Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sakritan

Vanilla Sound 12 into 64 channels

52 posts in this topic

Grass draw distance it is clientside option. Dont muss up it with NPC view distance, which is serverside.

Maybe CF Devs can release a proper .exe for us. I always wondered why sound is missin even in 5mans, thought its a client issue. 

Thanks for enlighten me.

26 minutes ago, Yakooki said:

Maybe CF Devs can release a proper .exe for us. I always wondered why sound is missin even in 5mans, thought its a client issue. 

Thanks for enlighten me.

Like I've already said, you don't need a custom .exe to fix the sound.

4 minutes ago, Pvt_8Ball said:

Like I've already said, you don't need a custom .exe to fix the sound.

just tried your version of it.

i copy pasta'd 

"SET soundmaxhardwarechannels "64"", "SET soundsoftwarechannels "64""

into the config just like i did with the graphic stuff.

Weren't able to test it in group environment yet.

But should just work fine, right?

1 hour ago, Yakooki said:

just tried your version of it.

i copy pasta'd 

"SET soundmaxhardwarechannels "64"", "SET soundsoftwarechannels "64""

into the config just like i did with the graphic stuff.

Weren't able to test it in group environment yet.

But should just work fine, right?

I guess so. Although when doing it through console, you can just type in soundmaxhardwarechannels 64 and soundsoftwarechannels 64. "SET" is redundant.

You can check if it's worked by simply typing soundsoftwarechannels in console with no number after it, and it'll say what it's set to.

Edited by Pvt_8Ball

8 hours ago, Pvt_8Ball said:

I made this video cause I felt like it:

Neat video. The problem is I cant seem to get the console to open. I try the "¨" key, and ´ key, and all others and it doesnt do anything.
I read this but I dont know where to "set console key" either http://wow.gamepedia.com/API_SetConsoleKey

Once I get the console to start then I shall try it out your way.

Also,
@Darkrasp Is grass distance a server side setting like the view distance? If so, can you increase it abit? The vanilla grass distance is painfully low.

Nvm, I figured out how to change the console key. I had to use the ingame chat and type /run SetConsoleKey ("acsii_key") for it to work... Anyway. Now I changed the channels but both in the sound.log and in-game softwarechannels it still says 12. So how did you manage to get your log to say 66? Like you typed on page 1: "10/2 19:16:20.720  Channels: 66 (66 software, 0 2D hardware(dsound), 0 3D hardware) "
-------------------

EDIT AGAIN: I got it to work!! I deleted my sound.log file after I made changes ingame. Since it didnt generate a new one on its own. I then relogged into the game and now it finally says 64, both in the newly generated sound.log and in-game console. Cheers!
Btw, how can I remove a comment? 9_9

Edited by Sakritan

Regarding grass draw distance, I have no idea.  Might be server side.  You'd be better off asking Asura.

Last I remember grass is client side only. Things like that shouldn't need a server because it's all handled by the client but npcs objects etc are handled by the server so it makes sense their distance is handled by the server.

Vanilla has more limitations, but I'm sure you can increase it by some method.

Edited by rooted

17 hours ago, Sakritan said:

Nvm, I figured out how to change the console key. I had to use the ingame chat and type /run SetConsoleKey ("acsii_key") for it to work... Anyway. Now I changed the channels but both in the sound.log and in-game softwarechannels it still says 12. So how did you manage to get your log to say 66? Like you typed on page 1: "10/2 19:16:20.720  Channels: 66 (66 software, 0 2D hardware(dsound), 0 3D hardware) "
-------------------

EDIT AGAIN: I got it to work!! I deleted my sound.log file after I made changes ingame. Since it didnt generate a new one on its own. I then relogged into the game and now it finally says 64, both in the newly generated sound.log and in-game console. Cheers!
Btw, how can I remove a comment? 9_9

Well, at least you got there in the end.

Also on the Grass thing, I'm sure it's Client side. One thing about ground clutter is that it's one of the most CPU intense things in wow until they reworked it in WOD, and that's probably the reason they set it so low in Vanilla. I think in Wrath when I set ground clutter distance and density to max, my FPS went straight down by like 75%.

