Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darkrasp

Darkrasp's Update 10/17/2016

80 posts in this topic
22 hours ago, Cthun said:

Where I come from, that's an opinion we call "politically correct". 

Personally, my own wellbeing and dose of Vanilla goes before caring about other peoples lives. What's important for this project to succeed is that they release it and it's not the dogshit stock mangos going around most private servers.

When is beta?

such is life !

On 10/17/2016 at 8:51 PM, Darkrasp said:

- Wrath of Ragnaros.  This one is the PBAOE knockback that he uses on melee.  Nothing super fancy about this other than that the timer is supposed to be 25 seconds and a few private realms have it at 30.  We're thinking about randomizing that a little bit.  We'll see.

It's supposed to be 30 seconds, this is easy to verify with any video (just look for TASTE THE FLAMES OF SULFURON text) or by looking at vanilla raid boss addons. Obviously you intend to change this anyways, but the point of this post is to serve as a reminder: don't take wowwiki as gospel, it's really bad in vanilla and almost useless for anything after T2.

On 10/17/2016 at 8:51 PM, Darkrasp said:

- Lava Burst Randomzer.  This is also a dummy effect.  Here's one literally no servers get right.  Much like the Sons of Flame, this is a dummy effect, calling a server side script which semi-randomly selects one of eight spells.  Each of those spells summons a gameobject at a specific xyz coordiate with a 3 second duration.  The gameobjects are invisible, and the gameobjects themselves cast a spell called "Lava Burst", dealing about 1k fire damage to everything with 35 yards, every second for their duration (so, three times total before they despawn).  The locations for these objects are spread all over the place so that they cover the entire combat area, and they are triggered quite frequently.  Players should be taking significantly more fire damage from this than from most other sources during the fight, unless they're tanking.  This ability working so poorly, if at all, is part of the reason Ragnaros is such a pushover on most private servers.  Fun side note: the gameobjects that get summoned are these guys.  Have fun with that, Combat Log parsers.

This mechanic is bizarre. I've seen the burst of 3x resist Lava Burst, but I've never actually seen anyone take multiple hits of Lava Burst. In this vid (https://youtu.be/zrzTPbbEPu4?t=2m14s), the tank resists 3x Lava Burst and takes a single tick of damage at 2:14. At 2:35 the tank resists 2x Lava Burst, but takes no damage. At 3:31, he resists a single tick and takes no damage. At 6:03 he resists two ticks and takes a single tick of damage. At 6:25 he takes one tick of damage and no resists.

All I can find are examples of players taking a single tick of damage, like this: https://youtu.be/n61G8w5DxPM?t=1m20s

Wrath of Ragnaros behaves similarly - the tank resists this 3x several times, but is only ever hit by it once. I will note here that most private servers haven't implemented stat based resist checks for binary spells like this properly, and if things were blizzlike the encounter would actually be easier in some respects because the tank would almost never get knocked back.

Edited by yoens

56 minutes ago, yoens said:

The Ragnaros gameobjects are only supposed to cast Lava Burst 1x before despawning, not 3x. See: https://youtu.be/n61G8w5DxPM

From watching other videos I saw it double/triple proc a bunch of times, which is largely where my information came from.  I suppose this could also be a result of either particularly bad RNG, or the players in question standing in an area where there are multiple, overlapping object radii.  In either case, it's quite obvious that if nothing else, the rate of the damage going out should be significantly higher than elsewhere (doubly so since we intend to enhance the boss' "Resist Wall" encounter type to account for the improved player talents).

In this one, you can see the AE knockback at 0:28, 1:00, 1:27, 1:55, 2:27, etc.  They're close to 30s, but there is some variance.  The ability is on a 25s cooldown but is used at random past that point.  Looks like around a 15% chance per half second attempt interval would give us a good range of values there.

There's a lava burst at 0:37, another at 0:39, another at 0:52, etc.  I suppose that proves it isn't a triple shot, so you're right about that, but it also shows that a player can be hit multiple times in a matter of just a couple seconds.  IMO the best way to model that is frequent casts with a semi-randomized location order, so while there is somewhat regular damage coming out on average, you have no way of knowing if it will be regular and predictable or bursty and dangerous.  The faster it comes out, the meaner it is.  We already know the cooldown can't be any higher than two or three seconds even on retail, the attempt chance and interval will need tuning to find a sweet spot between "requiring plenty of fire resist", "pushover" and "impossible".  I've got a pretty good idea what I want to do with it, but I'll leave the tuning for beta.

Thanks for the input and helping clear that up.

Ok, I think I'm starting to build a better picture of how this works. At https://youtu.be/i4vhj2BIIys?t=5m41s you can actually see the double Lava Burst go off as a staggered 2 second burst, one on the inner lava ring and one on the outer lava ring of the arena. Perhaps once Lava Burst is cast and a random gameobject is chosen it also activates an adjacent gameobject? I still find it strange that you see the tank resisting a burst of 3x ticks in the same second, or why Wrath of Ragnaros behaves in the same way.

Edited by yoens