Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Asura

Asura's Update September 22nd, 2016

43 posts in this topic

I got nothing more to say than what I could post after each update. Keep up the good work, thanks for the updates and streams, I am excited, can't wait for beta/release!

Awesome Update! I'm getting more and more hyped with each tiny fix. Winter AB gogo :)

So much stuff being worked on at once! I like the sound of github acces. 

Thanks for the update Asura.

Really nice work there Asura. I enjoy these weekly reads, especially the detailed information like posting a video of the blink animation, really impressed!

Just discovered this project.. Seems very serious! Thank you for the updates, i hope everything will be available soon :). Thanks for the hard work

This is going to be awesome.

Thanks for the update and for all your hard work!

2 hours ago, Asura said:

First and foremost, yesterday I wrote a basic implementation of the spell delay system that many have talked about, especially when it comes to TBC. Basically, many abilities (Self-cast and some other rules not included) have a "delay" into them. This delay is created by spells being queued for an update that processes every 400ms. So for example, if you hit a mob with curse of agony, your spell cast and everything is immediate, but actual application of the debuff can be from instant to 400ms (if you're unlucky). The same goes for healing spells(when used on a target other than yourself). This is how two mages could end up sheeping each other, two warriors charging each other, etc. It will definitely make things feel a bit different, but in a good way.

Please explain how it's good to play with a delay of 400ms.

2 minutes ago, Frost said:

Please explain how it's good to play with a delay of 400ms.

Its only for the spells.
You hardly notice it, its something that you may notice for example when two warriors charge each other at the same time, due to that delay.
You can still play the game normally without any lag

2 minutes ago, ClawzTheMeow said:

Its only for the spells.

Yeah I understood that. And then I asked Asura to explain how that's a good thing.

Why would we want 2 warriors to be able to charge each other at the same time? In all games I can think of you want to play with as low ms as possible

Edited by Frost

I actually had forgotten blink worked like that. As I've said before, these tiny details do matter, and I love that the devs of Crestfall care about getting even the little things right. Keep up the great work.  :D

23 minutes ago, Frost said:

Yeah I understood that. And then I asked Asura to explain how that's a good thing.

Why would we want 2 warriors to be able to charge each other at the same time? In all games I can think of you want to play with as low ms as possible

Because that's how the game worked until later expansions.

Essentially it's like this. You cast a spell on a mob. Say, fireball. Fireball "Finishes" and "hits", but damage and debuff application can take up to 400ms in the batch. This means if two mages end their polymorph in the same batch in that ~400ms time period, both spells will be applied at the tick, and both mages will be sheeped.

It was a performance tactic they used back then that many people built their strategies around. It's a very, very large thing in TBC scene, but it was very much present in vanilla. We want to recreate the entire experience as it was.

Right.. You've said countless of times that not all changes that happened to the game were bad. You even say that they used this kind of technology because it was performance enhancing. Now that we live in 2016 and not 2005, why not let us play at as low ms as possible? Atm I just see this as a subtle buff to rogues more than anything else - allowing them to easier vanish spells

33 minutes ago, Asura said:

Because that's how the game worked until later expansions.

Essentially it's like this. You cast a spell on a mob. Say, fireball. Fireball "Finishes" and "hits", but damage and debuff application can take up to 400ms in the batch. This means if two mages end their polymorph in the same batch in that ~400ms time period, both spells will be applied at the tick, and both mages will be sheeped.

It was a performance tactic they used back then that many people built their strategies around. It's a very, very large thing in TBC scene, but it was very much present in vanilla. We want to recreate the entire experience as it was.

so it is the thing with blind and shadow word death at the same time to get the damage in and get out of the blind? 

am I right? if yes, this is a must have!

Spell delay is a must have for any private server who claims to be serious. GZ to the staff for the implementation.

35 minutes ago, Frost said:

Right.. You've said countless of times that not all changes that happened to the game were bad. You even say that they used this kind of technology because it was performance enhancing. Now that we live in 2016 and not 2005, why not let us play at as low ms as possible? Atm I just see this as a subtle buff to rogues more than anything else - allowing them to easier vanish spells

I can create a custom realm if you'd like.

Also, before you claim this as a buff for rogues, I'd suggest reading up. This can really cause a bad time with vanish.

9 minutes ago, Asura said:

I can create a custom realm if you'd like.

Also, before you claim this as a buff for rogues, I'd suggest reading up. This can really cause a bad time with vanish.

In this topic you say:

On 28/6/2016 at 9:02 AM, Asura said:

We are not using the tick system. I believe this was bad judgement on Blizzards part, and times change. That being said, we do have our own delay mechanics added in. Two warriors can charge each other, and we have had two rogues gouge each other. It may not be flawless, but it is there, and we will work to improve mechanics just like we do with everything else.

Why did you change your mind? Am I missing out on something?

6 minutes ago, Frost said:

In this topic you say:

Why did you change your mind? Am I missing out on something?

Because the old way was unblizzlike, and only supported a few spells. We are here for accuracy. We looked into it for more detail and found how large it actually was. We decided to do the right route.

2 minutes ago, Asura said:

Because the old way was unblizzlike, and only supported a few spells. We are here for accuracy. We looked into it for more detail and found how large it actually was. We decided to do the right route.

Isn't this "tick system" what you describe in the original post as packets being send every 400 ms? Aka ticks every 400 ms

1 minute ago, Frost said:

Isn't this "tick system" what you describe in the original post as packets being send every 400 ms? Aka ticks every 400 ms

No. This is application of damage and auras from spells. The whole game itself is still normal. This only affects non-self spells for the most part.

Hi Asura,

Thanks for the update and the detailed explanations.

I'll withdraw my ''chief administrator'' slur of course....