5 points to get to Natural Shapeshifter into an ability that is useless in most dungeons/raids? Improved Wrath is not much better, sure - but at least you could do some damage on trash mobs when farming MC.

Mainly because;

Nature's Grasp will be useful in PvP. Also useful out in the world in general. Shapeshifting can easily take the equivalent of half a dozen heals, Cat form is a 55% base mana cast for example. The scenarios you will really use Tranquillity can be counted on one hand for the entirety of Vanilla raiding.

With the amount of Nature Resistance mobs have and the lack of a decent Curse, I wouldn't even bother casting Wrath while raiding. There is a reason Boomkins can only use it on a select few mobs.

I don't do PvP and farming out of raids will be limited to plucking weeds. So Nature's Grasp never had/has real use for me. I used Tranquility in WoD retail a lot (yep, a completely different game, I know). And in respect of casting Wrath when there's nothing else to do: a little damage is more than idling around.

Edited by Murok

That's fine, if you prefer the Wrath cast reduction then take that, the 5 points to get the shapeshifting cost reduction are the least important part of the spec.

Tranquility is really quite niche compared to modern day WoW, even TBC onwards. You really wont use it all too much.

Understood.

1 minute ago, Elicas said:

the 5 points to get the shapeshifting cost reduction are the least important part of the spec.

Those last 5 points are practically useless for full Resto. Maybe I try that Nature's Grace build. Doesn't seem like one loses much deep down in the Resto tree. But is it worth dropping Nature's Focus?

Just now, Murok said:

Understood.

Those last 5 points are practically useless for full Resto. Maybe I try that Nature's Grace build. Doesn't seem like one loses much deep down in the Resto tree. But is it worth dropping Nature's Focus?

Yes, it's hands down the most effective Druid spec for healing, but you have to have the required Crit % to make the build work. There is only one fight in the whole game where you will get pushback in PvE, which is Vael. Any other time you get pushback is because you have a mob on you, in which case you're likely about to be dead anyway.

As far as the remaining 7 points for the full resto build;

• Furors does nothing, since you only shapeshift to remove Polymorph on Nef or slows.
  • Enrage does nothing.
  • Improved Tranquility is pointless.
  • Feral tree adds nothing.

Reduced Shapeshifting is literally the only other thing you can reach across the 3 trees that does anything for the spec.

2 minutes ago, Elicas said:

but you have to have the required Crit % to make the build work.

So it is crit > +heal then?

btw. concerning stats: Back in retail I was totally into mp5. I annoyed my mates first with the trinket from Dire Maul and then with the staff from Jin'do.;)

No no no, still +Healing over +crit, you just cant really use the spec until you have around ~30% unbuffed crit. Typically people start switching to it end of BWL/middle of AQ40, depending on how you are geared and how much buff stacking you do.

So much of the build is based around the -.5 second cast time from getting a crit, that if you don't have enough to maintain a solid ~30%+ uptime on the proc you are basically wasting the whole point of the spec.

@Elicas

OK, think I've cracked this. In patch 1.9 Blizzard introduced fishing pools to include Sagefish and Greater Sagefish with their respective recipes. In the patch notes they mention:

• Food and Drink are now in separate categories, so you can only have one food effect and one drink effect on you at a time. The only effect should be that foods that used to stack with each other (you could have two food effects on you at once) no longer will stack.

The reason for this is that some foods do not activate the 'well fed' buff and so therefore would previously stack with those that did. Nightfin Soup at the time did not activate the 'well fed' buff whereas Sagefish Delight did.

In relation to the double stacking, this appears to happen only in Nostalrius, I have a thread dated 14th November 2015 which states that 'after the core merge' Sagefish Delight and Nightfin Soup did stack. I'm not sure is this was fixed at a later point but it is clearly a bug in relation to the 1.9 patch as Blizzard intended. Therefore, on CF to match Vanilla we should have only one food buff and one alcohol buff available, no stacking.

@Nogar who has an interest in these things

I'd add corehound belt to the pre raid items. You can make it buy buying items off the AH, usually costs around 250-300g to make.

