Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ramsay

Scarab Lord

28 posts in this topic

From what I understand only one person per guild can try the the chain (because things you need can be looted only by one)? Also how many people can actually get the title ?

Iirc only one can per server can get the title, but anyone turning in the quest while the event is going on will get the mount as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong about this.

First player to hit the gong gets the Scarab Lord title and the Black Qiraji mount, in addition to an epic weapon quest reward.  Anyone else who hits the gong within the 10 hour window of the gates event will also get the title, mount and weapon.

Afterwards, anyone who completes the quest will still get the weapon, but will obtain neither the mount nor the title.

I thought it was only 1 person, so that is better.  Still pretty rough. 

Only a handful per server will do it. I came close during retail vanilla, but I considered it a huge grind back then. 11 Years later I'm not any more inclined to try and finish it tbh.

4 hours ago, Elicas said:

Only a handful per server will do it. I came close during retail vanilla, but I considered it a huge grind back then. 11 Years later I'm not any more inclined to try and finish it tbh.

We had a 40man raid helping our Scepter wielder get it. :') I'm always salty because of that towards people who cheesed it during Burning Crusade, and got the easy way to get it.

Also, safe to remind, Scarab Lord wasn't introduced until 2.0.3 which was Burning Crusade's content patch.

I was #2 on our guilds list for getting the stuff, and even then fell quite far short. Usually it goes to the GM/RL of the most hardcore guild on the server.

So from what I read on some pservers forums it is likely you will get it if you put the time into farming it as the content is not released as fast as it was on retail. Which I think is nice for people who will spent time grinding it.^_^

It can't be done solo, you can't 'just grind it'. You need full 40 man raids set up with the sole object of giving you the items you need to finish the chain. Some of this can be done as part of a normal guild raid, such as the early steps (Broodlords Head in BWL) but anyone not in a dedicated raid guild is already out of the running for the items by that point. BWL just doesn't get pugged easily. The Hated-Neutral grind can be done solo by buying fragments from other players, soloing the mobs with a character able to solo lvl 58+ elites (Hunters etc.) but it is most usually done by raid guilds splitting into groups of 5 to farm fragments for the one guy who has been designated as 'Opener' for that guild.

That's about as far as you can get solo.

The Green Scepter requires you to down one of these in Duskwood. You need at least 25 T2 geared raiders, or ~40 T1 geared raiders. You will not find a raid for this solo, as the chances of finding that amount of raid geared puggers also trying to do the quest is 0.

The Red scepter requires you to do a perfect, wipe free BWL run in under 5 hours. Easily enough done, except Nefarian only drops one fragment per raid. Again, pugging BWL before AQ is released just doesn't really happen, and the chances of you buying your way into a guild run and getting their only fragment drop? Close to 0. If everyone leaves the raid (wipes with no wipe protection, corpse run, etc.) then the timer resets and Nefarian will not drop any fragments when killed that reset.

The blue scepter requires a rare drop from MC (puggable, but needs to be farmed), killing this 10 man raid boss (and only one person can loot his body per raid, chance of pugging, 0) This 15 man raid boss and extra drops while completing the book from Onyxia, Ragnaros and in BWL (only one chapter drops per kill, again chance to pug is close to 0), 10 Elementium Ore which is a rare drop from BWL and guilds keep for crafting Thunderfury.

Only after doing all of that (and the 30 or so quest steps I left out that are soloable or doable in a group of 5) do you get the chance to bong the gong.

I know it can't be done solo, I'm just saying that we will probably have more time than they have on retail so more people will be able to get it. I will roll  war(prot) which I played seriously from tbc to start of cata, (got rf algalon and yogg+0 EU Drakthul PvP)so I'm not completely retarded xD I hope I will be able to find some guild where they let me be second or third in the list for the chain.

Edited by Ramsay

It's basically going to be one person, maybe two, in each of the top guilds  (My server on retail had one alliance, one horde).  Of course, it also depends on how long the war effort takes.  On retail with populations around 2.5-3k, the war effort was a long haul.  Guilds had time to do the events multiple times, though realistically the rep grind is only getting done by a couple people per guild, just as a function of the time it takes to do.  Since we intend to keep realm populations down to Blizzlike levels, this is something that could potentially happen.  We expect the War Effort to take some months to complete.

As mentioned, the title didn't actually apply until the 2.0 patch, the functionality for it didn't exist in the Vanilla client.  Players who Bang the Gong within 10hrs of the first person will get the Black Qiraji Battle Tank mount, and when we progress to TBC (eventually), then they'll be able to select the Scarab Lord title.

1 hour ago, Darkrasp said:

It's basically going to be one person, maybe two, in each of the top guilds  (My server on retail had one alliance, one horde).  Of course, it also depends on how long the war effort takes.  On retail with populations around 2.5-3k, the war effort was a long haul.  Guilds had time to do the events multiple times, though realistically the rep grind is only getting done by a couple people per guild, just as a function of the time it takes to do.  Since we intend to keep realm populations down to Blizzlike levels, this is something that could potentially happen.  We expect the War Effort to take some months to complete.

As mentioned, the title didn't actually apply until the 2.0 patch, the functionality for it didn't exist in the Vanilla client.  Players who Bang the Gong within 10hrs of the first person will get the Black Qiraji Battle Tank mount, and when we progress to TBC (eventually), then they'll be able to select the Scarab Lord title.

Thanks for response , so there is some hope that more than one person will be able to get it :D

@Ramsay Sorry dude, I didn't realise you were talking about it as doing it as part of a guild. I read the 'Just grind it' comment as if you were someone coming from current retail expecting to grind out one of the new legendary items solo.