It's kind of a backwards solution, but you could always disable ground clutter, then you wouldn't notice the low distance.

Edited by Pvt_8Ball

3 hours ago, Pvt_8Ball said:

Well, at least you got there in the end.

Also on the Grass thing, I'm sure it's Client side. One thing about ground clutter is that it's one of the most CPU intense things in wow until they reworked it in WOD, and that's probably the reason they set it so low in Vanilla. I think in Wrath when I set ground clutter distance and density, my FPS went straight down by like 75%.

It's kind of a backwards solution, but you could always disable ground clutter, then you wouldn't the low distance.

Remove it is no solution, then the ground is just empty and ugly. And in TBC and Wrath I always have it maxxed with the help of console commands etc. I never noticed any fps drops on my part. But on the other hand, my computer is from 2015. I would like to think that most of us dont have 2008 computers, so improving the grass distance abit wouldnt be that bad. And for those few who get performance issues they could just lower it themselves. Im not talking big changes here but maybe 10 yards or something, it makes a world of difference if you look at that video on page one, its insanely ugly. :P 

Anyway, IF its client side then great, then it only concerns me and not the whole server, now I only got to find it some way. I wonder if the newly discovered -console can help me with this. Did you try any more tinkering with the -console that you can share Pvt_8Ball ?

I also changed the OP now that we got that sorted out.

Edited by Sakritan

8 minutes ago, Sakritan said:

Anyway, IF its client side then great, then it only concerns me and not the whole server, now I only got to find it some way. I wonder if the newly discovered -console can help me with this

I've looked through every command, there's only frilldensity that's relevant. To increase Grass distance you'd probably have to use some sort of Memory editor.

On 2016-10-05 at 3:51 PM, Pvt_8Ball said:

I've looked through every command, there's only frilldensity that's relevant. To increase Grass distance you'd probably have to use some sort of Memory editor.

Aw crap. The density I know I can change with in-game /console commands, already done that. Its nice but it makes the lack of distance stick out even more sorely.
Im not skilled enough to mess around with memory editors etc, and I dont want to be banned later one either so.  I guess thats that then. All sorted here, except the improved texture patch.

Edited by Sakritan

I would like to point out a few things regarding this thread...

1. Any kind of binary modifications are forbidden on Crestfall, if you login with a modified wow.exe the server will notice that the hash differs. We will probably auto-ban clients which have a mismatching hash, doesn't matter what kind of modification it is. Further information regarding this matter will follow in the near future.

2. Small config modifications, for example unlocking additional sound channels are allowed.

3. Also beauty enhancements like the mentioned grass view distance (Which is entirely client sided by the way) are allowed. It is not allowed though to remove objects to gain any kind of advantage in PvP.

Are basic model edits allowed? If I wanted to transmog into Judgement gear client side, is that bannable?

20 hours ago, Knetik said:

Are basic model edits allowed? If I wanted to transmog into Judgement gear client side, is that bannable?

That way you change stuff in the WDB folder, which are only seen by you, like the art of your weapon. It cant move objects or anything, it doesnt interfere with the game at all afaik. So its impossible to notice this. You cant teleport yourself or go through locked doors with these changes anyway. As soon as you change weapon it will change to that model, so you have to edit the WDB to show Ashbringer and Judgement set.

For me, my WDB folder automatically deletes itself everytime I start WoW, so nothing is kept in case I change servers, by using Game_Launch.bat file, an added file in my game folder ;)

20 hours ago, Crogge said:

I would like to point out a few things regarding this thread...

1. Any kind of binary modifications are forbidden on Crestfall, if you login with a modified wow.exe the server will notice that the hash differs. We will probably auto-ban clients which have a mismatching hash, doesn't matter what kind of modification it is. Further information regarding this matter will follow in the near future.

2. Small config modifications, for example unlocking additional sound channels are allowed.

3. Also beauty enhancements like the mentioned grass view distance (Which is entirely client sided by the way) are allowed. It is not allowed though to remove objects to gain any kind of advantage in PvP.

Nice stuff! Good to know. We also found a way around the sound issues now so this thread can probably be closed, and information can be posted elsewhere more official on how to "legally" change the sound settings for players themselves with the console.