10 hours ago, Outstanding said:

@Elicas

OK, think I've cracked this. In patch 1.9 Blizzard introduced fishing pools to include Sagefish and Greater Sagefish with their respective recipes. In the patch notes they mention:

• Food and Drink are now in separate categories, so you can only have one food effect and one drink effect on you at a time. The only effect should be that foods that used to stack with each other (you could have two food effects on you at once) no longer will stack.

The reason for this is that some foods do not activate the 'well fed' buff and so therefore would previously stack with those that did. Nightfin Soup at the time did not activate the 'well fed' buff whereas Sagefish Delight did.

In relation to the double stacking, this appears to happen only in Nostalrius, I have a thread dated 14th November 2015 which states that 'after the core merge' Sagefish Delight and Nightfin Soup did stack. I'm not sure is this was fixed at a later point but it is clearly a bug in relation to the 1.9 patch as Blizzard intended. Therefore, on CF to match Vanilla we should have only one food buff and one alcohol buff available, no stacking.

@Nogar who has an interest in these things

Solid info bud, I got that from an ED post so it was also broken there then. I'll amend the guide and we need to make sure the devs know about it, something to test in the beta.

7 hours ago, MadeByRockets said:

I'd add corehound belt to the pre raid items. You can make it buy buying items off the AH, usually costs around 250-300g to make.

It's not really pre-raid gear if it comes from raid materials. While technically yes, you can get it crafted before you enter a raid, realistically on a new starting server it will be weeks if not months before guilds have finished gearing their own raiders and start selling materials. Corehound Belt is third BiS for the whole slot though, unless using T2 belt for the 3set bonus, so it deserves a place on the list at some point, but not yet.

That was really good Elica. I raided on nost from about dire maul on so I will add some advice based on my own experiences. 

Overview: The druid is the hardest healer to play because his heals are so long. For example if a paladin starts his heal .3 seconds after yours he will still get his heal off first and you will waste yours. The main part about raiding as a resto druid is learning how to work around these faster heals. I will talk more about this soon. There is a good side to the druids slower heals though. Bonus healing gets penalized at faster cast speeds, meaning the druid will scale better then other healers. Ultimately a druid can be a top 3 healer, but you will see it a lot less because he is so hard to play.  

Gearinghttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wGBasFY8fFGpBtiD1TAUBB99wxboCSVh5MW_6b_z0oU/pubhtml# study this list and always plan on how to upgrade effectively (dont just focus on prebis/bis but on any upgrades). Look at other lists as well since stats may vary based on the patch. Begin gearing early by saving up money for your boes while leveling. Also do quests for pre bis and other gear while leveling (like fordrings seal).  It is very important to gear effectively, you should know the location of every good item (even if not pre bis).  

5 mans: The most important thing is to be efficient. Go with a full resto build as swiftmend is very good for dungeons. Here is how a basic fight will go. 

1. Tank pulls mobs/boss. It is important not to hot the tank before he pulls as you will likely get aggro. 

2. Wait 1 to 2 seconds (you want to time your first heal for when the tank takes enough damage so this will vary). Cast healing touch r4 and cancel if it will over heal (even if only a little, efficiency is important). Immediately recast and repeat until the end of the fight. You can use varying ranks based the amount of damage being done to the tank but pay attention to the different cast times. You can cast rejuvenate before you begin chain healing r4 and you will want to do this if the tank will take a lot of damage. Keeping rejuvenation up will also allow you to swiftmend. 

3. If a party member is in trouble (or about to be) throw a rejuvenate on him. Then wait and if he is about to die switmend him and if not obviously don't waste it. This is why swiftmend is good because it allows you to deal effectively and quickly with non tank damage. You can also throw heals on your party members but prioritize the tank.  

4. Use ns+ht combo and swiftmend to emergency heal as needed.  

Use grid+clique for dungeon healing (its my favorite anyway). 

