Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

winterchill

Client provided by admin tean.

I know, alot of people will say just use any client 1.2.x from any other popular servers, but i was wondering, if crestfall dev team could provide their own copy of client, because others make some alterations for some godly unknown reasons.

Winter.

4 hours ago, winterchill said:

I know, alot of people will say just use any client 1.2.x from any other popular servers, but i was wondering, if crestfall dev team could provide their own copy of client, because others make some alterations for some godly unknown reasons.

Winter.

They would be altering Blizzards IP (intellectual property) and thus making a stonger basis to sue them for it, instead of just using the standard client you could get from Blizzard itself. I think this is why for the biggest part. But also because its just an inconvenience to the player itself. ( i wouldnt mind it but these reasons seem the most obvious to me)

Ye, about altering IPs, its obvious, but some other devs altering game itself, for no obvious reasons. I just want pure copy of 1.2.x client without any additional, unnecessary modifications.

Winter.

Edited by winterchill

On 9/20/2016 at 7:51 PM, winterchill said:

Ye, about altering IPs, its obvious, but some other devs altering game itself, for no obvious reasons. I just want pure copy of 1.2.x client without any additional, unnecessary modifications.

Winter.

At least hosting one somewhere and having a sticky or page on the (hopefully) website with a link to it would do. Dont really need to make a custom installer like Nost did :) 

13 hours ago, Melak said:

At least hosting one somewhere and having a sticky or page on the (hopefully) website with a link to it would do. Dont really need to make a custom installer like Nost did :) 

Ye, something like that.

15 hours ago, Melak said:

@Darkrasp said they wasn't going to supply a Client. It makes a difference between supplying a server and actually supplying a 'pirated' version of the game, and opens them up to even more C&D letters, as well as other legal issues.

21 minutes ago, Elicas said:

@Darkrasp said they wasn't going to supply a Client. It makes a difference between supplying a server and actually supplying a 'pirated' version of the game, and opens them up to even more C&D letters, as well as other legal issues.

I could even upload it if it really just boilds down to it, and having a link to it in a sticky on the forum... i doubt that would be the tipping point in getting the server shut down tho. But its up to them, i just think its silly, because Nost and other servers never got shut down due to having a link to an old version of the game. If you think that had any kind of effect on Blizzards part to go after those guys, then you are really naive id say :S 

Besides, arent they ignoring em already? 

Edited by Melak

40 minutes ago, Melak said:

I could even upload it if it really just boilds down to it, and having a link to it in a sticky on the forum... i doubt that would be the tipping point in getting the server shut down tho. But its up to them, i just think its silly, because Nost and other servers never got shut down due to having a link to an old version of the game. If you think that had any kind of effect on Blizzards part to go after those guys, then you are really naive id say :S 

Besides, arent they ignoring em already? 

Server is not live yet. So far, its just a gather of people, that blizzard got no power of and they cant sue devs for coding their game, based on their words, coz it goes 50/50, we would never know ^^

Edited by winterchill

I don't think that hosting the "freely-available" client that Blizzard was distributing during Vanilla can be considered "piracy".

You could download it free of charge (directly from Blizzard)...and many many website were hosting it as well.

Same goes with patches.

EDIT:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wowservers/comments/52hnve/vanilla_tbc_and_wotlk_md5_checksums/

from here you can check if your wow.exe is untouched or not btw...

Just retrieve a sha256 checksum of your wow.exe and check if the hash is the same as the one you can find in the reddit's post.

Edited by mrmr

It doesn't matter if they supply their own or not unless they want to modify it. It's the same client. All they'd be doing is pre-adding their realmlist text. Just torrent the thing.

We will host primary addons and mods for the client, basically anything what hasn't been created by Blizz.

As pointed out by Nogar it is quite risky to offer a client download, especially if it has been altered. However, we will ensure to provide trustable sources with verified hashes as shown by Mrmr on third party networks. Keep in mind that all the graphics and sounds are client sided and not required on the server, that's one of the reasons why private servers are in the "grey zone" in Europe.

By the way:
Some servers even modded their WoW.exe to hardcode the realmlist and ignore the realmlist.wtf, you can fix that easily though by replacing the WoW.exe file.

Will you use wow 1.2? I knew that you chose 1.12. I'm a bit confusing now.

Yeah, as I understand it, the most illegal thing that most Private servers actually do is host a download for the client, since then it's a matter of piracy. Just logging into a 3rd party wow server IS NOT piracy. It's just a shame, cause if you don't host a client, you will get less players, guaranteed.

It's kinda like how PCSX2 (PS2 Emulator) don't provide the BIOS, instead they give guides on extracting the BIOS from a physically owned PS2 to stay more in that legal grey zone we love so much.

Edited by Pvt_8Ball

On 10/1/2016 at 1:55 PM, Crogge said:

We will host primary addons and mods for the client, basically anything what hasn't been created by Blizz.

As pointed out by Nogar it is quite risky to offer a client download, especially if it has been altered. However, we will ensure to provide trustable sources with verified hashes as shown by Mrmr on third party networks. Keep in mind that all the graphics and sounds are client sided and not required on the server, that's one of the reasons why private servers are in the "grey zone" in Europe.

By the way:
Some servers even modded their WoW.exe to hardcode the realmlist and ignore the realmlist.wtf, you can fix that easily though by replacing the WoW.exe file.

Thx on that, at least for verified sources or trustable sources will do just fine. My point was, is not looking for random client out there and hope for the best, that client wasnt altered previously.

Winter.

On 10/02/2016 at 7:52 PM, winterchill said:

Thx on that, at least for verified sources or trustable sources will do just fine. My point was, is not looking for random client out there and hope for the best, that client wasnt altered previously.

There's sticky post on r/vanillawowservers that you might find interesting. And maybe verify the checksum as mentioned earlier in this post. But also note that there are plenty of opportunities to modify the client outside the core executable.