Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Lilaina

So what's so special about PvE Realms?

91 posts in this topic

PVE servers allow to me to choose when I want to PVP and not have it forced upon me.

imo PVE communities have nicer people also.

first reason to choose pve realm is community. less toxicity and more maturity.

secondly i don't have enough time on weekdays. i got 2-3 hours to play so i don't want to kill my time as a walking dead.

last and best part is fishing without backstabbing.

Yep. The free fishing is critical.

Edited by Outstanding

21 minutes ago, floydian said:

first reason to choose pve realm is community. less toxicity and more maturity.

secondly i don't have enough time on weekdays. i got 2-3 hours to play so i don't want to kill my time as a walking dead.

last and best part is fishing without backstabbing.

On Sonntag, 16. Oktober 2016 at 11:54 AM, Lilaina said:

Are people simply sick of getting ganked at STV or is there some other reason that makes people think PvE is better?

Sick of being ganked is one aspect. Honestly, a level ?? player of the opposite faction hunting lowbies isn't even PvP for me. It's a waste of my time.

Another aspect is that PvP servers tend to foster a "Us vs Them" mindset that tends to drive moderate players away as time goes on, leaving mostly the (ob)noxious uber-fans with little patience for anyone not up to their standards.

A third aspect is that PvP based on two factions will almost inevitably lead to one faction dominating the other, which then also impacts PvE.

I gotta add to that: It's not that I don't enjoy PvP, but it's gotta be well-matched and somewhat balanced. Two-faction systems tend not to do so hot there as far as MMORPGs go, so I am waiting for CU in that regard.

Edited by Avila

I started on a PvP server on retail ages ago and dying to a player really made me rage, if I wasnt up for any PvP action. I was on a herbing mood? Grinded Runecloth? Essences of X? No please, no PvP, not now. I never even fought back in that case, just stood there until I died. Yep I moved to a PvE realm eventually ofc.

Haha, its quite chickenish, aight?! But well, if I 'sometimes' was in a PvP mood, I went to AV or WSG :) had a lot of fun there back then! And ofc the legendary Astranaar vs Splintertree and Southshore vs Tarren Mill action was superfun, so not disliking (world)PvP itself.

I feel I can also experience the world and content much better, without thinking about no-go zones like STV and Blackrock Mountain was on my realm for Alliance players due to the horde dominated server (like 70-30). Weird how not getting killed involuntarily makes such a huge difference... Atleast for me :D Greater gaming experience for sure!

Though, I gotta say I absolutely enjoyed killing Chinese hunter bots in azshara and felwood on a PvP server. Killing their pets repeatedly. I even once kited a Tauren Hunter botter from Felwood to Auberdine(Darkshore). Might have been a surprise for that individual when returning back to computer! Well, I guess thats my kind of PvP. An opponent that doesnt fight back. Atleast not properly, even I could defeat bots!

... Thank god for a PvE server possibility ;D

1 hour ago, thimoe said:

Though, I gotta say I absolutely enjoyed killing Chinese hunter bots in azshara and felwood on a PvP server. Killing their pets repeatedly. I even once kited a Tauren Hunter botter from Felwood to Auberdine(Darkshore). Might have been a surprise for that individual when returning back to computer! Well, I guess thats my kind of PvP. An opponent that doesnt fight back. Atleast not properly, even I could defeat bots!

We used to kill them on live on our PvE realm. The ones in Burning Steppes would feel the wrath of Volchan. We even found one flagged and I MC'd it into Blackrock lava. Took a while but was fun. Also made farming a bit easier since you could just tag and let the bot kill it :P

There is nothing special about them, just a lot of people who don't like pvp, or at least wpvp. The problem I feel is that they aren't super popular and so you end up with a small community.  Even Nostalrius who had over 8k players on daily could hardly break 2k EU time and less then 1k NA time for their pve server. If the servers turn out to be great then maybe even the pve server will be populated enough.

13 minutes ago, Kel said:

There is nothing specialarrow-10x10.png about them, just a lot of people who don't like pvp, or at least wpvp. The problem I feel is that they aren't super popular and so you end up with a small community.  Even Nostalrius who had over 8k players on daily could hardly break 2k EU time and less then 1k NA time for their pve server. If the servers turn out to be great then maybe even the pve server will be populated enough.

