Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Walgrave

Ironfoe

145 posts in this topic
18 minutes ago, wingpuller said:

Video doesn't show opening of door, so i will presume that it used same glitch which is used on pservers (placing key on actionbar and presing that bind repeatably while hovering over door).

At 2:30 you can see him BRIEFLY hover over the door and it turns into a cog icon, as in being able to interact with the door. Which means it either opens without a key (which is what I recall) or just with the shadowforge key.

On 2016-10-23 at 10:28 AM, Walgrave said:

Hello Devs & CFG community,

IF.PNG

Currently in most private servers, the strongest weapon for warriors is Ironfoe, especially for short encounters. The proc which scales with gear (and procs from other proccing items (HoJ) and Windfury), generates more rage, which generates more damage. It practically gives Fury Warriors infinite rage. Depending on the rage formula used here (long discussion can be found on Kronos Bug Tracker regarding Rage) Ironfoe can potentially be the strongest Tank Threat Per Second weapon on a single target, TF for AoE. Discussion I linked is basically Kronos using old videos to determine rage generation formula, esp. Rage from damage taken which is massively nerfed on that project compared to other previous projects. Lvl 63 boss swings gives tanks 1-3 rage most of the time. So tanks rely on stronger auto attacks for rage, leading to slower weapons and items/WF proccing swings to be even stronger for threat generation.  

Due to the above scaling traits of Ironfoe, it becomes an irreplaceable weapon, even for Horde characters that do not enjoy the Mace Specialization benefits of the Human racial skill. It is even harder for Human Warrs to replace. Items such as the Rank 14 1H, or even Ancient Qiraji Ripper from AQ40 are considered a downgrade to Ironfoe on the Main Hand slot. 

I would like to ask your take on this item. Should it be allowed to be this powerful? That is upto you guys to decide. I'd like to expand on the issue of how it effects the community.

• All Human Warriors with Ironfoe will not be replacing it, not until Naxxramas. Forcing them to grind out BRD for months, potentially, depending on the drop rate. Once they attain it, they will not have the satisfaction of gaining a more powerful Main Hand, the most power-influenced item slot for warriors for a long while. MC/BWL/AQ40 40-mans holds no replacement over this legendary BRD 5-man item. 
  • Warriors without Ironfoe can't compete with those that have it, therefore either always accepting to be of a lower-tier DPS to their Ironfoe-wielding compatriots. Perhaps effecting Loot Council item decisions based on performance (which is pretty common, to reward your best performing DPS). Or being forced to grind Ironfoe out to be competitive, perhaps burning out from the grind as you'll mostly pug it with a couple of guildies who would help you, at least until you reach 100 runs. There are people on Kro that claim to have done 500 runs without a drop. I know of a guild member who did 110 runs on Nostalrius for Ironfoe, finally getting it. He also did the Felstriker grind mind you, so perhaps he's just crazy. He did quit shortly after though.
  • Legendary item Sulfuras, holds no qualm to the might of Ironfoe for the Horde Warriors. For those that don't know, 2H Fury is a competitive option for Horde Warrs due to the rage generation from Windfury procs. Sulfuras is awesome, but it won't compete with Ironfoe, the one-hander.

Items proccing off of each other is also a related issue with Ironfoe. Namely Ironfoe, HoJ and WF combo. Each item proc proccing others including themselves in a chain proc session leading to insanely high damage and infinite rage as mentioned before. It is nearly impossible for any class or warriors themselves (without IF) to compete with such a combination of power proccing.

I'd like to suggest not allowing for such a powerful chain proc for the sake of balance. Additionally the sheer scaling power of the Ironfoe procs. 

-Walgrave

Ironfoe doesn't have the potential to be the strongest TPS weapon, it has never been close on any private server. Not even for Horde. It is waaaaay to slow. The extra hits won't even closely make up for the missed heroics. And yes, I run numbers on this on ED, Warsong and Nostalrius. I assume Kronos is similiar as it holds the same core.

The only server I saw Ironfoe being overtuned DPS wise was Feenix.

