Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DeeMarie

Fast n'Furious or Driving Miss Daisy - Levelling

65 posts in this topic

Wondering how people intend on levelling on the PvE server - as fast as possible or smelling the roses as they go?

I've always gone for fast as possible to stay ahead of the ganking but since this is PvE might be nice to take it easy.

On the other hand, depending on the guilds that show up, it's always fun to go for raid firsts :)

Fast as possible. I'll be hunting UBRS key and MC clear within ~6 weeks I hope :)

Depends on when the realms are launched? I can probably get away with 15-20 hours max per week depending on relations with the wife so there's no point in rushing anything. But if the realms were launched around Dec 25th (to be politically correct) then I could probably speed level. I would like to be at the top 10% levelling wise as there are huge advantages in gathering resources and laying down structures for my toon army (not Newcastle).

As for levelling up, we can broaden this discussion by talking about tactics. I've never been there for a server launch so I'm well looking forward to it. Getting 'ahead of the curve' seems to be the mantra and so pushing to maintain 5+ levels on the bulk of the players means getting to quest hubs and handing them in, is so much easier. Which starting area is also critical. So for me, the easier option would normally be Mulgore/Silverpine Forest, although based on the # of Druids that may not be the case. I'm pretty good at levelling as I mix of grinding and questing but most of this has been alliance. So i might not be so good on horde.

Either way, you want to avoid the usual choke points by either being ahead of the curve, or else just stake your names and come back in a week when everything has died down. 

Rolling warrior.

So

VERY
VERY

slowly

easily the worst lvling class

I'll be taking my time...mainly due to RL but also because levelling is to be enjoyed, not endured. (never done day 1 before either, so I dunno what'll happen)

I just hope the content timeline gets altered so there's more time between raid tiers...I really don't want to miss out on AQ40/Naxx because it took me longer than 3-4 weeks to reach 60 (it'll probably take twice as long), thus potentially having trouble finding a suitable raid spot :(  (esp. given that hunters are supposed to be useless in later tiers?)

Edited by Momonn

4 minutes ago, Momonn said:

I'll be taking my time...mainly due to RL but also because levelling is to be enjoyed, not endured. (never done day 1 before either, so I dunno what'll happen)

I just hope the content timeline gets altered so there's more time between raid tiers...I really don't want to miss out on AQ40/Naxx because it took me longer than 3-4 weeks to reach 60 (it'll probably take twice as long), thus potentially having trouble finding a suitable raid spot :(  (esp. given that hunters are supposed to be useless in later tiers?)

Hunters are mandatory for BWL, which wont be off the raid timetable til well after AQ releases. If you are anywhere near half competent you're already better than half the hunter who'll roll on the server.

Don't worry about it :)

I have to get two projects done at work till end of November. If everything goes as planned I'll take my almost year's worth of holiday (22 days left ...) around Christmas. Ideally for me the server will launch in the first week of December. In that case I predict hitting 60 around February (so 2 to 3 months after starting). If the server launches later or there's no time for me to use my holiday this time could well be doubled.

So certainly not fast and furious for me.

Smelling the Roses for sure.

Every time I have dashed through it all I ended up regretting it and being bored since there was barely anyone at my level to play with for a good month.

Another slow leveller here. I play alongside my wife whenever I can, however she doesn't pay much so I tend to level at least two toons at once.

Slow, this time i will be fishing and cooking on the way ^_^

Pretty slow here, don't have much time to play between work and family... And I enjoy the leveling process, so it'll work out !

I have been in server openings in retail Vanilla, it's was quite hectic, it was prettty hard to get a hold of quests mobs and everyone was trying to get out of the bottelneck starting zone asap. I'm notre sure it'll get any better until after a few weeks at least.

13 hours ago, Zecov said:

@DeeMarie getting tired of server firsts and wanna slow down huh? :P

Some of us are getting old! Besides, hard to get first as a priest :P

slow leveler here too, going to roll a rogue and level all professions simultaneously, including fishing and cooking of course.

i've tried speed leveling in the past, trying to fit in raiding guilds. But that is no longer what i find fun, i enjoy fully developing my character much more interesting, slowly going to the finishline.

Another two slow levelers here. I play with my girl so we only level when both have the time. Usually we only farm and/or craft when alone.

I am also a completionist freak so we tend to complete every fucking quest  in the zones that we visit, no matter how many exp we will get.

I'll be leveling prot, so ... O.o

I also tend to keep my professions ahead of my level, mostly because I hate going back to lowbie zones to farm mats as a high level, bores me stiff.

On the slow side for sure.

32 minutes ago, Roadblock said:

I also tend to keep my professions ahead of my level, mostly because I hate going back to lowbie zones to farm mats as a high level, bores me stiff.

I'd be interested in your experience, I never manage to do that. How do you ?

It would obvisouly be beneficial, but I guess I prefer leveling to grinding mats...

If you pick lw/skinning or tailor/enchanting, for example, you can level by grinding mobs. So as a priest picking tailoring, I might spend more time grinding humanoids and choosing humanoid killing quests over non-cloth drops.

Gathering professions are a pain if you're trying to level, they do hold you back, but money wise they can be well worth it. You might have all those thorium veins and arcane crystals to yourself, or black lotus spawns, if you can stay ahead of the crowd ;)

Speed lvling was never of any interest to me. While I see the benefits of getting ahead of the crowd, I always tend to see lvling as a vital part of building my ingame persona whether it is through WPVP, RP, helping others, running dungeons just for fun, simply enjoying the process of character development. So as with previous chars, I will take my time to enjoy the journey once again however long it may take...

I'm pretty slow when it comes to leveling. Without getting into detail I'll just say that I don't like focusing on leveling 100%. 

There's also the fact that I take breaks from the game every now and then to either do something else or play something else. Wouldn't surprise me if it took me upwards of 6 months to hit max level. 

1 hour ago, hettar987 said:

I'd be interested in your experience, I never manage to do that. How do you ?

It would obvisouly be beneficial, but I guess I prefer leveling to grinding mats...

I don't think it's beneficial or the most efficient way, probably best to either grind the gold and buy the mats or get your mount and farm the lowbie mats as a high level if we're talking effort per result.

Since both of those things are not enjoyable to me I indulge myself. There's no particular planning, taking mining / bs as an example I just don't leave the zones where copper can be mined until I've skilled up BS to where I don't need copper, and make crafting a part of the town city visit for repairs/vendor trash etc. Nostalrius is my most recent (and only) p server experience after classic in retail, iron was a bitch since for some reason the primary zone for it (Tanaris) was full of thorium instead, but that hitch aside it didn't go too bad.

It slows leveling down a bit but (1) I can make stuff that are actually useful to equip while leveling (2) it spreads some boring parts (for me) of the game thin, instead of having to do them all condensed at the end.

Depends on the faction I end up playing really..  If it's Horde "fast and furious"  if it's Alliance "80 year old grandma"  because I've never seen the storylines on Alliance side :)

On 29.08.2016 г. at 5:07 PM, Roadblock said:

iron was a bitch since for some reason the primary zone for it (Tanaris) was full of thorium instead, but that hitch aside it didn't go too bad.

I will level with my own speed and pace and also will level my professions while leveling. Best place for iron that I found was Desolace, but I guess most people don't like the zone.

1 minute ago, Joyman said:

I will level with my own speed and pace and also will level my professions while leveling. Best place for iron that I found was Desolace, but I guess most people don't like the zone.

If you're horde yea :)

I didn't go to zones specifically for farming, I just tried to combine questing and such with it; Desolace is desolate for Alliance :P