Raids: Things change a lot here because you have to adjust to other healers. Go with the moonglow spec for raids regardless of gear, I disagree with needing high crit. The moonglow spec also gives you good mana efficiency and ng is good even at low crit levels. Also swiftmend is ineffective in raids. It is a high cost burst heal meaning if it gets over healed by another healer you are losing a lot of efficiency. The difference between raid and dungeon healing is that your heals can be overwritten by other healers. Therefore you don't want to use heals that are long or cost a lot of mana (except in emergencies). You want a heal that is fast (why ng is good) and efficient. There is only one heal that the druid has that qualifies in my opinion and that is r3 ht (unfortunately you need 600/700+ healing for it to be good so use r4 till then). Honestly the best way to heal in raids is just to spam r3 ht and use ns+ht/regrowth for emergency heals. Get sraid frames (more range then luna), it will show on the frames who is getting healed and also get clique for faster healing with the mouse. For tank healing just spam r3 ht on the tank and never cancel unless hes not taking damage for some reason. You can use higher ranks on the tank but only if hes taking a massive amount of sustained damage like with the bwl trash or Garr adds. You will want to consider cancel casting if using a rank higher then 3, there is a risk in cancel casting though especially if you have high latency. For raid healing use rank 3 on people not being healed by others, you got to look at the healing indicators to do this. Cancel cast if the target is not taking continuous damage. You want to be healing constantly in fights if using r3.  Rejuvenation is situational, I only use it in some fights like jindo. Remember you can down rank rejuv. It is good in fights with low damage on a lot of people. Other then that I don't think it is worth the gcd.  

Some other things: Elica covered everything else pretty well but a few observations.

• Rejuv just overwrites when its the same rank and this is not based on +heal.  
  • You can grab improved regrowth + ng for vael  
  • http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=11904 is bis if it has pre 1.4 stats (+25 mana a cast)   

If you guys got other questions just ask, Im looking forward to this server. 

Edited by Rummi

Some more important things I thought about 

1. Switch to a staff with high spirit while innervating(use a macro). 

2. Use target of target frames to heal a fight with tank swapping.  

3. http://www.wowhead.com/item=19288/darkmoon-card-blue-dragon is the best mana regen trinket when casting constantly

4. The Druid zg trinket (http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=19955) is the most underrated in the game. It is incredibly good and I would recommend grabbing it.  

5. Never use tranquility  

6. If you get to 60 when dm is out then do dm e. Also grab your dm book from the ah and you can turn it in solo by stealthing. 

7. Get a raid frames with healing indicators and use mouse healing.  

8. Don't cast/renew rejuv if the target is taking alot of damage since it takes a gcd (unless you have swiftmend) 

Edited by Rummi
Forgot some things

I must add that I had Blue Dragon Card trinket on my priest and with almost always casting flash heal in most fights due to fast incoming damage either to tanks or to the raid it has not so much effective. The chance is so small that it will proc like 2-3 times a raid. Perhaps its mangos bug, or Kronos(where I played) or its designed like this, but its a bit more gimmick to me as the price of the trinket. So I think that you should not prioritize this over your fast mount for example. This is generally private server problem - all BiS, optimal items have ridiculous prices to begin with, Cassandra's Grace was like > 50g, which is by itself not much, but is still very high for item with not so great stats, even if BiS. Add to this the possibilities that a healer has to farm gold. So I mean rely more on dungeon loot for gearing preraid.

Also I would point that using addons like QuickHealing to cast appropriate spell and rank to the missing health of your target will help alot in dungeons, especially when gearing. In raids its pointless - there fast cast spells are most important and you will be more geared anyway. It is still very useful off combat to heal raid using less mana possible.

Great guide as always my friend.

@Rummi Thanks for the segue with @Elicas

One thing to ask though, how will Resto healing change during TBC? I could look this up of course, but better getting the anecdotal version. Yes, it's 16+ months away after server launch but no harm in finding out what the differences are. I'm kind of guessing that the casting times are lessened and the HoT's become more relevant. I'm coming to this from a resto Shaman perspective where TBC was a constant spam of /join raid/instance/guild 

1 hour ago, Outstanding said:

@Rummi Thanks for the segue with @Elicas

One thing to ask though, how will Resto healing change during TBC? I could look this up of course, but better getting the anecdotal version. Yes, it's 16+ months away after server launch but no harm in finding out what the differences are. I'm kind of guessing that the casting times are lessened and the HoT's become more relevant. I'm coming to this from a resto Shaman perspective where TBC was a constant spam of /join raid/instance/guild 

You still have 3 main builds;

The traditional Natures Grace/Moonglow build is dead and replaced with a more advanced one called Dreamstate.