At the time of the Nostalrius shutdown, the PVE server had over 4K active players online at prime time, which is a lot more than the retail vanilla server cap. so talking about a small community is not really the case in this situation.

Edited by Jadyn

2 hours ago, Jadyn said:

At the time of the Nostalrius shutdown, the PVE server had over 4K active players online.

I just looked up some numbers, never played a pve server even on retail. 

Nothing special about it, it lacks a part of the game. People talking about maturity... so you get butt hurt when ganked, and, gives up, moving to a server where that doesnt happen.. very mature.. This reminds me that experiment with monkeys when they prefer NOT to lose, than gain something, even when the final result is the same.
"A rational monkey would not have cared, but these irrational monkeys suffered from what psychologists call loss aversion. They behaved as if the pain of losing a grape was greater than the pleasure of gaining one. "

3 hours ago, Kel said:

There is nothing special about them, just a lot of people who don't like pvp, or at least wpvp. The problem I feel is that they aren't super popular and so you end up with a small community.  Even Nostalrius who had over 8k players on daily could hardly break 2k EU time and less then 1k NA time for their pve server. If the servers turn out to be great then maybe even the pve server will be populated enough.

55 minutes ago, Kamus said:

Nothing special about it, it lacks a part of the game. People talking about maturity... so you get butt hurt when ganked, and, gives up, moving to a server where that doesnt happen.. very mature.. This reminds me that experiment with monkeys when they prefer NOT to lose, than gain something, even when the final result is the same.
"A rational monkey would not have cared, but these irrational monkeys suffered from what psychologists call loss aversion. They behaved as if the pain of losing a grape was greater than the pleasure of gaining one. "

This isn't ALWAYS true. I absolutely LOVE WPvP, and I know of quite a few others that love it as well that are rolling on the PvE server. I actually ENCOURAGED ganking. Killing lowbies is what sparked the infamous Southshore, Tarren Mill, and Astranaar wars. The main issue for a lot of us is time constraints.

If I had more time to play, I would go with the PvP server without even thinking to be perfectly honest. While working 40 hours a week, working through grad school, and giving time to my fiancé and family, I just simply don't have the time to take part in contesting leveling or farming areas.

Some of my fondest memories of WoW, in every iteration, is turning a 1v1 into a 20v20, or more, over a simple herb node or questing area. Sadly, these "contentions" take A LOT of time. At max level raiding is going to take up most of my playtime. The little bit I have left will be used for farming raid mats and general guild maintenance and administrative work.

As for @Kamus's "maturity" remark, you are taking the feelings and opinions of PvEers out of context. When they say the audience is more "mature," this is simply due to the age and mindset of people. There are factually, every time, on every private server scene, a large percentage of young players (under 21) on PvP servers. This is due to many different aspects. It could be time, it could be their hormones changing causing them to crave competition (16-18 and 18-21 have growth in men specifically, which is a good thing), it could be simply anxiety or stress related, and sure, some may even be because they can't handle failing or losing. If we want to really talk "maturity," then the mature thing would be to really analyze every angle rather than resorting to comparing an entire portion of the playerbase to "monkeys".

Saying that having PvP as an optional flag takes part of the game away, well in the design philosophy of Blizzard, and the decisions they made, that is quite literally false. Doing something differently than someone else does not make that action wrong or incorrect. It simply means, as people, we are unique and different. We crave different things, we have different passions. Embrace the community's uniqueness, and become content that Crestfall is catering to all of us, bringing us together as Vanilla WoW fans.

I swear to Sargeras, if another thread devolves into the petty PvP vs PvE insult match...

There is literally nothing special about PvE servers. It's all a matter of play-style preference. Pick a realm and have fun and try not to turn into a dickwad about how others "should play the game". End of story. 

44 minutes ago, Knetik said:

This isn't ALWAYS true. I absolutely LOVE WPvP, and I know of quite a few others that love it as well that are rolling on the PvE server. I actually ENCOURAGED ganking. Killing lowbies is what sparked the infamous Southshore, Tarren Mill, and Astranaar wars. The main issue for a lot of us is time constraints.

