Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Adalon

Professions

31 posts in this topic

So, most of my time playing WoW was spent as a Priest with Tailoring/Enchanting. While I loved it, I plan on playing either a Paladin or Shaman depending on where I end up. I assume both of these classes do not really use the ones I have experience with.

So what's professions are ideal for each class? Are there a few crafted items that are really worth using, or is it better to just create gold and wait for drops? If so, what's a good money maker? Is a PvE economy very different to a PvP one?

I await your wisdom. :)

Edited by Adalon

38 minutes ago, Adalon said:

I await your wisdom. :)

*tumbleweed*

*much later*

PvE economy differs from PvP as people can farm as they choose and not have to bring half their guild with them to protect resources. Having said that, PvP economies tend to be stronger owing to larger populations. So it all balances out in the end.

My experience is that healing classes tend to go flower picking/alchemy as it's such an obvious compliment. It's the mages that tend to go tailoring/enchanting. Warriors blacksmithing/mining and so forth.

But for vanilla, the bold choice while levelling is to go for two gathering professions such as mining/herbing/skinning to maximise gold as you level. This can pay for both mounts if the numbers add up. You can always revert to a more normal set-up at 60, after all, you'll have an epic mount to speed things up.

Lastly, in PVP, engineering is king and can also add a little bit extra for PvE.

I always picked Herbalism/Alchemy, especially on vanilla. They called me a potion-addict also, since I would drink ALL possible stackable things at once even on 5man run or questing (and vanilla indeed had so much possibilities to stack dmgpotions, like arcane elixir and greater arcane elixir stacked if drunk in a correct order and so on.) And one bag half-full or mana potions, as you could drink as many of them as cooldowns let you per fight.

Also I used to spend a lot of time just herbing around the world, like HOURS :D get them dreamfoils, silversages and lotuses and epic mount came in "no-time"... so I considered these as the best choice if you were not for raiding as you could boost your damage for a ridiculous percentage, like +50% on 5mans just with potions/flask (or food/scroll/wizard's oil, but from different profession). Or just sell stuff to raiders with a gooood income!

Also, flasks must be created in scholomance so they definitely have some value! :) But if I remember correctly, their recipes was a real pain in the ass to get (like 5% drop from a final boss from some 5man) or buying from AH with like 200g-500g each.

So yeah, thats my way to do it, ofc you can buy them all from AH, but it aint really that cheap that way. Enchants and other min-maxing things I can just buy with the income made from herbing ;)

Apologizes abt my confusing english, its not A+, nowhere near :)

Depends really on how much you want to min-max.

Engineering is excellent on both classes, especially if you plan on doing any PvP. You'll need the stuns and the net at least. Mining is the natural compliment and can generate some decent cash if you are able to grab some Arcane Crystals.

Tailoring and Enchanting doesn't really do much for either class, unless you want to run as a Elemental Shaman in PvE, in which case the extra Bloodvine set bonus is very nice.

Herbalism might not be the money maker people expect on this server, depending on whether or not @Darkrasp reverts the Black Lotus soulbinding changes. BL was bind on pickup until 1.7.0, severely limiting the cash flow of anyone who didn't take alchemy as their second proff.

i'd only pick blacksmithing if you are your guilds blacksmith. same goes with other profs that rely heavily on rare recipies that drop from raids.

PvE wise i'd say Herbalism is mandatory, this way you can farm your own consumables and, ofcourse, make money.

My second pick is imo Engineering, as it gets super useful, especially once you enter Naxx, DK wing especially. but it is optional. (rogues with jumper cables when no SS is up are pure love.)

The best possible Profession combo for PvP differs per faction, I guess people will still rank even though it's a PvE server ;)

As an Alliance Engineering + a random profession of your choice is best.  I know I know, i'm being obvious. As a non warrior/dwarf priest i'd say BS is king for thwle fear trinket. A solo que'r, like myself, might take Alchemy for FAP's but essentially the Alliance got Paladins.

As a Horde the best combination is Engineering and Alchemy, as Horde doesn't have Blessing of Freedom Action Potions are the best, Even more so when ZG is released.

