Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elicas

Shaman Enhancement DPS & Tanking - PvE

28 posts in this topic

You are now my favorite poster here, between this and paladin work and the list of common bugs with both classes you seem to be a knowledgable champion of two classes who suffered some poor design and/or itemization in the early game because their role wasn't clearly defined the way others were (shammies in particular).  I've been almost exclusively a mage on retail so when I moved to my first vanilla server I wanted to try different roles, and paladin/shaman/druid are what most caught my eye because of their versatility and the different ways gear has to be utilized in each spec.  This kind of info in prominent places on the forums will be a big plus for folks that want to roll a hybrid class here at launch and after, which is a good thing for the community.

Yes, we all need Elicas in our gaming life from time to time. What's better is that he's not an elitist jerk, although he may well have been, guild wise. Anyone batting on behalf of hybrids pre-BTC gets all the kudos they deserve. 

1 hour ago, Outstanding said:

Yes, we all need Elicas in our gaming life from time to time. What's better is that he's not an elitist jerk, although he may well have been, guild wise. Anyone batting on behalf of hybrids pre-BTC gets all the kudos they deserve. 

Oh I'm definitely an elitist jerk, I just base my elitism around player skill rather than things like spec choice.

A Shaman/Ret pushing out 400 dps who knows how and when to change buffs on the fly, use the utility Blessings/Totems and stay alive during every encounter is worth more than an 800dps Rogue who stands in the fire and dies within the first 20 seconds on 9/10 bosses. Extreme example obviously, but i'm sure you get my point :)

After raiding for several months with @Elicas I can confirm that he is quite knowledgeable, but not a jerk. Sometimes he can depress you with so much min-maxing stuff, but he is pretty relaxed and funny - most of the time anyway lol. I have the same PoV on hybrid classes as him and wish people are more forgiving, not all say you must heal or GTFO for the healing classes. Problem is vanilla is not much forgiving and sometimes in order to progress you have to ruin people's dreams.

Thumbs up from me too.  I played one all the way from T4-T16 and it's easily the best class/spec I ever touched (soloing feats, oh-shit buttons in groups and off-healing/utility in raids). I've always believed that a good hybrid that uses all of the toolkit instead of just focusing on the primary role is worth having in any raid.

I won't be playing hybrid myself when the server launches, but I still support them.

Pretty interesting stuff, I have to say. There was one time on Nost, when I had to tank Razorfen Kraul as enh shaman, since our tank unexpectedly ran off for some IRL business. It was unusual experience for me, and it made me wonder, if shaman tank is a thing, after all.

So, thanks for the article!

Apparently there's a shaman tank named Gengy on Rebirth who did a lot of tank work up through at least BWL, so with the right gear and guild maybe it can work.  It'd probably cost a fortune in consumables though, just like paladin tanking does.

I tanked 5 mans with my Shaman. I started in Scarlet Monastary, mostly because I didn't want to roll these precious items against Warriors. I worked my way up from there. I never tried tanking any 20 or 40 man raid but I had no interest in that either.

With Enhancement Shamans have problems holding AoE threat. If you want to have a comfortable run then it's absolutely necessary to bring CC. A Rogue for Sap or Warlock for fear combined with a Mage for Sheep / Frost Nova will easily do the trick. Later you can switch to Elemental and hold (AoE) aggro a lot better than Enhancement is capable of doing. But it does come at the cost of taking more damage.

The biggest struggle is finding a balance between dealing threat and conserving mana. If you're not careful then you'll end up drinking after every fight, which often results into the Shaman being the person everybody is waiting for.

It's not surprising that Shamans can tank, after all, with the right gear and group any class can tank.

Do you know if the threat generation proc off Rockbiter scales with attack speed like Flametongue?

8 hours ago, Amanduh said:

Do you know if the threat generation proc off Rockbiter scales with attack speed like Flametongue?

As far as I know it's a static amount of bonus threat. At least, that's how it's coded into threat meters like KTM.