If I had more time to play, I would go with the PvP server without even thinking to be perfectly honest. While working 40 hours a week, working through grad school, and giving time to my fiancé and family, I just simply don't have the time to take part in contesting leveling or farming areas.

Some of my fondest memories of WoW, in every iteration, is turning a 1v1 into a 20v20, or more, over a simple herb node or questing area. Sadly, these "contentions" take A LOT of time. At max level raiding is going to take up most of my playtime. The little bit I have left will be used for farming raid mats and general guild maintenance and administrative work.

As for @Kamus's "maturity" remark, you are taking the feelings and opinions of PvEers out of context. When they say the audience is more "mature," this is simply due to the age and mindset of people. There are factually, every time, on every private server scene, a large percentage of young players (under 21) on PvP servers. This is due to many different aspects. It could be time, it could be their hormones changing causing them to crave competition (16-18 and 18-21 have growth in men specifically, which is a good thing), it could be simply anxiety or stress related, and sure, some may even be because they can't handle failing or losing. If we want to really talk "maturity," then the mature thing would be to really analyze every angle rather than resorting to comparing an entire portion of the playerbase to "monkeys".

Saying that having PvP as an optional flag takes part of the game away, well in the design philosophy of Blizzard, and the decisions they made, that is quite literally false. Doing something differently than someone else does not make that action wrong or incorrect. It simply means, as people, we are unique and different. We crave different things, we have different passions. Embrace the community's uniqueness, and become content that Crestfall is catering to all of us, bringing us together as Vanilla WoW fans.

Funny how you remember of WPvP as ganking and killing lowbies 9_9. First, read "part of the game" as "NOT a waste of time" or "NOT a bad thing", and come on, flagging is nowhere close to a permanent sense danger. Is like comparing vanilla leveling with retail leveling, we say "meh, heirlooms", blizz fanboys says "You dont need to use it". If you dont like pvp or you are following your friends im okey with that, but some people in PvE threads keep saying they like pvp but are joining PvE for whatever else reasons, and that puts them in the "loss aversion" category, imo. Second, if you dont have time to play you will be always behind those with +6h/day, be it in PvE or in PvP realms, so is the same thing in the end. From my understanding you NEED to achiev something ASAP, and PvE provides that, well, faster than PvP realms, am i correct? If yes, you are sacrificing a game feature (and you "absolutely love ganking and killing lowbies"!) for, lets say, raiding (asap!). This kind of logic made WoW what it is today. "Blizz i have no time to play, i love leveling, but i prefer raiding, plz give me lvl cap in 3 days".
Im not saying PvE shouldnt exist, but the reasons from these folks here for choosing PvE over PvP are making me sad, and, please dont post "factual" statistics w/o a source, because im 99% sure that 89,46% of pservers population have more than 21 years. Source: my cat.

6 minutes ago, Kamus said:

Funny how you remember of WPvP as ganking and killing lowbies 9_9. First, read "part of the game" as "NOT a waste of time" or "NOT a bad thing", and come on, flagging is nowhere close to a permanent sense danger. Is like comparing vanilla leveling with retail leveling, we say "meh, heirlooms", blizz fanboys says "You dont need to use it". If you dont like pvp or you are following your friends im okey with that, but some people in PvE threads keep saying they like pvp but are joining PvE for whatever else reasons, and that puts them in the "loss aversion" category, imo. Second, if you dont have time to play you will be always behind those with +6h/day, be it in PvE or in PvP realms, so is the same thing in the end. From my understanding you NEED to achiev something ASAP, and PvE provides that, well, faster than PvP realms, am i correct? If yes, you are sacrificing a game feature (and you "absolutely love ganking and killing lowbies"!) for, lets say, raiding (asap!). This kind of logic made WoW what it is today. "Blizz i have no time to play, i love leveling, but i prefer raiding, plz give me lvl cap in 3 days".
Im not saying PvE shouldnt exist, but the reasons from these folks here for choosing PvE over PvP are making me sad, and, please dont post "factual" statistics w/o a source, because im 99% sure that 89,46% of pservers population have more than 21 years. Source: my cat.

