Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ilovecats

Hunter or Shadow Priest for open world wandering?

Hello

I don't want to fall into altoholism again and I'd like to settle on a single character. I mostly wander around and collect stuff, I also want to try the legendary Vanilla open world PvP. I understand that raids ard necessary to get the best possible gear, so I will try that too.

I've heard that spriests are OP in PvP, but does it mean they have no place in raids? How do they fare in general?

My other option is a hunter, as the only reason for me to roll a NElf is so I can ride a cat, have a pet cat and a companion cat. I love cats. But then they have poor dps and I don't know how do they fare in PvP on level 60.

What are the pros and cons of these classes? I would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

Hunters on PvE are not the best DPSers but they provide utility to the raid, I'll give you a quote from Elicas as an example: 

"Not directly as dps, but as utility dps they are absolutely mandatory. They are the only class able to dispell enrage effects as Zaph said.

Just from the first couple of 40 man raids;

Magmadar in MC.
Ebonroc (possibly? one of the three drakes, can't remember which exactly now) in BWL.
Chromaggus in MC.

Chromaggus at minimum needs three hunters rotating enrage dispells to make things smooth, most guilds use four.

Add to that, kiting in phase one of Broodlord in BWL as well.

That's 3 bosses that mandatory must have more than one hunter, and a fourth where hunters kiting makes the first phase significantly easier. That's just in the first two large raids."

So yes, you can get a raid spot. PvP on the other hand, it takes some skills as a hunter but can definitely be viable. Here's a guide that explains you how to play: http://retro-wow.com/forum/archive/index.php?thread-2416.html Also leveling is really easy for hunters.

I don't know anything about priests unfortunately.

Spriest are OP PvP but as we start off with 8 slot debuffs  you won't get a raiding slot for a while. Even then, at 16 debuffs, just one raiding slot.. 

As hunter, one of the best PvP pets is Broken Tooth from Badlands which is a mountain lion so should meet your criteria. *warning* expect much griefing in trying to attain in PvP servers. 

i think hunters are better at that since they hard counter more classes in an open-world pvp situation as long as they dont get within 36 yards of you

Shadow priest is sick in PvP, but for PvE, do not expect to get a raidspot untill ZG and onwards, where bosses have 16 debuff slots. However Shadow Priests run out of mana easily, and guilds will most likely only allow 1 spriest in their raids for the Shadow Weaving debuff (15% extra shadow dmg) to support the warlocks.

Hunters take skill to master in PvP, with pet management and traps, but they are indeed very viable in PvP. They are always needed in PvE, they provide a lot of utility and can do some decent damage. Certain bosses needs to be dispelled for enrage effects which only hunters can do, and some bosses will need to be kited to make the kill easier.

The solution is to take a few days off from work, level up quickly and tame Broken Tooth before all the others : D

I don't really want to be a healer, so rolling a pure dps class is a perfect choice for me, therefore I'm quite certain I will choose the hunter.

Thank you all for the answers and may our wait for the release be short.

I've strictly mained hunter in every iteration of wow that I've played and I find vanilla to be the most fun as a hunter. In terms of World PvP, Hunters are excellent for ganking as well as escape. I spent countless hours on my Hunter on Nostalrius just riding around, discovering new areas I'd never been to before. One of my favorite things to do in the world was to find a hill overlooking a road and place a trap along the path. I loved watching my trap stop a fully geared r14 Mage in his tracks.

In terms of Raid DPS, hunters fall off extremely fast after MC and BWL. However, hunter DPS is mandatory. Tranq shot is required for MC, BWL, AQ40 and Naxx raid. Assuming that this server reaches AQ40 and Naxx, atleast 2 hunters must be taken to these raids. Hunters also bring tons of utility to the raid the form of Trueshot aura, kiting, nature resist aura, and memes.

In my opinion, Hunters are the most unique class in vanilla for their vast amount of skills and menagerie of pets. Well equipped, capable hunters can stand a chance against pretty much any class. If you play the class correctly and avoid getting deadzoned, hunter pvp is so much fun! 1v1ing spellcasters can be difficult but if you are prepared with an icereflector, you can rival a mage. The beauty of a hunter is if you come across that scary Warlock or any other class for that matter, you can simply just run away and find a better opportunity to open on them.

Another great thing about hunters is their ability to solo instances. While it seems Crestfall is taking measures to prevent hunters from soloing DM North tributes, you can still run Maraudon, Zul'Farrak, and many other lower level dungeons for a decent profit. 

When it comes to shadowpriests, they are amazing in 1v1 and blackout will destroy hunters. Having 1 shadow priest in a raid is okay to empower your warlocks but they are pretty shit tier dps. 

Hunters perform very well in PvP if you are above average at the class. Average hunters are decent kills. Since most players are the average, hence the word average, generally speaking they are not an incredible PvP class. I've seen some people do incredibly well with Hunters. In WPvP they can create situations where they can shoot at you from about 40 yards away while moving with the target in order to ensure they keep their advantage. Hunters can be a real pain to deal with but I don't consider them as good as Shadow Priests.  Shadow Priests are just so good that even average players are a force to be reckoned with.

The good news is that both Hunters and Shadow Priests do not require top of the line gear in order to be effective in PvP. Just the blue PvP set will last you quite a while.

Hunters dominate World PvP and BGs. Viper Sting is also stupidly OP in Classic. This is probably the best PvP class until you get up to the arena, which doesn't exist in Classic. But out in the world, Rogue/Shaman are also good choices. Warriors are vulnerable, but shine in BGs at 60 with healers.

Shadow Priests really aren't any good in Classic. Blizzard put it in as a solo leveling build... and not much else. They can stomp someone in a fight easily enough with their brute force DPS... The problem is you run out of mana right afterwards, and are then left with a wand. Warlocks/Mages are far better at DPS in the long run because of their superior longevity. Shadows didn't become any good at max level until BC, where Blizzard finally showed mercy for the tree and added Vampiric Touch/Shadowfiend for your mana problems. In Classic, about all they're good for at 60 is Shadow Weaving for your Warlocks. You also have tier sets that focus on +healing. This is assuming a raid will even slot you, or let you snatch DPS gear from their Warlocks/Mages.

Edited by Drain
better

Spriests indeed wreck face. This occurs when you run right into one and have no back up and limited escape options. Their advantages diminish rapidly though.

Spriests have no speed boosts and if their main cc is countered they have limited means of escaping combat or managing multiple opponents. If outnumbered their survival potential collapses rapidly. They have funky tools and gimmicks but few help in open world when compared to a hunter.

Hunters may hit a brick wall against certain classes more so than a Spriest in straight up combat but they have multiple tools to kite and escape or prolong the fight until it tips toward their favor. When it comes to mastering open world combat, exploration and survival (perhaps odd seeing how they can't self-heal but it's the reality) few other classes share so many benefits (ferals likely closest). All of these hunter perks also can vanish instantly if played by someone not experience with hunter tactics.

Comparing the 2 classes is really one of the most extreme comparisons one can make in Wow. This is not just a comparison of play style which is indeed widely different but also in function and purpose.

Edited by Tamanous