Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arcane

Honest thoughts on Legion?

44 posts in this topic

Hi Crestfall

So I just had a search on Google for some reviews of Legion. They are all excellent - 8/10, 9/10 etc. But the gaming press is just like any other field of journalism today - lazy, uninspired, bought and paid for. I'm sure they said the same when WoD came out. And the expansions before that.

Yes, I am pessimistic about what I see and hear. However I am interested in hearing how people really feel about it. My friends tell me it's great. But we're on different pages when it comes to games.

Just wondering if I could get some honest thoughts from the people who are currently playing?

Dons flame-retardant suite.

This is a recent post of mine from my guild forums

(I've been in the same guild since Classic, been up and down the ranks - from GL, RL, officer to private and back again, and haven't played retail since end of MoP, but there's still a few guys and gals left there and veterans always have their forum accounts active, we keep in touch by other means)

Nah, sorry, got a game-code on the "black" market for really cheap after Blizz sent me a 7day pass (got 30days with gold)

I leveled a warrior to 60 for veteran benefits > boosted to 100 (had an unused free boost) and leveled to 110.
Got bored out of my mind, won't be subbing I'm afraid, the game has moved so far away from me :(

I was never one to really enjoy the questing / lore aspect, but the old type of questing I could tolerate because it gave me the opportunity to basically roam around the world and pick up stuff to do on a whim, make some friends etc.

This time it felt like being trapped in the cheesiest reality show ever.
QTE after QTE, loading screen after loading screen, port here, port there, listen to how I'm the greatest warrior that ever lived at every corner, I saved the universe don't know how many times.
By treating me like an insecure asshole that needs constant positive re-inforcement and pampering, they made me hate my character, there is no character progression it looks like other than itemlevel. I mean where do you go when you start from "master of the universe".

Then the "now fuck off for 4-12hrs" while your followers go do stuff.
The suspension of disbelief needed to immerse in the world is completely gone for me, the Artifact grind is a very poorly disguised iteration of the good ole "annual pass".
Plus I don't understand why they had to cut the old talents, and "prune" a bunch of class abilities just to repackage them as part of my weapon (artifact tree) instead of character traits, and on top put artificial time-gates on that to hell and back.

Anyway, to cut short on the whining :P
Game systems seem as polished as ever, the interface changes are great, the models and animation changes seem ok.
The leveling apart from being extremely on rails and boring (for me) was also trivial, bunch of critters everywhere model changed to look like actual enemies.
I did a couple dungeons while leveling, the "run into everything and aoe" playstyle seems to be as prevalent as ever at least on leveling dungeons.
With all the forced solo-scenarios where I have an NPC dragging me by the nose / phasing / crz etc it was also the most single player experience I've ever had in WoW.

I'm pretty sure the raids and small group content is going to be high quality at end-game but there seems to be so much shit I don't like surrounding the good parts that I'm not encouraged to try get to them at all.

So anyway, I came upon some free time (a contract finished, so I'm between jobs with some money saved and no immediate pressure to jump back on the hamsterwheel).
I upgraded my decade old PC, got into some modern nostalgia (finished DOOM 2016 to remind me of my FPS roots, and Project CARS) and on the mmo front I'm waiting for Crestfall :P

Crestfall = another Progressive private server that should be coming out in 2-3 months :D
They intend to start at Vanilla (both a PvP and a PvE realm) go through content following more or less the 1.x patch progression over 18 months.
Then open BC realms and let interested max levels copy over and continue there (vanilla realms will remain, so you can play both).
The same will happen with WotLK.

PS. I miss all the people I knew in _______ wherever they might have ended up, but that is not enough for me to tolerate modern WoW I'm afraid.
So I'm officially the rose-tinted nostalgia goggles guy as far as WoW is concerned :D

That's it in a nutshell, I left it very opinionated so it's obvious it's a personal opinion and I don't assume to speak for everyone.

I've also posted lengthy rants on other aspects of Legion I disliked that are more reasoned and articulated but .. eh .. one thing at a time :P

Edit: I'd just like to point out that WoD had the same (and even higher ratings in some cases) when it launched and we all know how that turned out.

Proof: All about WoD

Edited by Roadblock

I haven't hit level 110 yet, I don't want to use my boost as it's my first time playing as Alliance with the thought of hitting level cap. So far I'm level 42, a female dwarf monk (I'm such a hipster).

I've heard much about time gates and grind. I didn't go to play retail to farm the latest raids and get the best gear, that was never my interest. My first goal is to one-shot the Lich King with my bare hands. But I assume I will need level cap and some decent gear. So I'm working towards it. I generally want to be able to solo farm WotLK content, the current "lore" is more of a joke in my opinion and I want to feel immersed and a part of the game world.

