Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cybaster

Old school Enslave Demon mechanics?

One of my favorite things in early vanilla was sniffing around for elite/quest boss demons to enslave for World PVP.  Lord Banehallow, a quest elite from the Dreadsteed Quest in Felwood, and Lord Azrethoc, a quest elite in Desolace, spring to mind as pets I used to protect myself from the endless tide of forsaken rogues, to whom I was normally something of a domesticated prey animal, while I quested in those regions.

There were also a few trash mob demons in early raids you could use (with a certain amount of care) as pets within that instance, and not to mention a plethora of options in various leveling instances.

It was possible to sustain an enslave indefinitely by forcing the hidden Enslave Demon diminishing returns buff to fall off the demon in question by banishing it two or three times.  One also used Curse of Shadows to improve Enslavement time and dependability because Enslavement either checked shadow resistance when it was cast to determine "break" chances, or simply had a hidden mechanic that did this.  This was a significant delay period and got me killed plenty of times when my hunters got wise to my schemes.

As time and patches rolled on, anything cool you could enslave was hand-flagged as immune.  By TBC's release you were stuck with regular demons entirely, with all elites being generally unenslaveable.  Additionally, the banish trick was silently patched sometime mid or late vanilla.

How do you guys think this should work on Crestfall?

Well by asking this question specifically in the warlock forum, I imagine your query might be subject to sampling bias.

But uh, I like cool enslavey things. There were a few in TBC at least that I don't ever remember getting immune patched, and what a shame it would be if they were, since that's the demon expansion. Makazredon and his twin from SMV weren't ever patched, I don't think. Those were fun.

It seemed like such an, uh, warlock specific line of dialogue.  Given the tone on these forums and the tendency of everyone to push things that are good for their class, we could probably boil it down to a "warlocks vote yes, everyone else votes no" with some exaggerated accuracy.

Adds another layer of fun to the class, in my opinion.  Brief moments of increased power offset by windows of vulnerability, and the entertaining meta-game of looking for a pet in each zone. 

The only problem with it I can think of is that it might inconvenience members of the same faction trying to get a quest done.  (Opposing faction on a pvp realm?  Me having their mob is good, it stimulates conflict.  Come and get it!)  There aren't many demons as choke points in the open world.  Probably two or three, including Banehallow as part of the Dreadsteed quest.

As for enslaves in TBC, I'm surprised to hear that!  But I believe you.  I only played Warlock early on there.

On 2016-09-26 at 11:52 AM, cybaster said:

One of my favorite things in early vanilla was sniffing around for elite/quest boss demons to enslave for World PVP.  Lord Banehallow, a quest elite from the Dreadsteed Quest in Felwood, and Lord Azrethoc, a quest elite in Desolace, spring to mind as pets I used to protect myself from the endless tide of forsaken rogues, to whom I was normally something of a domesticated prey animal, while I quested in those regions.

There were also a few trash mob demons in early raids you could use (with a certain amount of care) as pets within that instance, and not to mention a plethora of options in various leveling instances.

It was possible to sustain an enslave indefinitely by forcing the hidden Enslave Demon diminishing returns buff to fall off the demon in question by banishing it two or three times.  One also used Curse of Shadows to improve Enslavement time and dependability because Enslavement either checked shadow resistance when it was cast to determine "break" chances, or simply had a hidden mechanic that did this.  This was a significant delay period and got me killed plenty of times when my hunters got wise to my schemes.

As time and patches rolled on, anything cool you could enslave was hand-flagged as immune.  By TBC's release you were stuck with regular demons entirely, with all elites being generally unenslaveable.  Additionally, the banish trick was silently patched sometime mid or late vanilla.

How do you guys think this should work on Crestfall?

This sounds really fricking cool I must say! Would love if this was the case and I might even roll a warlock just for this fact. Im pretty sure though that since we are using 1.12.1 client, it will all already be post-changes that blizz made then, so unless Crestfall devs actively decide to change it, which I sadly very much doubt will happen, its going to be that way.. 
Maybe ask Asura about it. If its like the usual thing, if the community really wants, they can make it happen. Sadly because it only affects warlocks I suspect only warlocks will vote for it as others said :P

Personally I'd love it because I think nifty borderline-unbalanced mechanics like this should be more common in mmorpgs, but unfortunately since being able to enslave an elite demon that may double as a quest mob can affect other players, I don't think CF Staff will go along with it. I think they've also said that they won't re-create bugs or exploits, or undo mechanics changes from previous patches either, which this would fall under.

Are any locks currently testing this?  What's the situation like?

Never played a lock, but this should definitely be available if it worked that way during vanilla. It requires preparation and has inherent risks. It being too strong is no problem, if it does not have economic consequences.