Honestly, I had a hard time understanding all of that. Probably a combination of being exhausted from work and quick typing and lack of topic separation on your part. :P

I can see we obviously disagree on many points; however, I do agree that there are SOME on PvE servers that give poor reasoning for it, which I alluded to in my previous post. Though, it is still their playstyle regardless, even if it IS something ignorant. 

As for your comments on time; it really has nothing to do with rushing to get everything done on a macro scale. It is more about having time to complete a raid and have the time to farm sufficiently for it within a given time, and doing all this without gaining aggro from families/work/classes. If I have 6 hours to play on a said raid night and the scheduled raid will take 4 hours, then it is safe to say I have 2 hours left of playtime. If I factor in guild and raid preparation, invites, and buffing, the time decreases to about an hour. If I need to get something done quickly before raid and the opposing faction is currently blockading me, I have no way to get what I need other than putting in more time, which is not possible.

Also, you are quoting a lot my "phrases" as absolutes and in some instances, out of context or using false equivalencies, so I really have no reason to address those arguments at this time. I also have no desire to address sarcasm and passive aggressive comments.

I need to give a shout out to some of you PvP'ers (PvP'ers, PvP'rs or PvP's?). Some of you are masters of your craft. Walk on into any enviornment, throw a couple taunts around. Fish from our side of the water start biting. Some from your side join in...

BAM!

A group of people from one side/faction start going at it with a group of those from another side/faction. Well done!

Because you all got what you want, and are so good at what you do, it appears I'm going to get what I want. Thank you. 

On 22. 10. 2016 at 10:11 PM, Avila said:

PvP servers tend to foster a "Us vs Them" mindset

I have advanced to "me vs. everyone else, oh, look, a Horde, maybe it is going to kill the annoying elf that has been stealing my herbs for the last 30 minutes".

In other words, sometimes I wish we could kill members of our own faction.

13 hours ago, Kamus said:

Yeah when I put my hand in the fire, I don't like it therefore choose not to do it. So mature right? :P

I play fps to pvp, I play WoW to raid and fish. There is no grape in that scenario.

PvE... Ho, plz. A buncha moon-faced willows tying their labia together and jumping rope with them. 

I for one appreciate the non-ending efforts by our PvP colleagues to bolster community spirit in Zul'Dare and drive as many neutrals as possible to seek refuge here.

Keep up the good work fellas. While the trolling is of a very poor standard indeed, it's probably the best you can manage until the professionals arrive.

39 minutes ago, Bluemoon said:

PvE... Ho, plz. A buncha moon-faced willows tying their labia together and jumping rope with them. 

Someone's jelly. I'm off to commune with the goddess in the woodlands with my cup of herbal tea.

2 hours ago, Outstanding said:

I for one appreciate the non-ending efforts by our PvP colleagues to bolster community spirit in Zul'Dare and drive as many neutrals as possible to seek refuge here.

Keep up the good work fellas. While the trolling is of a very poor standard indeed, it's probably the best you can manage until the professionals arrive.

We'll gladly assist the PvE efforts in calling your followers home, Shepard. No room for sheep amongst us rams.

20 minutes ago, Bluemoon said:

We'll gladly assist the PvE efforts in calling your followers home, Shepard. No room for sheep amongst us rams.

Correct. Seeing as there will only be young rams on your realm, it'll be interesting to see how you procreate. 

5 minutes ago, Outstanding said:

Correct. Seeing as there will only be young rams on your realm, it'll be interesting to see how you procreate. 

Blueballs seems like a more appropriate name.

See we're glad to assist too.

19 minutes ago, Bluemoon said:

Image result for retarded ram 

dey hate us cuz they anus

Ahem... now seriously.

I'll just assume this one and your previous post are jokes. I'd imagen you'd be a little more... "off" if you were serious about the whole thing. Afterall, I've never seen a decent person bashing the other realm simply because they don't like it. Not anyone that can put together a sentence as well as you, anyway. My advice is to add a little "jk" at the end of these (assumed) joke posts in order to avoid getting mixed up with the "special" crowd. Y'know, the ones that -for whatever reason- feel the need to constantly go and bash people with different opinions? Yes, those people. Who in his or her right mind would want to get mixed up with that? Nobody with all their screws in place, as far as I can tell.