Anyways alot of your opinions that you pretty much state as facts in this threads. Opinion =/= fact, it's a decent question how they are gonna do weapon procs but it's also based on the premise that weapon procs will be broken, and if they are I'm pretty sure it would be hotfixed. So the topic is pretty much a discussion what should be done incase the proccing is broken.. which seems pretty obvious.

Edited by Cthun

4 BRD runs in an hour? Someone is going to have to describe to me exactly what a "Lava Run" is, and why it's broken.  BRD wasn't worth running for mages when I was playing retail.  I know a bunch of rogues in my guild used to do it all the time for a Shanker, but I only went all the way to Dagran two or three times to do quests so my familiarity with it is pretty low.   If it's a legit shortcut, then so be it, but if there is some shortcut which relies on exploitation, ie. Dire Maul (pathing exploits), Maraudon (reset inside instance), which is applicable to BRD, then it will be rectified.

@Walgrave I'm going to say again, that if a player gets a sub-1% drop, they concordantly outperform other people, and as a result your Loot Council seriously decides that now they are the only player worth giving gear to and kicks all the other warriors out of the raid, or melts gear in front of them, or whatever, then you need a new guild.  That's a joke.  I can only assume you are heavily exaggerating, or else are associating with a group of the most despicably anti-social type of people the internet dredges up.  Call that patronizing if you want.  (Edit:  I should clarify here, that giving loot priority only to people who are the top performers is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  How could anyone ever be expected to catch up when they are intentionally being held back by their own leadership?  Again, time for a guild change.  You don't want people like that running the show.)

@Drain  Yes, I know Hunters cannot use Maces, Priests/Druids shouldn't roll on what are clearly Melee weapons, etc.  I guess you've never done a pug and had a rare item drop before  :).  Or been in a pug with a hunter when literally anything drops at all (I lost out while levelling on retail to a hunter on Inventor's Focal Sword, fml).  When it comes to uber-rare items, my experience is that when they drop, the roll is going to be a crap shoot at best.  If you're in an all guild run, I suppose that's something different.  My experience was that it was tough to get guildmates to dedicate hours and hours to running an instance over and over with no loot of their own to be interested in, especially when they have their own gearing up to do.

Edited by Darkrasp

1 hour ago, wingpuller said:

Video doesn't show opening of door, so i will presume that it used same glitch which is used on pservers (placing key on actionbar and presing that bind repeatably while hovering over door).

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Blackrock_Depths_regions#The_lava_path: says that you need Shadowforge Key to continue through Lyceum, and that you can't turn back and do the 7. Seems fair enough.

20 minutes ago, Darkrasp said:

Someone is going to have to describe to me exactly what a "Lava Run" is, and why it's broken

The video that's been posted in this thread earlier is pretty much all there is to it. "15 minutes a run" is a gross exaggeration though, maybe unless we're talking a really geared party with a really good knowledge of the route.

Lava runs aren't broken, as many posters have stated. Based on recent pserver experience, most parties that advertise for lava runs will do so with "Ironfoe on res" or "HoJ res" to make it clear from the start that those items won't be an open roll. This is usually accomplished by switching to Master Looter for that final fight to prevent the hunter ninjas. Emp runs in 15minutes are rare, but plenty of folks in my guild on Nost would do 5 a day to get their HoJs. 

@Darkrasp nails it with regard to loot council, though. The hypothetical council is clearly a piece of shit if quality warrior gear is now all going to that one bro who got ironfoe...decent raid officers will take much more into account, such as a player's performance with whatever gear they have—many loot councils will give the piece to whomever will be most advantaged by it (yes, subjective), which could be the dude with ironfoe or it could be someone else entirely. 

58 minutes ago, Darkrasp said:

4 BRD runs in an hour? Someone is going to have to describe to me exactly what a "Lava Run" is, and why it's broken.  BRD wasn't worth running for mages when I was playing retail.  I know a bunch of rogues in my guild used to do it all the time for a Shanker, but I only went all the way to Dagran two or three times to do quests so my familiarity with it is pretty low.   If it's a legit shortcut, then so be it, but if there is some shortcut which relies on exploitation, ie. Dire Maul (pathing exploits), Maraudon (reset inside instance), which is applicable to BRD, then it will be rectified.