I want to farm mounts and cool titles, I'm a real showoff when it comes to that  : D

And I've always wanted to have the epic Celestial Steed but hesitated to buy it on a private server as it would be quite a waste of money if it got shut down... Maybe I'll treat myself if the game isn't awful on level cap.

The levelling itself is a breeze, cross-realm queues may be killing the community, but I'm a solo rider so I enjoy my quick RDF invites. And every day you have a quest - in what I assume is a class hall - which gives you an exp buff of 50% from both monsters and quests. It last 1 hour, but every X levels you get an extra class quest so it stacks to 2 hours.

Edited by ilovecats

Some of my guildies say that it's just me turning into this guy

201512_1144_cgceg_sm.jpg

But there will still be several rolling on CF when it launches to relive - or in some cases experience - Classic.

(Some only joined us in BC or Wrath)

Giving credence to the idea that you can like modern WoW and still want to play Legacy :)

Legion is complete and utter shit. It is not a rpg game anymore. Its the new style "instanced" game design and they copied mucho stuffo from diablo, which made the game really awkward. You are showered with epix and you only look ad item level and because of new diablo shit now you get random stats on some items which instead of making you like the game, frustrates you even more. There are 163, yes 163 FUCKING LEGENDARY ITEMS FOR FUCK SAKE!!11. Its a game made for 6 year olds and mythical bastards. Its not Wow from its best years - vanilla - wotlk. And by the way - there is an mobile app that lets you play some part of the game - FOR FUCK SAKE?

Yeah. Bought it...couldn't get into it at all. I feel like I'm being streamlined toward equally crappy end-game content. I feel like people defend this piece of crap simply because they waste money on subs and the overpriced expacs. Everybody feels the same, despite people trying to claim they're different. Everything looks the same, despite there being 12 classes. Trying to bring in aspects of a non-MMO game to improve an MMO game is a big red flag of a failing game. Everyone is special. Everyone is the hero of their own goddamn story. Then when you get to endgame content, you realize you're not shit. You got there by yourself and are expected to just conform and fall in line with the whole gear level and raiding fiasco. 

I miss having to make a name for yourself. I miss having to go out in the world and ask people for help with impossible quests, thus making a friend or enemy along the way. I miss people working for their gear, their rep, their mounts, their money - everything. Legion is a turd. Is it a slightly better turd than WoD was? I guess. But at the end of the day, it's still shit. All I do now is do transmog runs of old Vanilla/TBC/WotLK raids and instances along with old reputation grinds from TBC for mounts. It's way more fun than Legion content. 

So yeah. As soon as my sub is up, I'm uninstalling and will watch whatever it is that Blizzard will do to WoW from an uninterested PoV. I'll stay at CF, where they'll give me the version of the game I love and remember. 

I haven't played Live since Cata but I picked up Legion last month after a couple of ex-guildies said it was good.

And it was. I enjoyed it as an RPG, killing rares and doing the stories. The new zones are all very tunnelled though, like SWToR was. It's actually hard to go off track or you fall off cliffs. I liked the Paladin hub and sending my scrubs out to kill stuff. No idea what Nomi was doing when I gave him stuff but he burnt food a lot. Dalagran is back and worse than ever.

Hit 110 and realised I hadn't said a word to anyone, not even during World Quests. Dungeons are still x-realm and pointless. I quit rather than add another month, it's just not the same game. Nice and fun but ultimately very hollow and pointless without that community feel you get in classic.

4 hours ago, Roadblock said:

Those WoD reviews do not surprise me one bit.

You pretty much confirm my impression of the game there. It looks tailored to the 'special snowflake' generation. I mean you are literally a unique and very important  character according to the lore now (along with everyone else who also wields the same weapon.) No thanks.

Here is my friend trying to convince me:no_legion_thanks.png

Lol. I got him to try Nost and all he did was moan about the grind. Didn't make it past 25.

This is why I hope Blizz don't do their own legacy servers - their playerbase is not cut out for the sort of experience our kind want to enjoy. It would only end badly.

