Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Lilaina

So what's so special about PvE Realms?

91 posts in this topic

So what's so special about PvE realms?

Well...we now officially have more posts in the PvE forum than the PvP forum. :P

20 minutes ago, Momonn said:

Well...we now officially have more posts in the PvE forum than the PvP forum. :P

I noticed that! Glorious day! :D

34 minutes ago, Momonn said:

We don't do corpse runs so we have more time to post :P 

The only reason I started playing wow is to see how the story continued after Warcraft 3 (regardless of how late I started) and constantly getting ganked is neither a part of it nor what I describe as fun. I like to read quest texts, get immersed in the world, enjoy the scenery and the music without anyone interrupting me. My kind of pvp, if you can call it that, is old, like really old. I'm talking about Quake 2, Half Life, Quake 3 etc. here. Skill, speed and knowing the map were what determined the outcome and I enjoyed it quite a lot. In WoW though, you have to invest a big chunk of your time to learn each class' strengths and weaknesses against your own, grind your arse to get pvp gear, get addons, make macros and so on... Not really my style. When I have that much time, I use it to prepare for raids, study boss encounters, save gold and so on.

I did have some pvp experince in wow though. In wotlk for example, I headed to Wintergrasp to do the fishing daily. I was half way down catching all the terrorfish I needed for the quest when a hordie (I was ally) jumped on me from his flying mount and killed me in a few hits. Must be really satisfying; attacking an unsuspecting person on a pve server who's holding a fishing pole in his hand.

In WoD, my guild moved to a PvP server and asked me to join them. Despite my better judgement, I agreed to move there as well. One day, I was about to boost a low level guildie in his Amphitheater of Anguish quests in Northrend. There were some low lvl hordies there when we arrived, doing the same quest. I could've simply one shot the guy, clearing the way for us but instead, I waited for him to finish his quests (and he knew I was standing there). I even killed a boss when I saw he wasn't gonna make it. Here comes the fun part though, when that guy was done and our guildie started the quest chain, that orc brought some of his pvper friends and killed us all. Yeah, I know, serves me right for helping the stinking horde. But the question is: Why do people act like that? Curious...
I think the answer is "Because they can".

Being a safe haven against such guys is what makes PvE servers so special for me.

17 hours ago, Quantus said:

My kind of pvp, if you can call it that, is old, like really old. I'm talking about Quake 2, Half Life, Quake 3 etc. here. Skill, speed and knowing the map were what determined the outcome and I enjoyed it quite a lot.

I played a half life mod called TFC at a pretty high level. It was my first game that I played competitive online and I got hooked to the feeling. But the time investment was pretty excessive to play at such level.

For me it's really got nothing to do with community, I've always found same-faction griefers far worse due to not being killable. Thankfully the long leveling process weeds most of them out over time, as if by natural selection. Reputation management becomes important at 60 if the community is vigilant.

wPvPers don't go away however, and this is the problem with it - two classes have the ability to choose who and when to fight and every other class does not. For rogues and druids, it's almost like every server is a PVE server when they want it to be, a fact which really lays bare the hypocrisy in the negative attitude towards PvE supporters. Not so much in battlegrounds or duels, but in the chaotic nature of world PvP it's a glaring imbalance, whether they want to admit it or not. Yes, you can fight your way out of ganks, but that depends on the overconfidence of the ganker rather than your relative skill or stat levels, because no one's forcing them to fight hard targets in the first place.

Edited by Oceliene
grammar

Tend to have a more mature community, world PVP in Vanilla "sucked" (or well died) once the BG patched released but prior to that it was just as a live (if not more) on PVE realms than PVP realms since the TM-SS raids were running 24/7 whilst the honor grind was on.

When people talk about "Word PVP" quite often they talk about ganking and griefing rather than large raids which can happen on any server.

I much rather have the ability to chose when I want to PVP and know that the people who participate in it from the opposing faction are also there willingly than be able to gank unsuspected targets (I played Rogue nearly exclusively on Vanilla with the exception of 1 mandatory level 60 healer, and 1 level 20~ warlock for summoning that my guild had as a rule) and always played on both US and EU PVE realms and never felt any downside to it.

I've played in later patches on a few PVP realms and with the exception of some little ganking  didn't really notice anything amazing about it, and sure you might say WOTLK/BC isn't vanilla but the population was higher back then and even with flying there was still the random ganking especially early on.

PVE works just fine, on raid nights in BRM there would always be those who flag them selves for some fun and you'll get to MC some one into the lava; but you also won't have to cry the moment you ding 30 and go into STV.

And one of the most fun things is that you can easily go and duel the opposing faction outside of IF, SW or OG, dual box or ask some one to log into a low level alt of the opposing faction and you can even chat.

It's a pretty nice experience.