On 11-5-2016 at 9:51 AM, Outstanding said:

Anyone batting on behalf of hybrids pre-BTC gets all the kudos they deserve. 

Indeed! I've actually never been accepted into raids on my Feral.. and I come prepared because I want to make it work. But 9 out of 10 times they will take a Fury over me.

And  half of the time those furries dont even know how to DPS. :|

Edited by Marbo

@Elicas Realy like your post. I been playing Enhancement from retail vanilla to end. Never tried the spell dmg shaman. I would love trying this here. Casters wont be happy if i need on spell dmg. gear :D

I have a question about cloth gear with firedamage, does that affect the flametoung dmg? Is it somthing to aim for?

On 6/5/2017 at 8:10 AM, Sherekhan said:

I have a question about cloth gear with firedamage, does that affect the flametoung dmg? Is it somthing to aim for?

Flametongue Weapon gets a 10% coefficient, so every +100 spell damage you have it does +10 damage.

Posted (edited)

On ‎07‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 1:49 PM, Elicas said:

Flametongue Weapon gets a 10% coefficient, so every +100 spell damage you have it does +10 damage.

So does that mean, that +firedamage stats count as spell power for fire damage spells?

Edited by Xerrok

13 hours ago, Xerrok said:

So does that mean, that +firedamage stats count as spell power for fire damage spells?

Yes.

Any +[Spellschool] effects work exactly the same as spelldamage of the same number, it just only affects the school that is specified.

+Spelldamage is always the better choice, since you hardly ever use just one spell school.

8 hours ago, Elicas said:

Yes.

Any +[Spellschool] effects work exactly the same as spelldamage of the same number, it just only affects the school that is specified.

+Spelldamage is always the better choice, since you hardly ever use just one spell school.

Ok that seems Logical.

And thanks for your guide and help, I really appreciate it. I love my spell power enhancement shaman already :) 

34 minutes ago, Xerrok said:

Ok that seems Logical.

And thanks for your guide and help, I really appreciate it. I love my spell power enhancement shaman already :) 

No problem! I love them too.

19 hours ago, Elicas said:

No problem! I love them too.

Are there any good gear guide for spelldmg enhancement ofc i can go true all the dungeons and raid look for bis just wondering if there is a good list somewere

Just now, Sherekhan said:

Are there any good gear guide for spelldmg enhancement ofc i can go true all the dungeons and raid look for bis just wondering if there is a good list somewere

I'll work on something this afternoon in between MWO matches and update the OP. It could do with being brought more in line with my other guides.

5 hours ago, Elicas said:

I'll work on something this afternoon in between MWO matches and update the OP. It could do with being brought more in line with my other guides.

You are ace m8. 

If i remeber correctly a crit with flametongue or frostbrand will trigger flurry even if the white dmg dont crit. And if i am right here leveling with this spell-melee spec maybe intellect should be a priority stat even if i start in Enhancement tree. 

On ‎18‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 0:02 PM, Sherekhan said:

If i remeber correctly a crit with flametongue or frostbrand will trigger flurry even if the white dmg dont crit. And if i am right here leveling with this spell-melee spec maybe intellect should be a priority stat even if i start in Enhancement tree. 

Intellect would only raise the shamans mana.

On ‎07‎.‎05‎.‎2016 at 4:21 PM, Elicas said:

Stats & Race (level 60)

Stamina: 1 Stamina = 10 health.
Strength: 1 Strength = 2 Attack Power.
14 Attack Power = 1 DPS.
Agility: 20 Agility = 1% Critical Strike Chance
Intellect: 1 Intellect = 15 Mana.
Spell Damage: Depending on your build, either you're most important stat or your least important stat.

Depending on what you want to do the most, there are reasonable choices for each race.

Taurens Warstomp and 5% health bonus make them the best choice for Tanking, especially if you are focussing on tanking 5 mans.

Trolls Berserking casting/attack speed bonus make them the best choice for PvE DPS.