I guess it will depend on how long they intend to take between content patches. Someone mentioned it elsewhere on the forum that they'd like to see a content plan drawn up by the devs before release, something along the lines of;

1 month after release : Dire Maul

2 Months after first Rag kill: BWL

2 Months after first Nef Kill: War Effort & ZG

etc. etc.

Hard to tell how long we'll have to do things before we have an idea of how the devs intend to release stuff and how many people we will have on the server. Depends on how long they want the project to last. Nost and Kronos were just starting the War Effort around the ~12 month mark, so I'm guessing this will want to move at a similar sort of pace, putting the 'vanilla servers lifetime' at around ~18 months to 2 years.

One thing Nost and Kronos have shown, is that not only have people moved on from vanilla with the min maxing etc, but people know and have actively been doing this content so much that long drawn out farm periods aren't really necessary. Synced downed Rag and Onyxia within the first month of Kronos opening, both servers had guilds putting BWL on farm status within 6 hours of it opening, etc. Running 1.12.1 itemized gear with Dire Maul available makes this content trivial, Kronos especially had a significant drop off in players when the staff said it would be at least 6 months of BWL farm before the War Effort started.

@Darkrasp Have you thought about any of this stuff yet, or is the server still far enough out that it's not really on the radar yet?

Something important to note is that levelling on those servers is a joke, and instances/raids get cleared so quickly, isn't because of itemization, it's because of better talents available, and the fact that the NPCs are scripted incorrectly or tuned to an underpowered state.  When you're grinding levels, pulling 3 mobs same level as you should pretty much be "flee or die" every time, unless you're doing some clever Mage AoE farming with lots of crowd control.  Even then each pull is going to completely exhaust your mana pool.  Instances should *require* co-ordination and proper use of tanking and crowd control mechanics.  If NPC packs in Scholomance aren't giving your casters nightmares from all the curses, DoTs, and crowd control of their own flying around hitting everyone in the group, then they didn't do it right.  I'm working on Scholo trash presently, and they have some nasty abilities in there most players don't even think about on current private servers.  Two packs in a same-level-relevant instance should be a wipe, again, almost every time.  It would take a skilled and geared party to get through a double pull in a 60 instance like Dire Maul, much less Molten Core.

Our NPCs are intended to be tuned slightly harder than retail in terms of spell ranks, cooldowns and targeting.  This is to compensate for improved player skill and familiarity with the content, as well as the slightly improved gear and vastly improved talents from 1.12.1.  Mobs will be hitting more people, more often.  If we think things are too easy when we test internally, we'll make them harder.  The Vanilla experience was all about gear walls and resist walls.  We intend to replicate that as much as we can.  Will players progress more quickly than on retail?  Probably, yes.  I went into Molten Core as a fresh-faced rookie thinking that the most important stat to stack was Mana/5 on an offensive caster.  Amberseal Keeper, Archivist Cape of the Eagle, Mana Channeling Wand, Wisdom of the Timbermaw... Yeah.  Ghastly.  Obviously people will go faster than that, but you should still be wiping to bosses unless you really know your stuff and you're geared enough to handle it's damage.

In terms of release timelines, we haven't actually discussed them yet, but something along those lines sounds reasonable.  We hope to have all the content ready to launch on day one, so we can start working on TBC in the background while people are playing through Vanilla.  Obviously some things will need to be tweaked, fixed, etc. along the way, but content releases will more or less follow reasonable player progression.

6 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

Our NPCs are intended to be tuned slightly harder than retail in terms of spell ranks, cooldowns and targeting.  This is to compensate for improved player skill and familiarity with the content, as well as the slightly improved gear and vastly improved talents from 1.12.1.  Mobs will be hitting more people, more often.  If we think things are too easy when we test internally, we'll make them harder.  The Vanilla experience was all about gear walls and resist walls.  We intend to replicate that as much as we can.

This is so great to hear! I know porting the item db back to 1.4 like Nost did is a huge pain and revamping the talents would be a waste of time, but this is an awesome compromise that I'm really excited to see in action. So few private servers, if any, actually make an attempt to compensate for the fact that most of us aren't the same people we were in 2005 and that the content really is just that old.

Everything AQ opening-related are my favourite events.

This is one of the insane challenges I always wanted to do. Shame I'm crap at convincing people to carry me as a guild to realm first...

On 30.4.2016 at 9:34 PM, Darkrasp said:

so no scarab lord for those who stay vanilla forever? :(

On 30.4.2016 at 8:28 PM, Elicas said:

Hated-Neutral grind can be done solo by buying fragments from other players

since when drop those fragments? will they be in the loottable from the beginning on?

Let us all agree to the fact, that this Mount and Title requires a ton of time, money and luck. I like the Mount very much, but for me personaly, the time spent is not worth it. But i will help, if a Guildmember offers the wish to do the Questchain.

Posted (edited)

19 hours ago, Budge said:

so no scarab lord for those who stay vanilla forever? :(

As I said, the Vanilla client doesn't support it.  It's impossible to do without hacking the client.

Also, thread necro much?  That comment was over a year old.

Edited by Darkrasp

2 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

As I said, the Vanilla client doesn't support it.  It's impossible to do without hacking the client.

Also, thread necro much?  That comment was over a year old.

don't blame me for using the search button. I see ppl rarely do it ;)

On 2016-05-01 at 10:52 AM, Elicas said:

ard to tell how long we'll have to do things before we have an idea of how the devs intend to release stuff and how many people we will have on the server. Depends on how long they want the project to last. Nost and Kronos were just starting the War Effort around the ~12 month mark, so I'm guessing this will want to move at a similar sort of pace, putting the 'vanilla servers lifetime' at around ~18 months to 2 years.

Sorry for a bit off topic, but am I totally wrong when I think I read something about a slightly increased vanilla timeline? I read 12-15 months somewhere posted by a random member on these forums. But it's set to 18-24 months timeline for sure?