From my knowledge it was a legit shortcut. I know some pservers didn't require shadowforge key to open it, so people who had never run the instance could use it to get around most of the bosses.  However, it seems that retail intention was to be able to surpass most of the first bosses and the tomb if you had gotten the shadowforge key already.  Some of the comments seem pretty exaggerated claiming 4 runs in an hour, if anything you could maybe run it twice in an hour with a well geared guild group that knows exactly what it's doing. Even then it's not like running the instance that many times causing anything to break. It won't flood the market with gold like the DM hunter solo could or the Maraudon reset from inside the instance. It was an intended shortcut that you need to seriously have a dedicated group to grind in order to go for something like ironfoe.  Usually I would see emp runs for Hand of Justice.

I'd say no action against this really needs to be made. After reading some stuff it looks like I maybe just had terrible luck with my lava runs because people seem to think 15 minute runs were possible

Edited by Kelila
spelling

Hope I can add my experience playing private servers the past 3 years to help shed some light on things
Just to show possibility: Yes, 4/5 full lockouts on per hour for a Lava EMP run are very easy. Thus:

Warrior on Cresftall: LFM BRD Lava Run(s) -- (Ironfoe Reserved) pst

Any melee/hunter who needs HOJ and healer who needs healing gloves /caster SP ring from quest will come to an hour of runs are fine having the tank reserve the epic item; no need for a guild.

This is what happens on every server when ironfoe is godlike and will happen if the weapon is better than viskag just an FYI. 

Also @Darkrasp, I want to add that what you described as a 'joke' in terms of players wanting to be  'Top Guild DPS' is entirely true and the circumstance for any hardcore guild having people wanting to do whatever it takes to get have BIS first items from new content. It's been potentially true for the past 3 year I've played all the vanilla servers in a variety of different guilds/circumstances/NA/EU etc etc and I"m willing to guess it will be exacerbated the more time passes as many 'push' vanilla to the max. Especially on a server like Crestfall; the more people think the server will be around consistently for years, the more willing they are to put in the billions of hours grinding the best item. Degrading their desires as 'anti social or despicable' doesn't change anything about what players are willing to do to gain any advantage when 'dps output' is the only unequal differentiation point of evaluation for guilds.

@Chiasmus You're missing the point; Walgrave is saying-- ceteris paribus --that the person willing to grind out the weapon has the best chance of receiving the best gear because of DPS gains. 

I'm okay with any decision you guys choose just be aware that if the weapon is godlike mode everyone WILL grind the weapon making other weapons potentially moot. :) Have a good day!

Edited by Zetox

1 hour ago, Darkrasp said:

@Walgrave I'm going to say again, that if a player gets a sub-1% drop, they concordantly outperform other people, and as a result your Loot Council seriously decides that now they are the only player worth giving gear to and kicks all the other warriors out of the raid, or melts gear in front of them, or whatever, then you need a new guild.  That's a joke.  I can only assume you are heavily exaggerating, or else are associating with a group of the most despicably anti-social type of people the internet dredges up.  Call that patronizing if you want.  (Edit:  I should clarify here, that giving loot priority only to people who are the top performers is a self-fulfilling prophecy.  How could anyone ever be expected to catch up when they are intentionally being held back by their own leadership?  Again, time for a guild change.  You don't want people like that running the show.)

@Drain  Yes, I know Hunters cannot use Maces, Priests/Druids shouldn't roll on what are clearly Melee weapons, etc.  I guess you've never done a pug and had a rare item drop before  :).  Or been in a pug with a hunter when literally anything drops at all (I lost out while levelling on retail to a hunter on Inventor's Focal Sword, fml).  When it comes to uber-rare items, my experience is that when they drop, the roll is going to be a crap shoot at best.  If you're in an all guild run, I suppose that's something different.  My experience was that it was tough to get guildmates to dedicate hours and hours to running an instance over and over with no loot of their own to be interested in, especially when they have their own gearing up to do.

you can skip half the instance in BRD and lava jump to where you smelt dark iron at. kill the fire eles and you can move on to the room full of ugly dwarves with torches. if you REALLY want to be a dick about it, you could just make the door to the dwarven area only open after the 7 dwarves are killed. xD:D a small adjustment to the game object to check for said event to be completed. problem will be to make sure it remembers that after a server crash or restart(if any).

just my opinion though.

