Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

VeloxBanks

What's your favorite weapon in Vanilla WoW?

66 posts in this topic

As the title suggests I'm interested in your favorite weapon(s).

One of the (in my opinion valid) points that Vanilla fans sometimes bring up when explaining why they like it is that there's a much stronger "bond" between the player and his or her gear. Of course, this applies more to higher tier items but I'm not restricting the question to that since the type of "bond" formed is determined by the player (if there is any at all). If you for whatever reason have a grey dagger as your favorite weapon (perhaps there's a funny story behind how you acquired it?) please do tell. Maybe you'll never even use the weapon when playing as your main class but you simply like the design. Maybe you simply adore it for it's stats and utility. Maybe it's lore intrigues you. There are many reasons why one might find a certain weapon particularly appealing to them. These reasons are also of interest to me.

My pick would be the Cruel Barb. One of the rare items dropped by VanCleef in the Deadmines. I have some fond memories from that place. One of the fondest being the Cruel Barb, my first rare item. Pried from the cold, dead hands of the leader of the Defias himself. Sure, it's not a grand achievement from a gameplay perspective, but for someone who enjoys roleplay and character story, acquiring such an item is quite satisfying.

So now it's your turn. What'll it be? Perhaps someday we'll go after it together.

Interesting short story. I too enjoyed the excitement of finally reaching VanCleef after which you'd quickly find out if you needed to do it all again for Cruel Barb haha :) 

However my pick would be Kalimdor's Revenge. Purely because it's the first proper weapon I acquired back in retail on my terribly geared warrior where I soon after began playing Paladin. I always kept Kalimdor's Revenge though, so it has some sort of odd sentimental value. Even though I've spent a thousand times longer on farming all other kinds of gear, seeing it always makes me feel some sort of nostalgia. My warrior in retail still wears it to this day haha :') 

[Felstriker]

This is easily my favorite weapon in the entire game. It's extremely fun to hit huge spikes as a dagger rogue and seeing your dps shoot up the charts, or dumpstering some pesky undead mage in PvP. Not to mention it opens up so many possibilities for assassination specs too. Finally getting this elusive stabber is also really satisfying because it normally takes you so many runs just to see it drop. The first time I saw one of these drop I was in a pug and there was a master-looter. I jumped out of my chair in shock and then frantically did a /roll. 23. I rolled a 23. Another warrior in the pug rolled an 88 and we were the only rollers. I was so salty that I finally saw it drop and I lost the damn roll, but the warrior ended up even saltier because the master-looter (who I didn't even know at the time) gave it to me anyway. He said he wasn't going to give a dagger to a warrior over a dagger rogue and the warrior (rightfully so) raged in chat for a few minutes before ninja pulling then leaving. Adding insult to injury Painweaver Band dropped that run as well, I won the roll on that too with something pathetic like a 12.

This was my first epic dagger to drop for me and I was so excited to use it. However, the master-looter felt pretty bad about screwing over the warrior who actually won it fair and square. We both knew how nice that dagger was for offhand fury because it would proc flurry among other things. All of the shenanigans surrounding my acquisition of the dagger and the general enjoyment I got from just using it created a weapon I couldn't have unequipped. I will go for another [Felstriker] when Crestfall launches without a doubt, hopefully without a victim this time.. see you all in UBRS ;). It really is a shame that Blizzard stopped making armor and weapons that had interesting effects on them from BC onward, in a lot of ways it seems they forgot WoW was an MMORPG.

A fishing pole.

When I fish and after some time the mobs I had killed respawn and I realise that I forgot to switch to a proper weapon...

Arcanite Reaper without a doubt. It was on my first char, NE warrior shortly after hitting 60. I felt so proud to have it my hands I would just run around SW showing off....ah the memories...

I am going to cheat.

As a warrior levelling with dual wield, I can't pick just one favourite. However, I can pick a favourite pair of weapons which I have used for a long time. They have helped me through tough times.

