Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Elicas

The PvE server pledge

40 posts in this topic

Something I've been thinking about for a while, is that the devs have stated they will keep the PvE server open as long as it;

  1. Isn't too expensive.
  2. Has a solid enough population.

With the track record of other projects, we can presume to have somewhere in the region of 25%-60% of the population of the PvP server. That means we either need;

  1. More people donating less money.
  2. Fewer people donating significantly more money.

For the server to pull in similar money to the PvP server.

My proposal is thus;

If the server lives up to its potential and becomes the place to be, we as a PvE community pledge to donate monthly towards the running costs of the server. However, the more of us who pledge, the less we will have to pledge. If we look at the most expensive Game Server host provided by OVH, we're looking at £111.99 monthly. That would be;

  1. One person donating £111.99
  2. Two people donating £56.00
  3. Ten people donating £11.19
  4. Twenty Five people donating £4.48
  5. Fifty people donating £2.24
  6. One Hundred people donating £1.11
  7. One Hundred and Ten people donating £1.00
  8. Two Hundred people donating £0.56

Now, I can't imagine a position where we don't have at least a few hundred players. If this project turns out to be anything like Nost, and we have a few thousand players on the PvE server, we could get donations as low as;

  1. A Thousand people donating £0.12

You can't tell me that we can't find a thousand people willing to donate 12 pence a month towards the running costs of the server? I think it would also be great if the devs would put up a 'progress bar' for donations on the front page, totalling a general bar for the vanity store, a bar for the PvP server and a bar for the PvE server, and then they stop taking donations each month when the bar is 'full' and the server has been paid for. Vanity store donations go towards making up any shortfall or paying for hardware upgrades, or perhaps just to lowering the threshold on the donations bar for the next month.

TL:DR if 110 people donate £1 a month for the PvE server, it'll stay up pretty much indefinitely.

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd pay a sub to Blizz, so np to donate here.

I lked the Nostalrius idea of people donating to an account that would then xfer the money to the project. We could have a thermometer!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since it's launching up front, it'll have plenty of players. Nost had a shitty PvE realm because it launched late, after most people were already 60 doing raids, then refused to let anyone transfer to it, more or less saying "Tough shit, start over again now if you want to move". This is why it had a comparably pitiful population vs PvP. There was actually a huge population of Nost players on PvP, who didn't give any shits about it (like myself). They were only on it because they were forced. With both finally launching together for once, people can stop pretending everyone wants PvP.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have no problem donating to ensure the server stays up; no posh pets/mounts required, just a stable server.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Elicas said:

I think it would also be great if the devs would put up a 'progress bar' for donations on the front page, totalling a general bar for the vanity store, a bar for the PvP server and a bar for the PvE server

Yea, imo great idea.

5 hours ago, DeeMarie said:

I'd pay a sub to Blizz

Ye, me2. And i guess we r not alone:D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Drain said:

Since it's launching up front, it'll have plenty of players. Nost had a shitty PvE realm because it launched late, after most people were already 60 doing raids, then refused to let anyone transfer to it, more or less saying "Tough shit, start over again now if you want to move". This is why it had a comparably pitiful population vs PvP.

It had about 2.4k when I played on there, god I remember when over 200 was a good population lol Plus all the Chinese had set up shop on PvP, pushing that to 12k.

It's going to be very interesting in terms of population between the PvP and PvE, who gets the biggest slice, where the raiders go, who will get first kills etc I would love come competition between the two :P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gah! Too many things to say on this topic but too busy at present. Back later. 

Yes. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm no expert by any means in running a server, but won't DDoS protection add to the costs? Or all those proxies they plan to have? Just came into my mind, I might be completly wrong.

These don't really change your point though. With decent amount of supporters it would be really easy to keep the server running.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it wasn't meant to be hard math, just a poke for the PvE server players to put our money where our mouths are. I'd love to see a point where we're the community to beat, hitting the funding goal each month from donations so they never have to add any P2W stuff to the shop.

