Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Elicas

The PvE server pledge

40 posts in this topic

I support the idea of the donation progress bar.

If the server turns out to be as great as I (and I think most of us) expect, I thought of donating £20, even if I end up not playing on the PvE realm. The pserver scene needs more PvE realms.

I will probably give some more on a happy day too :3

If Crestfall delivers  with a quality realm and the sever population is healthy and stable I have no issues supporting the project financially. 

I'd only consider it after 6 months of playing tbh. I'm not going to drop money on something that could shut next week, or dies shortly after release.

I'd happily donate...

Also, with so many people willing to buy gold on private servers, it shouldn't be hard finding people that make sure the prerequisites are met... ;)

Edited by Pinkbeard
grammar

On 10/10/2016 at 7:06 PM, Elicas said:

Something I've been thinking about for a while, is that the devs have stated they will keep the PvE server open as long as it;

1. Isn't too expensive.
  2. Has a solid enough population.

With the track record of other projects, we can presume to have somewhere in the region of 25%-60% of the population of the PvP server. That means we either need;

1. More people donating less money.
  2. Fewer people donating significantly more money.

For the server to pull in similar money to the PvP server.

My proposal is thus;

If the server lives up to its potential and becomes the place to be, we as a PvE community pledge to donate monthly towards the running costs of the server. However, the more of us who pledge, the less we will have to pledge. If we look at the most expensive Game Server host provided by OVH, we're looking at £111.99 monthly. That would be;

1. One person donating £111.99
  2. Two people donating £56.00
  3. Ten people donating £11.19
  4. Twenty Five people donating £4.48
  5. Fifty people donating £2.24
  6. One Hundred people donating £1.11
  7. One Hundred and Ten people donating £1.00
  8. Two Hundred people donating £0.56

Now, I can't imagine a position where we don't have at least a few hundred players. If this project turns out to be anything like Nost, and we have a few thousand players on the PvE server, we could get donations as low as;

1. A Thousand people donating £0.12

You can't tell me that we can't find a thousand people willing to donate 12 pence a month towards the running costs of the server? I think it would also be great if the devs would put up a 'progress bar' for donations on the front page, totalling a general bar for the vanity store, a bar for the PvP server and a bar for the PvE server, and then they stop taking donations each month when the bar is 'full' and the server has been paid for. Vanity store donations go towards making up any shortfall or paying for hardware upgrades, or perhaps just to lowering the threshold on the donations bar for the next month.

TL:DR if 110 people donate £1 a month for the PvE server, it'll stay up pretty much indefinitely.

I wouldn't have a problem donating especially if the Dev's have a proxy server for Australians so that our lag is around 10ms only

Nostalrius PVE realm costs were paid 6 months in advance on 1st day after enabling donations few days ago (this was so much that they even closed donation cause they are not necessary atm). And this is old realm which dont have so much hype as new realm would i guess.

If people wanna play on quality server they ll pay costs no doubt.

The server being too expensive doesn't necessarily mean that the Crestfall team comes up short of the money needed to keep it operating. If operating costs rise enough, it could simply not make business sense to spend the money required even if billions of dollars are available to be spent. (Nostalrius hinted that this was the situation Blizz's cease and desist order put them in, but I have trouble trusting a single word those people say.)

We shouldn't jump to the conclusion that the Crestfall people are dirt-poor in their personal and business finances, because we have no idea whether that's true or not. It's also none of our business. So let's just wait and see whether they ask us for money before offering it to them. It's their place to bring up that subject, and I think we're being rather intrusive bringing it up first.

10 hours ago, Blackrobe said:

Nostalrius PVE realm costs were paid 6 months in advance on 1st day after enabling donations few days ago (this was so much that they even closed donation cause they are not necessary atm). And this is old realm which dont have so much hype as new realm would i guess.

If people wanna play on quality server they ll pay costs no doubt.

Other way around. The Nost re-release is the most hyped server release in the history of private servers. Usually, a beta or stress test tends to get less than half the population of the server. They had more than twice as many people show up for their test than plays on every other vanilla server in every other language put together.

9 hours ago, quentinv said:

We shouldn't jump to the conclusion that the Crestfall people are dirt-poor in their personal and business finances, because we have no idea whether that's true or not. It's also none of our business. So let's just wait and see whether they ask us for money before offering it to them. It's their place to bring up that subject, and I think we're being rather intrusive bringing it up first.

This has come up before in the old version of the FAQ. They'll only pay for the first few months of keeping the servers up, after that, it is based off of community donations. If we don't donate, the server goes down.

6 hours ago, Elicas said:

This has come up before in the old version of the FAQ. They'll only pay for the first few months of keeping the servers up, after that, it is based off of community donations. If we don't donate, the server goes down.

That's a de facto subscription fee. And it makes no sense that they would spend years developing a new core and rebuilding the server software from scratch and then watch their project crash and burn just because players aren't shelling out bucks to keep it running. What's the reasoning here?

2 hours ago, quentinv said:

That's a de facto subscription fee. And it makes no sense that they would spend years developing a new core and rebuilding the server software from scratch and then watch their project crash and burn just because players aren't shelling out bucks to keep it running. What's the reasoning here?

They're engineers and coders, making it is fun. Paying out of pocket to run a server for other people to play on isn't exactly fun, and depending on how many servers they end up with and how many players are playing, as well as keeping the forum up and proper DDoS protection, it can be pretty expensive.

The number of servers that run entirely out of their owners pockets can be counted on one hand. The lifeblood of every server is donations, hence why so many of them run P2W cash shops where you can but boosts and gear.

52 minutes ago, Elicas said:

They're engineers and coders, making it is fun. Paying out of pocket to run a server for other people to play on isn't exactly fun, and depending on how many servers they end up with and how many players are playing, as well as keeping the forum up and proper DDoS protection, it can be pretty expensive.

The number of servers that run entirely out of their owners pockets can be counted on one hand. The lifeblood of every server is donations, hence why so many of them run P2W cash shops where you can but boosts and gear.

Thanks, that makes sense.

If Crestfall delivers a quality PvE server, with the intention of being a PvE PTE server, I will donate €12.99 monthly for as long as I play. 

Ill gladly pay the same as i would for a blizz subscription every month. And i plan on doing so :)

I for one will be donating as soon as i can to help keep the server running.

My only question is @Darkrasp @Asura If i donate money can i say what server it is for. So that i could donate and help make sure the server i play on is the one that we keep if everything goes bad?

IE. I do not want to roll on the pvp server but say you close down the PVE server and merge us into the PVP server because you lack funding but it turns out all the PVE players were the ones donating and the PVPers were all freeloaders. Would it not make more scence to keep the PVE server in this situation even if the PVP one has a bigger player base.

Just my only concern.

On 10/11/2016 at 5:45 AM, Elicas said:

Yeah it wasn't meant to be hard math, just a poke for the PvE server players to put our money where our mouths are. I'd love to see a point where we're the community to beat, hitting the funding goal each month from donations so they never have to add any P2W stuff to the shop.

@Clavus yes, there are additional costs than just the pure hosting costs. To my knowledge proper DDoS protection is actually more expensive than the server itself.

Seeing how terrible Elysium PvP is right now with DDoS protection, I'm all in on forking out some monthly cash to maintain a defense against the inevitable onslaught of dbags. I get maybe 30 minutes of playtime per day right now because they're servers are wide open for assault and asking for it.