Vanquisher's Sword ( <3 )

Sword of Omen ( <3 ) 

The first time I got to hold these swords I felt unstoppable. The feeling didn't change much while rocking through levels. These are the first weapons I actually got enchanted during my journey on Nostalrius. As a warrior (I'm sure some other classes like rouges aswell), these weapons will be held and used in battle for a long time. For me, this created a bond.

I miss my two swords, ready to rightfully reclaim them.

Edited by Clavus

Perdition's Blade.

Not very original I guess, but it's an iconic Vanilla Rogue Weapon, very good for its tier with an unique and awesome skin and dropping from a boss / instance I've always enjoyed fighting / raiding.

Edited by Youfie

1 hour ago, Clavus said:

Ah yes. I was thinking about this one too. Mostly for the looks. Though the quest always struck me a bit out of place and too direct so it's definitely not mundane to me.

Oh, and I remembered Brushwood Blade! Looks like a proper sword, sheathes on back for impractical use but cool looks.

1 hour ago, Youfie said:

Perdition's Blade. (...)with an unique and awesome skin (...)

Well, initially... http://www.wowhead.com/item=21522/shadowsongs-sorrow

Edited by Xaverius

The Warden Staff.

BiS for every feral tank, it's a level 43 world drop with no real lore or anywhere to specifically farm for it, that usually sells in the 100-350g range depending on how old the server is. I usually buy this before my epic mount, it's that important.

I always imagined, from the name, that it belonged to one of the Bear Druids from Warcraft 3 who had been awoken to defend the world tree, dying in the legions final assault.

1 hour ago, Xaverius said:

Oh, and I remembered Brushwood Blade! Looks like a proper sword, sheathes on back for impractical use but cool looks.

3.00 speed one-hander :o

1 hour ago, Elicas said:

BiS for every feral tank

That guy who needed SoJ and then proceeded to wear it while tanking begs to disagree.
Yes, I cried internally.

3 minutes ago, Xaverius said:

SoJ

You dupe that and sell it to merchants B|

Claw of the Black Drake is my all-time favorite. I swear, it's the most beautiful piece in the game, and it's really good, too. 

I have some specific favorites that are in specific combinations with races and classes.

Dwarf make Paladin: 

Earthshaker - I love it, had it on my rank 10 Paladin!

Human male Warrior:

Dark Iron Claymore - specificly in combination with Wyrmhide Spaulders and Ragefury eyepatch. Super clean model

Night Elf male Priest: Fang of the Mystics + Furlborg medicine pouch(combo i know!)

Night elf male Druid - The druid starter staff with 25 agility enchanted to it! 

Whirlwind Axe.

Amazing looks, a very awesome and powerful axe. Once i grabbed it + intercept ability, i was eager to take my revenge in stranglethorn vale against all the other classes that bullied me at lower level pvp! 

Eagerly grinded lvl 32-37 in desolace with this weapon. Kept it till around lvl 45-50, good times

I got gut ripper as a world drop and picked up a second one cheap on the AH.

This was when I was an enhancement Shaman

Image result for wow gut ripper

(not the image above)

Later, people explained to me why enhancement Shaman don't use daggers, until then I though I was the dogs

18 minutes ago, Outstanding said:

I got gut ripper as a world drop and picked up a second one cheap on the AH.

This was when I was an enhancement Shaman

Image result for wow gut ripper

(not the image above)

Later, people explained to me why enhancement Shaman don't use daggers, until then I though I was the dogs

As a rogue who desperately wanted a Gutripper+Shadowblade combo this triggers me in a special way.

Hard to pick just one, because a lot of the weapons in this game are pretty iconic and most Swords look really nice. I was going to pick Quel'Serrar or Ironfoe, but I think I'd be lying if I didn't say my favorite weapon was the [Cavalier Two-Hander].

It looks like a sword, it has a nice sheen, looks amazing with any +Weapon enchant, and it's big enough without being a monstrosity. It's the ideal weapon of a gentleman warrior.