Edited by Sakritan

On 2016-10-17 at 5:14 PM, Crogge said:

Any kind of binary modifications are forbidden on Crestfall

Farewell dark nights :ph34r:

dur-dark.jpg

On 2016-10-20 at 5:40 PM, Soyoen said:

Farewell dark nights :ph34r:

dur-dark.jpg

Why? isnt this an mpq as well? I dont remember how darker nights where made

On 21/10/2016 at 10:16 PM, Sakritan said:

Why? isnt this an mpq as well? I dont remember how darker nights where made

Yes its an mpq as well, tho it handles only a single file that  handles light effects, shading etc.

AFAIK the only thing you can do with draw distance client side other than frill density is this one...

/console lodDist (number)

Don't use the parentheses. Range is 50-250, with the default being 100. This is the level of detail distance, which is what I believe draws the more detailed grass and other features.

Don't get excited, though. Even at 250, it's still not very far.

Edited by shadesofjoe

On 2016-11-05 at 2:04 AM, shadesofjoe said:

AFAIK the only thing you can do with draw distance client side other than frill density is this one...

/console lodDist (number)

Don't use the parentheses. Range is 50-250, with the default being 100. This is the level of detail distance, which is what I believe draws the more detailed grass and other features.

Don't get excited, though. Even at 250, it's still not very far.

I think i've tried it before with no luck. Most of the usual console commands only works in later expacs, like farclip, smallcull etc.
In regards to grass I only know Frilldensity draws more grass around you, but since its range is so short it doesnt look that good at all imo.

I always run these macros. Most dont seem to do anything in vanilla tho:

/console overridefarclip 1
/console farclip 777
/console horizonFarclipScale 6
/console horizonfarclip 2112
/console groundEffectFade 1277
/console groundEffectDist 300
/console groundEffectDensity 256
/console detailDoodadAlpha 100
/console smallcull 0
/console characterAmbient 0
/console SkyCloudLOD 1
/console violencelevel 5
/console shadowlod 1
/console frillDensity 256

Regardless, will try this one again. Thanks

Edited by Sakritan

@Darkrasp @Crogge @Asura

Hey guys! I've been checking around on the new patch MPQ of WoD character models ported to vanilla thats been made here: http://modcraft.superparanoid.de/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=10799&sid=d42b64751389ae92011d4c3973e8d953

It seems this is very popular amongst many players, me included. I just read through the comments and it seems Elysium will keep to Nost type of anti-cheat system where they had this checksum thing that detected not only existing client files but also additional files, and kicked out everyone using anything. It seems this extra layer of anti-cheat didnt really prevent cheating on nost if im to believe it right?

Now, it seems you guys will have better cheat detection in game, which is great!, then maybe you can be more loose with the mpq's? Surely you can notice in game if people suddenly starts to move through walls or whatever right? I have this comment Crogge made that a WoD models mpq is probably not going to be a big deal for you guys, but he wasnt sure and that you would talk about this further. So have you? ^_^

It seems this will be a dealbreaker for many people on Elysium not to play there, and this could be a huge selling point for Crestfall I think, allowing modern graphics in vanilla wow.
We all know Warmane have used this as a selling point for their Wrath server, providing the 3.3.5 with the WoD models MPQ's for download on their page.

Please, any hints to this at all? :)

On 10/2/2016 at 8:08 PM, Pvt_8Ball said:

You don't need a custom .exe file, you can just set max sounds in wow's config file or through the console.

Edit: It's soundmaxhardwarechannels 64 and soundsoftwarechannels 64, just pop them in console. You can go higher but that's just what I used. Restart required for changes to take affect.

"/console soundmaxhardwarechannels 64", "/console soundsoftwarechannels 64", then restart.

First you help me on reddit with the FPS stutter, now I see you on here helping me with the sound!

When does your kindness ever stop?

11 hours ago, Vendrex said:

First you help me on reddit with the FPS stutter, now I see you on here helping me with the sound!

When does your kindness ever stop?

Rofl, stop you :33. I'm just that sort of person I guess.

I'm actually planning to do a guide at some point to get the most out of Vanilla. Although it will probably be a while till I do it cause I'm lazy AF.

Edited by Pvt_8Ball