Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Asura

Asura's Update September 22nd, 2016

43 posts in this topic

That delay is super good for PvP, especially in 1v1s. It raises the skill cieling by you having to predict your enemies moves. Here are some examples from my pvp experience in other expansions.

It's all about prediction. Let's say you're kiting a warrior as a feral. If you can predict when he's gonna use his charge you can press your feral charge at the same time. This will make both of you end up on your opponents original position. You can happily continue kiting knowing that you outplayed that warrior, predicting his movement. 

Same goes for rogue. Shadowstepping your enemies charge or feral charge can be a huge deal.

Rogue v. rogue. Mostly in duels you'll agree to start outside of stealth. Either both of you starting with shiv or gouge. If you pick gouge, it is important to get the gouge later than your opponent, thus making yours last longer resulting in you getting the first hit after. you have to look out though. Not too late, cause then you won't even get the gouge off.

@Frost This is not like playing on 400ms. You will hardly notice it, if you even will. This is healthy for the game, speaking from my experience. Other than that, it's just my opinion.  

Lovely update, seems like you're doing quite a lot of good stuff with the core <3

Two tickets to #HypeTrain , please!

Edited by Toche

7 hours ago, Asura said:

Something else I've been doing is some research into random things, from encounters to spells. One I had the pleasure of playing with(and implementing) was the proper blink visual effect. Many have noticed that in the old days, blink would actually create a visual where you were blinking to. 

Hahaha damn, I remember reporting the lack of blink visual on Nostalrius beta 2 years ago and they told me it was intended behavior. Guess Crestfall is going to make dreams real.

Asura, since you are doing a proper "tick" system, does this mean the EnergyWatch addon will work properly? On most Vanilla servers energy doesn't always seem to tick at the right time making energy ticks and the addon get out of sync.

Edited by Pvt_8Ball

For the interested, here is an official post from Blizzard that I remember reading about the 400ms spell batch updates: https://web.archive.org/web/20141019021233/http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/13087818929?page=6#114

It's not like what people mean when they say "CoD is a 60-tick server" or like actually having a 400ms ping. Your spells on other targets will still cast at your connection latency, but apply their effects at the next 400ms batch update. As others have stated, this causes neat pvp tricks like double blinds, SW:D/JoB polys, and gouged death coils. It may also add some of the mysterious "difficulty" to raids that some people are asking for, since healers will be spending more mana – they won't be able to charge-cancel their heals as much.

Example: Healers Alice and Bob are both casting Holy Light at tank Tom, who has 60% HP. Alice started casting her heal 200 milliseconds before Bob.

Under the instant (non-blizzlike) system:
Alice completes her cast. Tom has full HP.
Bob sees Tom at full HP, and cancels his heal with (up to) 200 milliseconds (- latency) remaining on his castbar, and saves mana.

Under the batched updates (blizzlike) system:
Alice completes her cast. Tom still has 60% HP until the next batch update, (up to) 400ms later.
Bob sees Tom still at 60% HP and finishes his Holy Light 200ms after Alice. Tom still has 60% HP.
Tom is healed to 100% HP (up to) 200ms later, when the batch update ticks. Alice and Bob have both spent mana.
(edit: Against harder-hitting bosses, there's also a very real chance that Tom could die in that 400ms. Poor Tom.)

I appreciate the attention to detail.

Regarding the password security issue I raised: thanks for taking the time to fix that, Asura and Crogge. Like you alluded to in your post, security and network stability updates aren't the exciting bits of juicy server gossip that people are salivating over, but they're (at least in my opinion) even more important.

Edited by Soulson

7 hours ago, Asura said:

We want to recreate the entire experience as it was.

Then buff the green items with random attributes later. Ayyyyyyyyyyyyy.

So, can someone explain how this works for healers? You cast your heal it goes off but then the tank doesn't actually get healed for another 0-.4 seconds?

10 minutes ago, Rummi said:

So, can someone explain how this works for healers? You cast your heal it goes off but then the tank doesn't actually get healed for another 0-.4 seconds?

I don't really know myself, but I'm guessing boss damage also gets batched too, so maybe in practice it doesn't make much difference.

6 hours ago, Ghostly said:

Hahaha damn, I remember reporting the lack of blink visual on Nostalrius beta 2 years ago and they told me it was intended behavior. Guess Crestfall is going to make dreams real.

Yeah, I saw loads of bugs reports with the same result. They even tried to pretend mobs sometimes skipping death animations wasn't a bug/didn't happen and just dismissed it.

Edited by Pvt_8Ball

Frost you dense motherfucker.

Asura thank you so much for the update and for responding to idiots. It really shows you guys are serious about this. 

Love ya. Appreciate ya.

This is VERY interesting. I've never seen a server fix blink like that before, nor have I seen proper implementation of spell delay, I must say I'm very impressed with what it's looking like thus far and am eagerly anticipating the release of this server. Keep up the good work guys, I believe you are the only ones in the entire emulation community that can pull this off and create a proper blizzlike experience.