Your friend is a filthy casual, m8, time to let him go. lol xD 

My honest thoughts on Legion? Worst fucking abortion of an expansion ever to be released(what can you expect honestly? nowadays BETA keys are handed over to streamers in hopes of free publicity to get more money instead of using them for what BETA keys are really for, for finding issues, fixing bugs and raising the quality of the game, honestly Twitch.tv is the worst cancer ever to be introduced into gaming insdustry, dont believe me? go check sodapoppin or summit1g channel for a dose of down syndrome or that whore kaceytron or whatever her name is, the fact that the channels with the most subscribers are low quality entertainment, whit shitty jokes and an aids fest of a chat doesnt tell you anything then you need professional help, but thats not the point of this rant so forgive me i got carried away by my hatred) even WOD and CATACLYSM were better,(I have played every single one but TBC), honestly I never thought i would quit after two weeks its so bad, inflation is through the roof(two months of subscription equals 60 stacks of potions, thank garrisons for this!), artifact weapons(yeah fuck trashbringer you heard me right) were the WORST WASTE OF DEVELOPMENT TIME EVER SPENT like serious-fucking-lee instead of wasting time making all these boring, uncreative, long quest lines and stories couldn't you just focus on making new bgs, fixing the balance between the classes, maybe making better talent trees instead of the inbred abortion of a talent tree we have in artifact weapons? No you had to fucking add another grind in the game for artifact power, reputations are grindy as never before boring and shitty too, I can't even remember the name of the zones honestly that's how lame Legion is, but whatever the corpsewalks in that vrykul zone is HELLISH due to all the mountains and cliffs and not being able to even fly in ghostform one would think that with flying being removed bliz would make more transitable and friendly terrain WRONG!, gatting everything behind raids and reputations(yep flying and LOREMASTER TITLE included so pvpers are forced into pve cool right?), demon hunters just don't simply convince me i hate the class which is sad because if there was one class I was excited about was DH ever since i encountered Lord Illidan in WC3 but well it is what it is, to switch talents you need the help of an scribe which is stupid as fuck should've stayed with the dual talent system that was introduced in WOTLK, professions are bad imagine that the professions are a physical object that was gutted, burned, squished, scratched, broken in two, washed in acid, thrown in a pit of lava, chewed  and eaten by a terrorsaur then shitted out now you can imagine how bad they look... And therefore how bad they are right now, like items recipes are 3 ranks to craft, every rank lowers the cost of the materials it still terrible(OH and anyone that has done the leatherworking quest chain will feel my pain I have to say FUCK THAT SHIT AND FUCK THE GUY WHO MADE IT!) I wish they went back to how they were in Mop and before, the legendary system in legion is T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E its RNG as never before sure I havent got one and I dont care I just pretend they dont exist but think about this lets say that there is a guy that is as hardcore as possible plays the game seriously logs in everyday his guild needs him to clear raids, etc and never gets one but the now father of 3 kids that barely logs at all and has 812 ilvl got his inside a random neutral turtle he killed on the beach thats how bad it is it should've been just like it was in VANILLA, TBC, WOTLK AND CATA reserved to certain classes per expansion(fuck legendary welfare for everyone, looking at you WOD AND MOP), class halls is garrisons 2.0 but not that interesting or rewarding some class halls rock some others are just recycled shit(haha surpring coming from blizzard right? not!), world quests at the beginning they gave useful stuff but when you get higher ilvl the items become irrelevant and believe me when are a WW you want WW trinkets and stuff  not a fucking 840 trinket giving whatever amount of int and haste fuck that shit, that's all everything is so bad that I probably forgot to mention something else but whatever... Now you will ask, Helzing, Prophet of Lord Harambe why all this negative stuff about Legion? Well my child I do have some compliments, the zones were beautiful the art team like always never disapoints, the new transmog system is awesome, Dalaran is back as a main capital however there is a catch! it has been destroyed partly and the iconic beautiful main theme isn't there anymore(just in northrend's dalaran like always) so i r8 Legion's Dalaran 5/10 harambes, but thats just about it imo.

Some might not understand my burning hate for artifact weapons, but think about this, I as a main WW monk want to start healing ok? Fine before artifacts I could just switch and read a few guides and period I would be a bit unexperienced but still usefull sure main healers would be a better choice over me, but thats fine because it now depends on me learning Mistwalking... Now with artifact weapons I would be behind people that main healer because I need to grind up all those perks in my mistwalking artifact weapon to be in pair with other healers add to that lacking mistwalking playtime and being unexperienced at it... It's just terrible it feels like honestly Blizzard is making things grindy on purpose... Why? I will explain, but some inbred, fedora tapping, vaping, neckbeard idiots will say: Uh... Muh Vanilla was just as grindy... No you imbecile Blizzard its just at a point where they cant make relevant content anymore and to keep players subbed they just have to make things grindy, the more grind there is the more time people spend in the game, the more time people spend in the game the more money blizzard gets... So yeah WOW is officially dead and I never thought I would say this as I was never a doomsday prophet or some shit NEVER AND I SAY NEVER been like this, but this time its for real WoW. is. dead.(psssst Karazhan will return as a 5man dungeon but not even that will make it interesting again plus more recycled content YEY amirite???????)

Sorry for these insults and bad grammar I know the reader tends to disregard bad written sentences but bear with me english is my second language and every time people ask for opinions on legion I get really really triggered.

aXBYk.jpg

TL;DR: Legion sucks. Buy it at your own risk, you have been warned.

Edited by Helzing

Quit mid-Cata so I have no say for MoP, WoD or Legion and I haven't felt compelled to try either of them. 