As a PVP-orientated Holy Priest i'd start with mining + Tailoring, farm Truefaith vestments and ditch it for Engineering after you made the robes. (I saved my mining mats on bank alts)

ofcourse none of this wil get you rich. but these prof combos optimize your performance. (I guess you could say "in the long term")

but, tbh, pick want you like. 

oh and as a druid pvper engi/bs is the best. you'll eat locks. 

Edited by Munin

I'm going to start with Herbalism and Skinning, banking the herbs and high level hides/leathers. When I have enough material for some decent leather recipes (e. g. Hide of the Wild) Skinning is going to be dropped for Alchemy.

My goal is not to get rich but to avoid being unable to use consumables in dungeons/raids due to lack of gold.

Originally had skinning/LW on Nost, but will switch to mining/engineering on this server...for guns/ammo while lvling, shells/cables for raiding, and gadget teleport. (not looking forward to having a node-based gathering prof, but hey I can just go farm gold or something if the veins are too crowded)

Edited by Momonn

apart from Elwynn forest I never had any difficulties finding node spawns on Nost.

I played as a human Warrior there too, so my clas wasn't ideal for farming, on the PvE realm btw.:)

also, I usually level an alt to level 10 asap so I can DE my own greens, as you can DE everything in Vanilla with just journeyman Enchanting. 

Edited by Munin

I've been thinking about doing engineering with a prot pally to do group pulls from a distance, but not sure if that's viable.

I like to have a mage or priest with tailor/enchant, and the other of the two usually herb/alch. Skinning/LW I put on my druid, BS on pally usually. Engineering also on hunter for ammo & weapons.

9 minutes ago, prostheus said:

I've been thinking about doing engineering with a prot pally to do group pulls from a distance, but not sure if that's viable.

I like to have a mage or priest with tailor/enchant, and the other of the two usually herb/alch. Skinning/LW I put on my druid, BS on pally usually. Engineering also on hunter for ammo & weapons.

Grenade pulling is perfectly viable, as long as your group knows you are doing it. You'll need alot of grenades for each dungeon though.

I don't think we're making Black Lotus soulbound, but we'll be pursuing a number of ways of handling it's spawning locations and patterns to prevent spawn camping.  It'll still be relatively rare, but there for the taking for anyone who wants to put in the time to hunt it down.

22 hours ago, Elicas said:

Grenade pulling is perfectly viable, as long as your group knows you are doing it. You'll need alot of grenades for each dungeon though.

Hmmm, good point.  I hadn't even thought of the material usage and quantities required!  Then again I haven't maxed out a prot pally yet, I'd first see how he plays without the grenades I think.  Besides, I don't think any other class really has any kind of group pull ability.

1 hour ago, prostheus said:

Hmmm, good point.  I hadn't even thought of the material usage and quantities required!  Then again I haven't maxed out a prot pally yet, I'd first see how he plays without the grenades I think.  Besides, I don't think any other class really has any kind of group pull ability.

The closest to instant aoe threat would be a Warrior charge & Tclap combo, though that is crappy threat and puts you into melee, which is why they typically start with a shot and LoS.

Druids can do group pulls, but it is mana intensive. You tab Moonfire through the group (starting with casters) which gives you the pull threat, the initial hit and then a ticking DoT threat, as the first mob gets to you, you shift to Bear and LoS. Again, not the same, but the closest a Druid can do.

Paladins have no ranged pull at all, unless you are fighting undead/demons and use Exorcism. Grenades are really helpful for them, especially in leveling dungeons. Initial aggro in leveling dungeons can be the difference between you tanking the pack easily, and you having to use all your mana on consecrate and judgeing. You have no taunt, you really want the initial spike from the group.

if you are semi skilled in micro-ing as a warrior tank you should be able to charge thunderclap def stance cleave/sunder/revenge and be able to keep threat. you shouldnt use ss unless a mob is lose and you got enough rage.

most problematic in pack encounters are casters, ie strath skele casters. in which case bloodrage - shoot los - tc - def stance - demo works fine for me.

succesfully dealing with large packs also involves half brained dps not immediatly going all out, rather wait a few seconds.

there is no reason to range pull unless the chance to pull another pack is high. however it is the safe choice and works great for tanks that always tab through their targets. and dont use the overhead healthbar to precisely pick up strays. (instead of tabbing through 3 others before reaching your designated target)

talking from a 5 to 10 man perspective as i've only ever tanked those. oh, and a zg once but with a t3 priest that was insanely good.. and idk if it was scripted very well.