2 hours ago, Cthun said:

Ironfoe doesn't have the potential to be the strongest TPS weapon, it has never been close on any private server. Not even for Horde. It is waaaaay to slow. The extra hits won't even closely make up for the missed heroics. And yes, I run numbers on this on ED, Warsong and Nostalrius. I assume Kronos is similiar as it holds the same core.

You assume wrong because out of all of those servers, Kronos is the only one who has correct rage gen values, if Crestfall has correct rage gen values you'll be shocked if you think you can tank with a really fast weapon spamming heroic strike plus abilites.

Edit: Actually scratch that, I'm not 100% sure if Kronos has correct values. What I do know for sure, is that Feenix and Nost you would get way too much rage from incoming damage and you also get rage from avoiding boss attacks, making it possible for you to spam heroic strike with a really fast weapon.

Edited by Cornholi

2 hours ago, Cthun said:

The only server I saw Ironfoe being overtuned DPS wise was Feenix.

Anyways alot of your opinions that you pretty much state as facts in this threads. Opinion =/= fact, it's a decent question how they are gonna do weapon procs but it's also based on the premise that weapon procs will be broken, and if they are I'm pretty sure it would be hotfixed. So the topic is pretty much a discussion what should be done incase the proccing is broken.. which seems pretty obvious.

rage generation was broken on Nost.

also Alcors was BOP until 1.9 and never saw any use in retail when QS was boe at 1.4

sorry but Alcors is just shit. :)

15 minute lava runs are so doable i find it hard to believe so many of you doubt this. These speed runs are easily doable with only 3 people as well (for better geared folk sure, like all the top guilds who farm this will be), its easy and quick. Also any smart player Reserves the item and puts it on master loot before the last boss. 

I guarantee you the main tanks and top dps warriors of the top 10+ guilds (and more) will farm this non stop until they get it. Assuming of course it's as strong as it was on Kronos or Feenix. And even on a realm like Nost where rage was infinite and tanks used 1.3 dagger for threat, this was still better for dungeon tanking and on certain raid bosses like Onyxia (Any top tank would have this in their inventory, and any good tank/DPS warr also understands situational fights where you change gear,trinkets,weapons and adjust accordingly, so even in a nerfed state it could be BiS for different situations). Still one of the BiS weapons for the dps warriors on that server too. (Again worth the farm)

The Real key here is Rage regeneration. This is one of the most difficult things to get right and every server does it a little bit differently. What will it be like on this server, what are the true blizz like numbers on that (i don't have any official articles or videos on actual blizz like rage regeneration)? The answer to that or the answer to how this server will deal with rage will be key into what weapons like Ironfoe will actually be BiS for all warriors, Tanks or DPS.  

The second question then would be how does it proc, how often, off of and with what etc etc.

Third would also be, How do enchants like Lifestealing or Crusader work and proc with these weapons. (For example, Crusader is better on Kronos, While Lifestaling was better on Nost, and depending on the weapon speed. speaking from a pure threat perspective) I'll let the people with actual data and numbers tell me what is actually Blizz like and right. (I personally go with the server i enjoy and adjust accordingly not looking too much as to what is most blizzlike, although of course i want the truest "blizzlike" experience.

Putting all 3 together does ironfoe end up being BiS and as powerful as @Walgrave says? (Kronos it definitely is) Will 1.3 daggers be BiS? WIll Alcors be BOP? all of these go hand in hand. Think this articles was a great way to bring up a lot of good points and broader topics to discuss.

Edited by Nocturn

@Zetox I don't think I'm missing the point; like Darkrasp, I disagree that it's a problem. Probably it would be a problem if Ironfoe is so much better than other pieces that other classes are getting obliterated in pvp and raids become 50% warriors. That's very different from Ironfoe existing in a state that makes it BiS. Is it better by 300dps? or is it barely BiS? Those numbers will matter. Your final point about rendering other loot as moot doesn't seem to matter much—isn't that the point of a BiS piece? at a certain point, most items for a given slot "are potentially moot" in comparison to what you've got. Many trinkets compared to HoJ are moot.