@Clavus yes, there are additional costs than just the pure hosting costs. To my knowledge proper DDoS protection is actually more expensive than the server itself.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ayyy, if we have enough people to pitch in a dollar or two, then I'd donate too. :) Show those PvP bastards that we can have our server and pay for it, too. xD

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'd be nice if everyone pitched in. I'd honestly love to see some statistics from other servers i.e amount donated monthly and the ratio of donators/population.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, i don't need any vanity items or something like that. Pve servers are unique and needs more attention. Just keep the server alive. this is our major concern. 

 i expect that we will have a great community in zul'dare and our playerbase won't let the server to die. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll donate generously when server is live and healthy, Osu is also free and already donated more than 50 euros there. makes for a healthy community :) 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DeeMarie said:

It had about 2.4k when I played on there, god I remember when over 200 was a good population lol Plus all the Chinese had set up shop on PvP, pushing that to 12k.

It's going to be very interesting in terms of population between the PvP and PvE, who gets the biggest slice, where the raiders go, who will get first kills etc I would love come competition between the two :P

its gonna be somewhat close, predicting 40/60 pve/pvp 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, floydian said:

For me, i don't need any vanity items or something like that. Pve servers are unique and needs more attention. Just keep the server alive. this is our major concern. 

 i expect that we will have a great community in zul'dare and our playerbase won't let the server to die. 

this.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The risk is always that when some people end up donating, it isnt enough and the server closes anyway, because of lack of funds or lack of population or whatever it may be. That money is lost and for nothing essentially. If I somehow 'knew' that the money donated would keep the server up, then I would not mind to donate myself, even monthly if the server is as great as its looking to be. Also dont forget that there have been times when someone donated a larger amount of money before the server launched and the devs then simply ran off with it, closing the project altogether. (Thats not gonna happen here but its just a thing to remember in this scene)

I also dont care for vanity items such as pets or tabards or whatever. Mounts are cool I guess but thats it

Edited by Sakritan
3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sakritan said:

The risk is always that when some people end up donating, it isnt enough and the server closes anyway, because of lack of funds or lack of population or whatever it may be. That money is lost and for nothing essentially. If I somehow 'knew' that the money donated would keep the server up, then I would not mind to donate myself, even monthly if the server is as great as its looking to be. Also dont forget that there have been times when someone donated a larger amount of money before the server launched and the devs then simply ran off with it, closing the project altogether. (Thats not gonna happen here but its just a thing to remember in this scene)

I also dont care for vanity items such as pets or tabards or whatever. Mounts are cool I guess but thats it

I'm the same as you man, if I knew that the server was helped by our donations then I'd happily donate monthly to keep it afloat. And again I agree with the vanity items, I could always just grind for a fancy mount if I wanted to :P

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sakritan said:

The risk is always that when some people end up donating, it isnt enough and the server closes anyway, because of lack of funds or lack of population or whatever it may be. That money is lost and for nothing essentially. If I somehow 'knew' that the money donated would keep the server up, then I would not mind to donate myself, even monthly if the server is as great as its looking to be. Also dont forget that there have been times when someone donated a larger amount of money before the server launched and the devs then simply ran off with it, closing the project altogether. (Thats not gonna happen here but its just a thing to remember in this scene)

I also dont care for vanity items such as pets or tabards or whatever. Mounts are cool I guess but thats it

A lesson from the pserver scene; nothing lasts. CF could be taken down or the devs do a Corecraft or you might find your interest elsewhere or Blizz announces Legacy. I donated on my last two servers, not a huge amount, but I was paying for the fun I was having right there and then, not for future security. Sure it was a shame to lose a few 60s but it was never wasted money because I had such a blast at the time.

