Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spookyskeleton

Population limit - a suggestion

62 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, Krueger said:

I just want to clarify that my goals are for the world, including low level zones and dungeons, to remain populated even after the first massive wave of people have leveled to 60. Blizzlike pop would be nice in theory, but players are different now. They level much, much faster. Players are now aided by addons, min-maxing that was never done on retail to such an extent, and the experience of having done it so many times already. When most of the online population are raid logging or standing around in Orgrimar, I still want to be able to get a group for Deadmines on horde side, that elite cave in stonetallon, or that weirdly hard elite quest with the nagas in stranglethorn. That's my motivation. We had that on Nost and I loved it. I was able to do all the weird and obscure shit that I couldn't on retail. We can agree to disagree though.

Edit: I typed this before Asura posted, for the record.

I had the same experience on Nostalrius PvE Realm (3.5~4.5k pop)

Indeed.
I also doubt the server will have more than 5k-6k population but lets just hope there's at least 2k-3k so we can have alot of fun doing elite group quests, dungeons, raids, whatever you are into doing at any certain time.
Talking about Nost, i also enjoyed Nost alot(i played on PvE server so that's why i enjoyed it, not much lag) pve server as alliance, population wasn't as big as Nost PvP but i could do any group elite quest i wanted and any dungeon i wanted, it wasn't that bad realy, its what vanilla is suppose to be, high enough numbers that don't break economy, farmable resources, etc...
At peak times the population was around 2.5k / 3k, close to the Nost shutdown it was around 4k.
To me the sweet spot is around 3k, and i really hope the servers here will be around that ! :P

Edited by ClawzTheMeow

24 minutes ago, Toche said:

I had the same experience on Nostalrius PvE Realm (3.5~4.5k pop)

When the server was still new though right? My experience was after the pvp realm was months old and people had already leveled.

The first thing that came to mind after reading the comments here is that no one considers the financial difficulties that come with opening a new realm or pushing the pop higher. I have absolutely no idea of the costs that come with it, but it makes common sense that making those changes demands some upgrades in hardware, not to mention the hours of work that go into it.

The second point is that the devs have certain standards in their minds, which are the result of many discussions. Obviously you cant have a server that suits everyone. There are as many opinions as there are people concerning what they want from the ideal p. server, so at the end of the day people will either compromise on something they want to play on a great server or they will move on. That will happen whatever the case is and its perfectly natural.

So to conclude my post, imho we should just wait and see how the server turns out. At first we ll see the crazy population that comes with the release. Then the pop will settle down and we ll have a clearer image. Then we ll see how the donation shop turns out and if it can generate enough funds to sustain-evolve the server. Then i guess the devs will decide if there is a need to take any action towards population limits or open a new realm, and act accordingly. After all lets not forget that they are funding the whole project out of their pockets right now. 

I was thinking about that phasing thing Nost had, that you guys brought up. Does anyone know how exactly it worked? Was it just in cities because they're so crowded, or were Chinese phased separately than everyone else (would make sense cause of the language barrier anyways), or was it just everywhere and happened randomly or something?

For example say I was sitting at BRM entrance waiting for people, like I was talking about in my original post, were there just invisible people passing by all the time?

Just wondering because I don't see how that would actually work when it came to stuff like fighting mobs or collecting resources. I don't recall seeing mobs fighting and dying to thin air, or mining nodes or herbs disappearing for no reason.

Just no. Nost started to have more or less terrible lag at over 7k, becoming unplayable (as in being able to pvp properly) for anyone without a built in brain delay at 11k+ online. Also, at over 5k the pros of more population underweight the cons. A 3-4k cap would be optimal, can make multiple pvp servers if needed. Better to have 2-3 servers with 2000-4000 online than 1 with 10k.

Also im not just delusionally hating on nost, I sometimes logged on the pve server during the laggiest hours of the pvp server (12k+ online), with having under 3k pop at all times the pve server had no significant delay.

Edited by roopas

2 hours ago, spookyskeleton said:

I was thinking about that phasing thing Nost had, that you guys brought up. Does anyone know how exactly it worked? Was it just in cities because they're so crowded, or were Chinese phased separately than everyone else (would make sense cause of the language barrier anyways), or was it just everywhere and happened randomly or something?

For example say I was sitting at BRM entrance waiting for people, like I was talking about in my original post, were there just invisible people passing by all the time?

Just wondering because I don't see how that would actually work when it came to stuff like fighting mobs or collecting resources. I don't recall seeing mobs fighting and dying to thin air, or mining nodes or herbs disappearing for no reason.

It was the tiny view distance during chinese primetime (12k+ online), combined with heavy lag. Your client would detect moving players by the time they're next to you.

Edited by roopas

5-7 k is best server population and if admins and staff split Battle Grounds from pvp and pve will be awesome

If you remove Chineses and other Asian nations from Nost that are like 30% from 10k pop .. I have big disappointment when i reach 60lvl and start to doing AV on early morning hours no one speak English (only4-5) Asians walking like zombies and farming , afk and etc (i'm not racist) but this  is the truth from Nost ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X_ytdWLNok

Edited by loonbg

1 hour ago, roopas said:

It was the tiny view distance during chinese primetime (12k+ online), combined with heavy lag. Your client would detect moving players by the time they're next to you.

Ahh, that makes a lot more sense. Really though they should have just phased the Chinese like I was hypothesizing lol, block mail between them and non-Chinese IPs, and there you go, no more goldsellers.

Edited by spookyskeleton

1 hour ago, spookyskeleton said:

there you go, no more goldsellers.

But, I need the gold sellers! Who else would I fight with level 7-8 twinks over containers at server launch? Watch them try to mass login with level 1 characters only to get wrecked, later resurface with a higher level "minitwink" which obviously caused a reaction and so on and forth. Seriously, fighting over china and getting that sweet sweet easy gold (alright we can discuss how "easy" it actually was in relation to effort after a while) has been one of my fondest memories in WoW "recently".

tm7dv0p.png

Lol I really hope they randomise that stuff, as much as I loved the Azshara chest farm.

8 hours ago, spookyskeleton said:

Ahh, that makes a lot more sense. Really though they should have just phased the Chinese like I was hypothesizing lol, block mail between them and non-Chinese IPs, and there you go, no more goldsellers.

Sorry, but chinese gold sellers are smart enough to use proxies.