Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darkrasp

Darkrasp's Update 10/17/2016

80 posts in this topic

Great update as usual :)

"..which typically means pets and pathfinding are getting a lot of attention".

Not up there with the heady Ragnaros mechanics, but does this mean that when running parallel to a fence (in Wetlands for example) pets will hop up and run along the top of the fence as they did in retail? I know, I'm sad, but it's one of the little touches that hooked me. As far as I am aware (cue replies to the contrary) other pservers either make the pet go around the fence or bug.

Good luck Friday.

Another great update !

Glad to see we will get a blizzlike Ragnaros, for some reason i always thought Ragnaros was too easy on other projects
Hopefully it won't be as easy here and people will actually have to work for Fire Resist gear like they did in Retail instead of only tanks gearing for fire resist like people do in most private servers.

Edit: Ok I'm a spaz and should have read it was solved.

Edited by DeeMarie

Thanks again for the incredibly informative update! Hope  your tooth problem gets sorted out after the root canal.

These updates keep getting me more and more excited for crestfall :)

1 hour ago, Bobthebomb said:

Great update as usual :)

"..which typically means pets and pathfinding are getting a lot of attention".

Not up there with the heady Ragnaros mechanics, but does this mean that when running parallel to a fence (in Wetlands for example) pets will hop up and run along the top of the fence as they did in retail? I know, I'm sad, but it's one of the little touches that hooked me. As far as I am aware (cue replies to the contrary) other pservers either make the pet go around the fence or bug.

Good luck Friday.

Pets should run over the fence like on retail.

@Asura could talk about it more since he was working on pet pathing.

5 hours ago, Lilaina said:

You guys really do seem to know what you're doing and make it all sound easy. How come other pservers don't get these things right?

Apparently they are "lazy" :P I dont know. The Crestfall team sure does radiate with extreme confidence. Which is great! The thing is though that when they keep saying things are so easy to do and how much they care for this, they are at the same time raising the bar of expectation alot, so the server must be really good when its released or this will backlash immensely. Im not complaining though. I love their transparency and communication. Its just that, no matter how much we believe in them, thus far we have not much actual proof but alot of pretty big words. (again im not complaining about this, just cautious)

20 minutes ago, imbaslap said:

Pets should run over the fence like on retail.

@Asura could talk about it more since he was working on pet pathing.

Thats interesting. Seeing as this other server boasts that they have this "fixed", and Dodgykeebab seem to always mention this as a sign of quality pathing when they run around the fence instead of over it :D  Personally I like the fence trick, but if it isnt blizzlike then it isnt, not that bigga deal

Edited by Sakritan

Thanks for the update. Was interesting for me to get this sneak peek in Ragnaros fight mechanics :D

8 hours ago, Lilaina said:

How come other pservers don't get these things right?

This is baffling to me as well. You guys make it sound so easy. It's not like Nost and others weren't trying. Do you just have better sources somehow? Clearer memories?

14 minutes ago, Krueger said:

This is baffling to me as well. You guys make it sound so easy. It's not like Nost and others weren't trying. Do you just have better sources somehow? Clearer memories?

They don't listen to the community for one. The community was already aware that Kronos, Nostalrius, etc had it wrong and pointed the flaws out. But in the end they didn't put in the effort to get it right.

Crestfall on the other hand has been doing their research through various means. For example: there are multiple threads out there where you can help developers 'get it right' by providing sources.

Edited by RipTonight

To be fair, pservers take their information off sites like wowhead, using Wayback Machine etc The mechanic Darkrasp was looking for isn't even listed on there, so it takes some videos or community memories to say 'ok there was a knockback that isn't listed and it worked like this'.

Part of Nostalrius' success in terms of 1.4 itemisation was the work the community did for them pre-release and the fact the devs took it onboard and worked it into the server database.

CF seems like it has best of both worlds atm; dedicated devs and good researchers :)

5 hours ago, Cthun said:

@Darkrasp Screw MC, when will you notice me Senpai?

Eh? We've already created a topic in your name O Great One. Although obviously your infallible powers of all-seeing knowledge are currently on the blink (so to speak).