And I'm sure if the PvE server ended up closed, they'd allow us to xfer to the PvP realm and vice versa :)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DeeMarie said:

A lesson from the pserver scene; nothing lasts. CF could be taken down or the devs do a Corecraft or you might find your interest elsewhere or Blizz announces Legacy. I donated on my last two servers, not a huge amount, but I was paying for the fun I was having right there and then, not for future security. Sure it was a shame to lose a few 60s but it was never wasted money because I had such a blast at the time.

And I'm sure if the PvE server ended up closed, they'd allow us to xfer to the PvP realm and vice versa :)

Ye I was mostly refering to setting up monthly donation things before/close to launch, and not after launch. You got a good point though. If I enjoy the server and think it lives up to the hopes (being above the competition), then I will definitly donate abit regardless. Im sure we would get a chance to transfer if the PVE server somehow went down, so thats something ^^

Edited by Sakritan
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK thoughts on this, that is, opinion where we have a discussion.

First of all, the success of the Zul'Dare is based on population, not subscriptions. If the population sucks and we all pay oodles of cash it will still be shut down as being unworkable reference PvP (assuming not cross-realm) + non-functioning economy + lack of progress on raiding guilds + the AQ war effort + bad optics = I was on Zul'Dare, peak pop <400 people Crestfall is doomed.

So far more attention should be paid on encouraging people to play on the PvE realm ahead of fundraising drives.

Point the second. I feel uneasy about us vs them. As in Zul'Dare vs Kil'Tiras. It's a Crestfall community where we all work together to make it work. Just because the PvE realm has a better community, more mature players, better morale, ethics, fun, guilds and will clear content faster that the PvP'ers is no reason to hit them with the better funding stick either. OK joking aside, surely we should look at this from a total cost to run Crestfall not us vs them. The PvP crowd are pretty cool being honest and I am really, really looking forward to healthy competition between both realms. But for funding, we should all be in this together IMHO. Sorry I meant IMO.

Third, costs are super high. I know @Elicas was giving as per example but on Discord I have seen costs detailed in the 1000's maybe 10,000's. I don't know enough to verify this but it feels right to me. It ain't cheap. Hence my perspective on all players regardless of realm contributing.

Fourthly, in terms of payments I favour small subscriptions. That way if it goes down in flames then you have only paid for what you got out of it rather than future promises.

The fifth point is that subs should not be standardised. Value the €1 given by a student more than the €20 given by the employed with good jobs.

On the sixth point, for verification purposes there should be a target set per month, maybe not the full cost, but a balanced amount that takes the financial heat off the staff team.

Lucky seventh, one option is to give access to a section of the forum to subscribers that will have this kind of information available. Maybe have an ask the devs section, or some other such access to god function so they feel that they get a bang for their buck/bucks.

Heavenly eighth, no frills as others have said. The sub would be to play the game, no vanity pets, no mounts, no titles, no nothing. You contribute because you love the game and you want to aid the financial burden for the staff team. Anything else smacks of elitism or ''look at me'' crap. We're above all this. It's Vanilla, you get stuff from hard work and grinding, not cause you have more cash.

In nine, still think we need a community rep to verify all is above board that has passive access to what is going on. This @Elicas individual should have a big base of knowledge on PS realms and stuff and be trustworthy. So for my 2c if that worked, he fits the bill.

That's about it for discussion document.      

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Gry said:

https://i.imgflip.com/1c6mf6.jpg

I'm not a trump supporter, just have a laugh :>

 

I snorted and pepsi came out of my nose. My nose burns now. I can't give any more rep today but I'm coming back to give this rep +1

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Outstanding said:

Heavenly eighth, no frills as others have said. The sub would be to play the game, no vanity pets, no mounts, no titles, no nothing. You contribute because you love the game and you want to aid the financial burden for the staff team. Anything else smacks of elitism or ''look at me'' crap. We're above all this. It's Vanilla, you get stuff from hard work and grinding, not cause you have more cash.

mmmhmmmm, amen to that

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now