I think the real questions are what @Nocturn brings up: how should it work in "blizzlike" conditions, and what will the conditions be on CF. Anyway, I still agree with darkrasp that the hypothetical loot council Walgrave described—while possible—is a dumb way to run a guild. I briefly mentioned some reasons and I can go into more detail if you want, but I think that's getting away from "the point."

Ironically, a warrior who doesn't have Ironfoe will be at an advantage when it comes to those not-quite-Ironfoe weap drops :P

At the end of the day, it'll all depend on how Ironfoe stacks up against other weapons which—as Nocturn pointed out—we don't yet know. It'll be interesting to hear how rage, pros, and enchants will work together on crestfall, and that'll give us a better idea of how it'll play out. This thread has been interesting to follow though!

6 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

If it's a legit shortcut, then so be it

It was legit on live but I only did it a couple of times iirc. I vaguely remember the fire damage being somewhat prohibitive for certain classes like squishy hunters.

7 minutes ago, DeeMarie said:

It was legit on live but I only did it a couple of times iirc. I vaguely remember the fire damage being somewhat prohibitive for certain classes like squishy hunters.

we already confirmed it legit. only difference was retail has the lava doing damage on the ledge part where you would run, whereas on Cmangos realms, it doesnt. so thats an issue.

http://imgur.com/a/HzM2E from retail

https://github.com/cmangos/issues/issues/1071 is the CMangos report.

already saving it for beta when BRD gets scrubbed and hope it gets included in some fixes. (when we verify it during dungeon testing that is)

Edited by imbaslap

5 hours ago, imbaslap said:

rage generation was broken on Nost.

also Alcors was BOP until 1.9 and never saw any use in retail when QS was boe at 1.4

sorry but Alcors is just shit. :)

Well, most private servers are errrrr... you know.. 1.12. And certainly not retail. Why even bring that up. The sky is blue today btw. Are we still talking about rage generation for 1.12? On Nostalrius I remember that you actually got rage according to the formula you can find by googling for 1.12. The same goes for most other mangos servers out there. Kronos is an exception since they tried their own thing, but they can hardly say it's working the way it did in retail. 

5 hours ago, Cornholi said:

You assume wrong because out of all of those servers, Kronos is the only one who has correct rage gen values, if Crestfall has correct rage gen values you'll be shocked if you think you can tank with a really fast weapon spamming heroic strike plus abilites.

Edit: Actually scratch that, I'm not 100% sure if Kronos has correct values. What I do know for sure, is that Feenix and Nost you would get way too much rage from incoming damage and you also get rage from avoiding boss attacks, making it possible for you to spam heroic strike with a really fast weapon.

First of all, I feel sorry for all that wanna cuck warriors into the starved rage generation of TBC when we are playing vanilla. Players were using fast weapons in retail aswell to spam out more heroics, it's a 10 year old practice so SHOCK ME. Also, you did get alot of rage on those servers you are right, yet when testing you actually get the same amount given in the formula.. maybe it's a 1.12 thing. Feenix did give ALOT more rage at lower levels though than nost did. Kronos have been using old videos as references to tweak their generation, but if it's accurate for patch 1.12 or not - they can hardly claim more than the other.

@Darkrasp

What decent raiding guild DOES NOT deck their best players first? Might aswell use DKP when you're at it then. Also it's not that much of a grind for Ironfoe as you think.. you'll get it fairly quickly if you do lava runs frequently.

