Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ilovecats

You and your pet - how do you choose it?

How do you choose your pet?   50 members have voted

1. 1. How do you choose your pet?

• I only care about min-maxing, regardless of the species and looks
    • I pick my favourite look from the most optimal species
    • I don't care about min-maxing, I pick the pet I like the most, regardless of anything
    • My favourite pet is luckily the optimal choice

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I thought of posting this simple poll to find out how do players pick their pets.

I know that some only look at dps and treat the pet more like a tool, while the others (like me) love certain species and will stick to them regardless of anything. Luckily my favourite species are cats and they provide decent damage, so I'm not as terrible as it may seem  : D  Fisherpeople can be dangerous too.

Feel free to comment, discuss and share your favourite pets and where to get them (if you don't mind telling your secrets of course). Maybe you have some touching old tales of friendship and magic and...

Edited by ilovecats

My favorite pet in TBC (not sure about Vanilla) were the plagued boars from Eastern Plaguelands...they can hold aggro pretty well and can take a few whallops. I also think they're strangely adorable <3 ehehe

My favourite pet is obviously the lovely lavender tiger from Winterspring. So cute.

My favorites are Humar the Pridelord and a plain black boar (durotar, or Grunter...later).

I usually level up with one of these, but I would also tame Lupos (shadow damage FTW) or Broken Tooth (1.0s AS).

If screech will be fixed, I may tame a bird, for AoE threat (with no CD!)...makes levelling much easier.

Different pets for different purposes is kinda mandatory for vanilla....while with TBC you can go pretty much with whatever you want, although ravagers/cats are usually preferred cause more DPS.

I like to level with a fat hog. The charge is nice, and it'll eat anything in front of it. But sometimes bullets go missing.
In BGs I like having a Wind Serpent. But a few others, such as cat, aren't bad either.

Another good leveling choice is Scorpid. This thing has high DPS+armor, with an armor ignoring poison. But because of its high energy use, combined with no sprint, you need BM talents for this pet type. Pets with bite do not need the energy, and pets with a sprint don't need the swiftness, making them more ideal for other builds.

In dungeons/raids you obviously want a wolf, and there's not much reason to use anything else. This means wolf is the staple pet at 60. You can easily skip one while leveling, but eventually, you need to get one. If you don't own one at 60, you're doing it wrong. I like to get mine at 50 because this is when you can get my favorite model, the infected Felwood wolves. I can then take it to 60 with me, rather than backtrack the levels later. Alternately, you could just keep the LBRS wolf, which you have to tame anyway for howl, if you don't care about its model.

1.12 got rid of the pursuit speed, so all pets move the same.  Lupos and that 100 resistance pet also got nerfed iirc.

On Nost I decided to have a bear for levelling (due to the health and better aggro than most tanky pets) and sort out raid pets later (probably a wolf, which I need from LBRS anyway). Will probably do the same again, as I didn't finish what I started.

Honestly it's probably because of the original vanilla trailer with the dwarf hunter and his bear, but I love bear pets.  I'll probably level with a bear until a gorilla and use those for soloing stuff (they can be pretty tanky which is nice) but I'll have a tiger on the side for dps in dungeons.  Then when I hit 60 I'll tame the wolf with furious howl for raiding (because I'm such a team player) then I'll go for a tiger with probably 1.4 attack speed unless I happen upon brokentooth for pvp.  Not gonna kill myself over perfecting a pet. I know pet handling can add that extra edge, so maybe this time around I'll put more time into it, but a lot of the online resources are so inaccurate, so I'll just have to wait and see until closer to release

At 60 I'll get the most optimal pets, but for leveling pretty much anything goes. I tend to hop around from pet to pet frequently as I like unusual and uncommon pets, cats and boars are too mainstream.

While leveling my hunter (only got to 38) on Kronos I went through the following pets:  

• Crocolisk (Durotar)
  • Serpent (WC)
  • Bear (Ashenvale)
  • Wind Serpent (1k Needles)
  • Carrion Bird (Salt Flats)
  • Gorilla (STV)

They all kept aggro, they all stayed alive and they all did comparable damage. So I really don't see the need to min max while leveling unless you are trying to get server firsts or something.

Edited by Pahu

interesting thread that I can appreciate, I have tried to level hunters several times and every time have given up I end up spending a huge amount of time taming pets and can never decide and stick with one. 

On 23/11/2016 at 8:16 PM, Aremdor said:

interesting thread that I can appreciate, I have tried to level hunters several times and every time have given up I end up spending a huge amount of time taming pets and can never decide and stick with one. 

I tend to go for the less common looks because common stuff is boooriiing.

As I am playing NE no matter what, my pet choice is always a cat with stealth so I can ambush filthy horde from shadows. Other than that, cats are also the best looking pets imho not to mention NE mounts are sabers so it goes well together :) In other words, ilovecats...

I'm still torn between a bear (better vs. reds) and a vulture (better vs. elites) for levelling with.  (raid pets can wait until LBRS)

2 hours ago, Momonn said:

I'm still torn between a bear (better vs. reds) and a vulture (better vs. elites) for levelling with.  (raid pets can wait until LBRS)

Well, if the devs implement the "Screech" skill like is was back in Vanilla aka "OP AoE Taunt without a CD", I will go for a vulture, no doubt about it.

The screeching sound and the flapping of the wings will annoy the hell out of the reds as well. Your mileage may vary ofc. 

Only ever used hunter as a farming alt, so wasn't bothered at all with min-maxing so looks all the way! And like you, @ilovecats, my pet of choice is luckily quite good anyway. I adore the adult moonstalkers in Darkshore; they're a little more black-and-white than the cats on Teldrassil. I've always used those cats, regardless of my faction choice, and I've named them after my own cat. 

Just now, Yavannie said:

Only ever used hunter as a farming alt, so wasn't bothered at all with min-maxing so looks all the way! And like you, @ilovecats, my pet of choice is luckily quite good anyway. I adore the adult moonstalkers in Darkshore; they're a little more black-and-white than the cats on Teldrassil. I've always used those cats, regardless of my faction choice, and I've named them after my own cat. 

Awww. Good to know there are other catpeople like me here  : D

2 hours ago, DeTosc said:

Well, if the devs implement the "Screech" skill like is was back in Vanilla aka "OP AoE Taunt without a CD", I will go for a vulture, no doubt about it.

The screeching sound and the flapping of the wings will annoy the hell out of the reds as well. Your mileage may vary ofc. 

Oops, I meant red mobs, not players ;)   (since screech is reliant on hitting the target to take effect, unlike a bear's extra health)

21 hours ago, Momonn said:

Oops, I meant red mobs, not players ;)   (since screech is reliant on hitting the target to take effect, unlike a bear's extra health)

But the bear's extra health is only useful as long as the bear manages to hold the aggro.

"Growl" has a CD, "Screech" has no CD, so a resisted "Growl" is an almost secure "aggro-lose", while with "Screech" the bird has a second chance to get the full attention of the mob back  again right after a resist.

Edited by DeTosc