Edited by Outstanding

17 minutes ago, Asura said:

When you see us "boasting", it's not necessarily because we think we're "amazing". It's because we know half these fixes require no effort and yet people praise them like it's a huge thing. Software development is not just a hobby for me. It's what I do for a living, and I can legitimately tell you that emulation is much easier than what I'm used to doing everyday. Sure, some of the reverse engineering takes a bit more effort, or spending time writing a system from scratch, but most fixes are easy. 

Whether it's easy or hard, I think we're all grateful you're making effort in the first place :)

Regardless the work being easy or not for you, i think the server still looks very promising and i'm really grateful for that.

4 hours ago, Asura said:

This is why to an extent I dislike reviwers like Dodgy. I know he means well, but he has no idea about what work is required. Do you know how to make mobs run around fences(Despite it being unblizzlike)? Here you go. It requires ZERO code changes. It's literally switches on movemap generator, and has been there for years. - https://github.com/raczman/TrinityCore/commit/9eeb7c699dabece09851056d64d4601a73042f24 and https://github.com/TrinityCore/TrinityCore/issues/15656

OH MY GOD ITS SUCH A HIGH QUALITY FIX. /sarcasm. 

When you see us "boasting", it's not necessarily because we think we're "amazing". It's because we know half these fixes require no effort and yet people praise them like it's a huge thing. Software development is not just a hobby for me. It's what I do for a living, and I can legitimately tell you that emulation is much easier than what I'm used to doing everyday. Sure, some of the reverse engineering takes a bit more effort, or spending time writing a system from scratch, but most fixes are easy. 

Wow! You guys are amazing! I can barely wait to see this project; I'm tired of mangos emulation and really want to see what you guys worked on!

On 18.10.2016 at 10:52 AM, Lilaina said:

You guys really do seem to know what you're doing and make it all sound easy. How come other pservers don't get these things right?

Because it's not easy.

So much Bragging going around here I'm surprised no real announcements have been made. I've learn something from closely watching corecraft and other similar projects, they all have one thing in common, lots of hype and developers brag how great the server will be. However, they never set deadlines or are constantly being set back if they do. So far crestfall sounds great but without any definite dates for goals to be met, it's just another corecraft. Once we actually see dates for beta and soon after release then we can actually start getting excited, but until then don't keep your hopes up. Project like these can change in a dime and without actually telling the community the truth, will continue to mislead you, like corecraft.

If emulation of private servers where so easy, as one of the developers have put it here, then I'm surprised we don't see more great servers or any for that matter. Also surprised the project has taken so long with some of the announcements I've read. The hole project sounds like a joke (in the sense that it's easy) yet they really don't have anything to show for it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a nost fanboy and every other server after that has been complete shit(even nost wasn't perfect). I can't really be optimistic about a project that has nothing but developers showing off what it could be without anything to show for. Honestly from what I've seen, it sounds a lot like the immaturity and lies I saw with Playtbc.

I'm trying my hardest not to bash but realistically there is nothing here but words. Hopefully I'm wrong but until then don't hold your breath for crestfall.

7 minutes ago, Kel said:

I'm trying my hardest not to bash but realistically there is nothing here but words. Hopefully I'm wrong but until then don't hold your breath for crestfall.

Thanks mum.

Easy =/= time consuming, just putting that out there.

Easy in this case translates to "I know how to do this" not "I twinkle my nose and it's done".

3 minutes ago, Roadblock said:

Thanks mum.

Easy =/= time consuming, just putting that out there.

Easy in this case translates to "I know how to do this" not "I twinkle my nose and it's done".

The real point I was trying to convey to everyone was that projects with no deadlines sometimes never get done. They are a group of volunteers who come and go as they please. One week you could get work done, the next few weeks to a month nothing significant could get done. It's a trend I see on many private servers not just in wow where the project just drags along. Sometimes the person running the show is never content and that also causes even more delay.

It just sounds a bit ambitious as I've been in the private server scene for many years and with no real deadlines who knows when if ever the server will release.