PS: Bangladesh delivering threads

Edited by Cthun
typo

no warrior used fast weapons on any retail server. they all used quel serrar, ZG sword, nef axe or widows from Naxx.

the only fast weapon was alcors and it was nonexistant due to 1.9 bop to boe change.

by that time, no-one cared about fast weapons. so no.. you are wrong.

everyone used QS in AQ40 in 1.9 because of the damage intake was heavier. they also didnt have 1.12 talents..

sure 1.12 you could say alcors saw some existance, but it didnt because every good guild was decked in Naxx gear and could care less about some shit fast world drop BOE epic drop.

rage generation was not correct and the only server close to getting it right was Kronos (sadly). the damage taken formula was way off on Nost. denying that fact means you have 0 research data on the topic. 

https://vanilla-twinhead.twinstar.cz/?issue=5893 here is the thread for the illinformed with extra data from "google" that you proclaim to have known. :)

gonna bump the blue post data @Walgrave posted so people dont miss it. http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/18325-the-new-rage-formula-by-kalgan/

watch the warrior rage bars and see how magic damage done and how much rage they get from 4horsemen mobs. obviously the one on mograine will be rage capped because he hits like a dump truck. also see how parry/dodge doesnt even give warriors rage on patchwerk and only get rage from being hit as the main tank.  in the 4horseman video watch spell damage done by the mark aura. @3:06, the warrior gets about 28 rage from a 4th mark of zeliek. which does  3000  damage of shadow(probably took 2700 with def stance). continue watching and you will see that rage generation is not what you think it is and nost was far from perfect on getting things right.   

warrior lost 2700 hp, gained 28 rage. do the math based on the formula while running away from a mob. straight spell dmg from mark 4.

2700/28=94.6 

94.6 damage taken per 1 rage. 

#debunked 

#sorrynotsorry

Edited by imbaslap

1 hour ago, Nocturn said:

Thanks for that info @imbaslap. Looks like right now we just need to know what rage regen and the formula is going to be like on this server. @Darkrasp

@Roadblock and me are digging more.

but it is 100% proven no rage on dodge or parry.

also have to investigate serker rage and ubridled wrath etc. but the formula you linked was spot on in the video footage.

now compare and contrast the rage generation the DS warriors got from weak ass corehounds and surgers.  its jumping like 20+ rage a hit. and almost always rage capped. that shouldnt even be possible unless the warrior takes 2k+ hits from the mob. and the hp bar barely even moves. (watch tar of tar)  

"video is from february of 2016, 2 months prior to nost shutdown"

Edited by imbaslap

Yea for lava runs you just keep jumping because you are not "in" the lava technically for long enough intervals to constitute taking lava damage, because you are in the air longer than in the lava.

Side note Dark: You gonna do a dev update today?

Edited by Old_Beardo

50 minutes ago, Cthun said:

Well, most private servers are errrrr... you know.. 1.12. And certainly not retail. Why even bring that up. The sky is blue today btw. Are we still talking about rage generation for 1.12? On Nostalrius I remember that you actually got rage according to the formula you can find by googling for 1.12. The same goes for most other mangos servers out there. Kronos is an exception since they tried their own thing, but they can hardly say it's working the way it did in retail.

If you know the formula you would know that's not true, let me show you:

Here's a video of a main tank tanking Nef on Nostalrius: https://www.twitch.tv/vipzi/v/55361063 , fast forward to 34:51, at exactly that moment Vipzi (the MT) is sitting at 53 rage he takes a hit for 1578 (186 blocked) and his rage bar immediately shoots up to 97, that's a 44 rage increase just from one hit.

Currently there's two rage generation formula from incoming damage:

The one that can be found on Wowwiki from 2006: Enemy Level * 1.5 = 1 Rage

and the one @imbaslap posted from Kalgan: Rage Gained = (Damage Taken) / (Rage Conversion at Your Level) * 2.5.

By doing the math you will see that you should only be getting anyting from 16 to 17 rage from 1578 hit.

I hope rage generation is working properly here so selfish dick Warriors will stop jacking our skinning knife just for a tiny 0.1 speed boost over the bonescraper.

27 minutes ago, Drain said:

I hope rage generation is working properly here so selfish dick Warriors will stop jacking our skinning knife just for a tiny 0.1 speed boost over the bonescraper.

formula already written and done in discord public.

@Asura just has to code it in 15mins or some shit.

basically damage taken formula was correct, the damage dealt formula was wrong.

also rage cost refund on warrior spenders was added too from what @Darkrasp and @Roadblock decyphered a few minutes ago.

should be set atleast for those issues for now.

you can probably dig discord public for the conversation, but should be good now. (CF gets shit done son) 

Edited by imbaslap