3 hours ago, Elicas said:

Druids can do group pulls, but it is mana intensive. You tab Moonfire through the group (starting with casters) which gives you the pull threat, the initial hit and then a ticking DoT threat, as the first mob gets to you, you shift to Bear and LoS. Again, not the same, but the closest a Druid can do.

I'm a noob druid but the druid tank in my ED guild taught me to use the healing dots on myself then FF and LoS. Worked pretty well when I used to multibox the five mans.

15 minutes ago, DeeMarie said:

I'm a noob druid but the druid tank in my ED guild taught me to use the healing dots on myself then FF and LoS. Worked pretty well when I used to multibox the five mans.

Yup, but that's not really a group pull the equivalent of the aoe damage of a grenade for initial pick up, which is the scope of this convo ;)

Efficiency wise for a Druid, If you want to max your threat spread, Ccst balance Fairie Fire on one mob for the initial pick up, LoS and cast Rejuv, Bear, and Feral Fire the first mob that reaches you. Gives you 2x armour debuff for swiping + healing threat + initial threat spike. I'm not a fan of using Regrowth, it's a bit too mana intensive, and I tend to shapeshift a lot to drop Rejuvs on the group between packs and generally help out, which can also be an effective way to pull another group. If you have 2-3 Rejuvs ticking after HoTing up your group, shift into Bear and just facecharge the next group (if you don't need to worry about pulling adds/patrols) and the ticking Rejuvs will keep anything extra on you for the first few seconds.

17 minutes ago, DeeMarie said:

Ah of course. Would Hurricane work as an aoe pull?

It could do I suppose. It's target based like Blizzard without the slow, so you'll only likely get one or two ticks of damage before mobs move out of it. Since you aren't in bear while channelling it you're looking at a flat rate ~134 threat per tick per mob hit + initial pull spike for 1495 mana. It's probably not an completely awful spell for a nervous or first time tank to pull with, but if you're going to do it every pull you'll be drinking after every second or third pack probably. I certainly wouldn't recommend it though.

I am probably going to roll a holy priest as on Nost where I went for Tailoring/Enchanting for Truefaith Vestments and the fact that Enchanting matches well with Tailoring. I still was able to farm efficiently in DM E as holy but since it looks like the drop rates from the lashers are going to be lower here I am considering going Herb/Alchemy for some income to finance mounts and enchants. What are your thoughts?

Tailoring/Enchanting = means you're really poor while levelling, but lucrative later on (mooncloth etc) Herb/Alchemy is a good boost to levelling and worth gold at max level.

I'm going to stick with T/E mainly for the wand while levelling and cloth gear.

I usually pick Tailoring / Enchanting, but I always find myself broke and do not find it that useful in the early levels. I might go Herbalism / Mining or Herbalism / Alchemy (never tried it). I'd like to be able to puchase my mount at 40 without too much of a grind...

Looking at Herb/Mining, sell the mining stuff and switch it out for Alchemy.

I thought about Mining/Engi but that seems more of a PvP server route to take.

10 hours ago, Adalon said:

Looking at Herb/Mining, sell the mining stuff and switch it out for Alchemy.

I thought about Mining/Engi but that seems more of a PvP server route to take.

Yeah, that's the feeling. 

And maybe, maybe I'll manage to level cooking and FA for once. I always drop the ball on the cooking part (being a mage, I grow lazy) and always used my cloth fo Tailoring. Time to try somehing new !

1 hour ago, DeeMarie said:

Don't forget fishing too ;)

Trying to remember when they added http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patch_of_Elemental_Water to Azshara, I've never seen this implemented on a private server.

But but but I'm not doing anything while I fish ! I know there's some nice bonus from cooking+fishing, but I've always been bored to death by fishing... Maybe it'll get better as I gow older ^^