Feral/Resto hybrid is more powerful and still alive, but still not as good as just going Feral/Resto. 0/34/27 gives you feral charge, feral fairie fire, leader of the pack and survival of the fittest for tanking, and you use downranked Healing Touch much like a vanilla druid for healing.

You then have 2 main healing builds. One (33/0/28) takes Naturalist and Empowered Touch from the Resto tree while going far enough down in Balance to get Dreamstate and downranks like a Vanilla Druid. With everything from the balance side of the build, you have;

25% of your int as +healing.
9% reduces cost of HT.
10% of your int as +mp5.
-0.5 sec cast time on crit.

as well as an extra +24% +healing coefficient on your HT from Restoration and -10% HT mana cost. It's not an awful tank healing build, but you effectively turn into a Paladin, you miss out on the new stuff added into Resto like Lifebloom and Tree of Life. It has slightly less mana efficiency than the Lifebloom spec, and is significantly more boring.

The other is the classic 0/0/42 +19. You roll Regrowth, Rejuv and Lifebloom on the tank, renewing Lifebloom every 6 seconds to maintain a 3stack HoT, with NS + HT and Swiftmend as your emergency big heals (though you cant use HT in tree of life form). The extra 19 points can either grab the HT/Tranquility talents in Resto (not recommended) or stick 19 points into Balance for when you are farming or DPSing in dungeons. This is what most Druids will take.

You'll still only likely have 1 or 2 Druids per 25 man raid, Shamans are still really powerful AoE healers in TBC and Priest/Paladins are still fantastic main tank healers, but for sheer efficiency and fun playstyle you can't beat a HoT rolling Druid.

I'll have much better Druid guides up when me transition to 2.4.3, I'm much more familiar with resto Druids in TBC and WotLK.

Hi @Joyman are you gonna go from priest to druid? 

15 hours ago, Joyman said:

I must add that I had Blue Dragon Card trinket on my priest and with almost always casting flash heal in most fights due to fast incoming damage either to tanks or to the raid it has not so much effective. The chance is so small that it will proc like 2-3 times a raid.

Well it procs 2 percent of the time so that means it will proc on average every 50 casts (slightly less since it wont overlap). Therefore  it will proc every 50*1.5 = 75 seconds of constant cast time. So it might very well be bugged on your server. If it is working it translates to roughly 18 mp5 if you are casting constantly.  This depends on your cast speed  as well as your spirit, but 18 is a reasonable number for flash heal and raid buffed spirit. It will be slightly less mp5 for druids since they have a cast speed of 2 seconds. 18 mp5 makes it the best mana regen trinket in the game when casting constantly. Although you will not always need mana regen (vael) or may not always be casting constantly (chromag). Therefore it is situational, I would still pick it up though. Also get shard of the scale which is the best mana regen trinket when not casting constantly.  

This is generally private server problem - all BiS, optimal items have ridiculous prices to begin with, Cassandra's Grace was like > 50g, which is by itself not much, but is still very high for item with not so great stats, even if BiS. Add to this the possibilities that a healer has to farm gold. So I mean rely more on dungeon loot for gearing preraid.

I agree Joyman, I would not pick up Cassandras Grace. You can get http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=18490 pretty easily, so its not worth it. However if an item does not have a easy substitute from dungeons then I would buy it.   

Also I would point that using addons like QuickHealing to cast appropriate spell and rank to the missing health of your target will help alot in dungeons, especially when gearing. In raids its pointless - there fast cast spells are most important and you will be more geared anyway. It is still very useful off combat to heal raid using less mana possible.

Don't use quickheal on the druid. For example lets say that your target is at -500 health. If you cast a 500 heal then this probably wont heal him up because in 2.5 seconds, when your heal goes off, he is likely at a lot less health. Also if you target is at full health and about to take damage you should be healing for the same reason.  

@Outstanding 

They are completely different play styles. The vanilla druid mostly uses direct heals and fits in hots every now and then. The tbc druid does the exact opposite, mostly rolling hots on tanks and fitting in direct heals every now and then.