Yeah I told myself I wasn't going to do it, but a couple people from work played it and I got suckered into buying it. It's lame and I agree with you on everything; but I think the worse thing Blizzard ever did, was raise the level cap. It should of stayed at 60. I'm just waitting for CAmelot Unchained or Crestfall to hit.

Edited by Beanlips

I didn't buy it, but I'm somewhat conflicted by it. My wife is currently playing it and enjoying it (though she is a much more casual player than me), she leveled Paladins to 60 on Kronos 1 and Nostalrius PvE, so it has something about it that can also appeal to classic players. Then there's a few guys I hold in very high respect from my time on K1 and Nost, who went back to Retail after Nost died. They're also still dying, including a RL from one of the more progressive guilds there. Nothing I've seen has made me want to try it, even for a moment, but people whose opinions I rate highly are enjoying it and say Mythic is a blast.

TL:DR - Opinions vary. 

Nothing I've read has convinced me that this expansion would be any better. I'm sure the leveling experience is fun and the raids well designed but I won't be coming back as long as

1. CRZ/Phasing is a thing

2. New content patches with catch-up mechanics make gear gained from previous tiers worthless

3. Everything outside proper raids can be soloed/done with minimal interaction with other players

4. Timers on everything stretch out the content

5. The community is overwhelmingly negative/impatient/indifferent towards other players

In other words, never again.

I didn't buy it, Legion looks like WOD v2, it's like blizzard hit a turning point Cata onwards, and then they hit another turning point WOD onwards. I was fine in cata/mop, but WOD onwards Blizzard have simply gone too far in their ways.

How many times have people got to tell you this?

It's a PTE project. Has been since day one. The lead admin wants to go past WotLK. It's happening, either deal with it or find somewhere else to play.

32 minutes ago, RonaldoR9 said:

Not sure what you're asking for here.

I agree in that I think it would be a bit silly to run the server through to Legion (as it seems people are attracted to these kinds of projects precisely because they are not happy with how retail has progressed).

However if the devs wish to do that then that's their choice. We all would have had a few years of fun by that point anyway (I don't plan on playing past TBC.)

Maybe it's a poor choice of words on your behalf but with that last paragraph you come off sounding quite entitled and demanding of a group of people (devs) who, quite frankly, owe you nothing. No one is forcing you to stay here and wait for release. 

I regret having to make this post but can we please keep this thread on topic? You can raise any concerns you may have in the Feedback section of the forum.

55 minutes ago, RonaldoR9 said:

and still people want to do those expansions again here on the server........ i still don't get it...

*snip wall of text*

Well, I probably wouldn't mind playing WOD and Legion if it's with a good community, and when Crestfall do it, it might be different in one or two ways anyway.

14 minutes ago, RonaldoR9 said:

so the server has nothing to do with the Nostalrius-Blizzard-Bring back legacy issue??

alright then, im packing my stuff....

I'm so tempted...

You do realize we know who you are.. right? Both on the Nostalrius forums (before and after your rename) and on Vanilla.re (sorry "vanilla-servers" nowadays) and other places...

I don't think anyone will be too miffed if you take your zealot crusade elsewhere.

You entered the project without doing any homework, invade unrelated threads with "I'll tell you what's up" attitude and numerous attempts to reason with you politely and try to keep you on topic have fallen on deaf ears.

Two days later you're in another thread copy-pasting the same.

I'm sorry you thought you joined the Nostalrius-Legacy-fanclub and we disappointed you.

Edited by Roadblock

3 hours ago, Pvt_8Ball said:

I didn't buy it, Legion looks like WOD v2, it's like blizzard hit a turning point Cata onwards, and then they hit another turning point WOD onwards. I was fine in cata/mop, but WOD onwards Blizzard have simply gone too far in their ways.

From Cata +, WoW ceased to be an MMORPG. Cata / MoP were still fun to play though. After playing nothing but Vanilla for so long, I went on a Cata server recently and realized it was actually a good expansion despite what people say. The talent tree change was inevitable but the gameplay overall has improved. What I disliked was the 1-60 change and the streamlining of questing. I liked the 80-85 zones but every time I went through, it was the same exact thing over and over.

From Wrath onward, there's been a steep decline in the quality of backstory and a growing emphasis on "Come, hero! You must save the world!" which has gotten to a tipping point in Legion, where you're now actually the class leaders in the lore. So cheesy. Between this, adding community / group-killing features like LFR, account-wide everything, phasing, cutscenes, "go go go aoe everything" mentality in dungeons, and storyline questing that doesn't play well in a group, it's simply no longer a multiplayer game. What made it great has been sterilized or removed.

Plus, with most of the original WoW team gone from the Warcraft project (or from Blizzard entirely), it's easy to see they've lost interest and retail WoW may well be ending soon. I guess they've been saying that since BC though.