Overall the community can usually just be better, and PVE offers more ways to communicate and cooperate with the opposing faction, sure it might be the rose tinted glasses of playing WoW 13 years ago and having realm forums with close to 50 new daily posts, and a booming real IRC channel but I have hope that at least being on a PVE realm would bring out more people who want to communicate and less of the /ambush / vanish /cheapshot /prep /vanish /ambush /spit kind....

For me it all boils down to three things. The goals I have set for that day, the ability to get them done in a fairly timely manner, and that I don't like PvP in WoW.

I don't really consider myself as having limited time, so that's not really the problem. I just want to be able to get what I want to do done so I can go on to the next thing I want to get done, and on until I need to stop for the day. WoW is a grindy game, FFXI is a grindy game, FFXIV is a grindy game. Having played all three I've come to appreciate being able to get any one goal done in a reasonable amount of time. Getting interrupted by some bored guy before I make it from the Elwynn Forest zoneline to Lakesire isn't helping my time spent ratio any, especially considering ghost speed isn't increased. 

Getting interrupted by a quest that I ran past that I didn't know was there or a gathering node that I need is a good kind of getting distracted because these are things I need anyway, but getting ganked is absolutely nothing but slowing me down. I'm under no delusions that I'm going to be the first level 60 on the server, I have no goals to be, but that doesn't mean there's time for dilly-dallying. The more I get done the better.

That being said, I do have some morbid curiosity for the original AV. While I don't have a slated date for it, I do want to spend a day in AV at least once.

To be honest i have allways been on a pvp realm back in the day starting from vanilla till Warlords of Draenor.

With the launch of Draenor and the catastrophe around it, we were forced to guild server change on the double. We started at Sylvanas eu (pvp) and we tranfered to Nordrassil eu (pve).

Some conclusions i can make out of 11 years of playtime on Retail (of which 95% on the pvp realm).

-People on pvp realms are generally focused on quick results. How to get that conclusion? i've been in a couple of guilds there, it was the same in any ony of them and word spreads quick when a server is just up and running. People were on this constant promotional drive. Wanting to get raids done quicker and after epics. If neither of the 2, they mostly go for arena's and bg's and there isn't a decent conversation to be held with these sort of people, simply because they don't care what you have to say. 

-For most of the time if the trade channel wasn't smashed with gold sellers, you would see nothing else than people selling they're ridiculously overpriced crap or guild recruitments. Not much idle talk going on. How this is? Well for some reason i guess.. the majority of these pvp servers don't seem to intend on chatter? i have no valid answer for that myselve? too busy to do anything else maybe?

-When we transfered, it would appear that the population was lower, but that gave oppertunity to do quest chains without spawn locations completely dominated by others.

-People are more easy going on PvE servers, more people there are either casual or semi-hardcore. Not a whole lot of elite pve guilds that are quick with downing raids. (i say mostly, exceptions be told)

My own short conclusion out of these small conclusions (lot of concluding there Azu)

It would appear that the people on pvp servers are a bit more self intend. they want progression and they want it fast. Thereas the pve realms seem to harbor more gentle/laid back people that actually want to enjoy more than just quick epics.

(a bit too short on the details i guess but this was my personal experience)

23 hours ago, Evalura said:

the pve realms seem to harbor more gentle people

We are soft and cuddly.

6 hours ago, ilovecats said:

We are soft and cuddly.

Except when we enter in prowl mode. *pur pur*

For me, it's the community. I notice PVE server players tend to be a lot friendlier. Also, I have no interest in ganking people or being ganked. I play WoW to relax and tackle raids/dungeons with friends.

Edited by Jon

I fail to see the appeal myself, I enjoy all aspects of the game so that's like playing only half of it to me.

Edited by Terpsichore

For me the appeal of PVE servers comes from the fact that you get to choose when to PVP. Basically you get the best of both worlds.

My initial WoW experience on retail was on PVP servers, as that was where my friends were playing. I did experience some Tarren Mill vs. Southshore raids and gankfests in STV.

Most of the time when world PVP happened, it was either a group of similar level enemies attacking you when you were alone, or some max level toon just being a good sport and oneshotting you while questing. Or someone pouncing on you when you had a bad pull and were coping multiple mobs. I wouldn't even classify any of that as real PVP.

It just gets quite old quite fast. It's not a matter of challenge. Just a hindrance. And then either you or the ganker has more patience/time to lose, and you get back to leveling or log off.

I remember on one private server, people were constantly bitching and moaning how there is no PVP at max level. No one on opposing faction queuing for arenas or battlegrounds. Granted, the other faction was much smaller too, so it is understandable. Then Nostalrius fell, and there was an influx of new players, and the server provided instant lvl58 promotion event. It was a TBC server, btw. And what happened? All the PVP heroes descended on the fresh opposing faction players on Hellfire Peninsula, for hours upon hours. And that resulted in people ditching the server in droves. And thus the PVP heroes prevented people from leveling and getting to max level and into instanced PVP, and more complaining ensued.