Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darkrasp

Darkrasp's Update 10/24/2016

75 posts in this topic

Heres what i have posted recently, i felt it needed to be shared.

I have given up on Crestfall, they are just another playTBC. The delays are because they dont have the ability or technical skill to put it all together and they are starting to realise it, hence all the excuses. The honest answer is that the project has come to a grinding halt, expect Crestfall to close shop the way PlayTBC did.

Reading between the lines, the 2030 release is no joke, its an admission that its beyond them.

With any luck there is a chance that Nostalrius could restart. There is no way that retail will release classic servers, they lied and I think the Nostalrius team are starting to realise they were used.

3 minutes ago, Doom said:

I have given up on Crestfall, they are just another playTBC. The delays are because they dont have the ability or technical skill to put it all together and they are starting to realise it, hence all the excuses. The honest answer is that the project has come to a grinding halt, expect Crestfall to close shop the way PlayTBC did.

Reading between the lines, the 2030 release is no joke, its an admission that its beyond them.

With any luck there is a chance that Nostalrius could restart. There is no way that retail will release classic servers, they lied and I think the Nostalrius team are starting to realise they were used.

lol the tinfoil xD

Those 2 posts though! Clearly you are to be taken very seriously

On 25.10.2016 at 0:32 PM, Doom said:

PlayTBC came out of nowhere and was shady as hell. CF's development has been constant and their communication transparent.

Is there any way  to subscribe to a news feed or something to get all the updates as soon as they come out?

2 hours ago, Doom said:

Oh no, a "member" with 2 posts and no reputation has given up on the project.

How will Crestfall ever recover from such a blow?

Your comparison with playTBC is very unfair, and if you are really that fast to accuse CF of being like that, maybe we're all better off without you.

Edited by Wolfrig

2 hours ago, Doom said:

1. We take no donations and do this because we want the best possible experience.

2. PlayTBC rushed to release in order to cash with Nostalrius shutdown, we didn't even if we could have.

3. List me all the excuses, we've been telling you all along that we are delaying because some core functionalities need more work.

If you have anymore questions behind the accusations, feel free to post and I'll try to answer the best I can. :)

2 hours ago, Doom said:

Guaranteed replies.

11 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

vaporware

This word brings my mind to all the vaporware memes flying around prior to the first Darkfall release :D

1 hour ago, Soyoen said:

This word brings my mind to all the vaporware memes flying around prior to the first Darkfall release :D

I'm pretty sure he means tupperware. Tupperware is known for quality. He basically says quality, which means "Crestfall gonna be high quality."

12 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

While delaying the beta is bad PR, releasing a bad server is far worse.  

Blizzlike confirmed!

In all seriousness though, while there may be vitriol, it just means those people are passionate about and invested in the server.  Once it is released, noone will care how long it took.  In the end we all seriously appreciate the hard work and dedication you guys are putting in; thank you!

Look forward to reading next week's update.

I like the update, I hope they are able to fix everything with good speed.

Thanks for the update. Take all the time you need to get it right and ignore the trolls.

Thanks for the update again dark.

May you take less than a year to release the server xD

I think the Crestfall staff are finding out about the nuances of the future player base. Although the Vanilla game is more pure and superior to retail, and has been for a decade even with all the technical issues other vanilla servers have, it's a mistake to think that the Vanilla player base is somehow more pure and better than the retail player base. In 2004 there were many good people playing Vanilla but also many thumbsucking psychopaths. As the gaming world has shifted away from collective play toward individual play, the proportion of the latter has increased until you have the retail WoW "community" you have now. Don't expect for a second that you can shield Crestfall socially from the fallout of what retail has turned many WoW players into.

I commend Darkrasp for bothering to post an update at all. Given all the psychopathic crap that has been thrown at the Crestfall team by thumbsuckers ever since the estimate for beta came and went, I would personally have folded the project and retired from Vanilla WoW for good.

So most will know that any dev update gets copy&pasted onto the reddit forums (much hilarity ensues). 

Interestingly enough, there's a reasonably detailed text from Asura in answer to some constructive criticism which I find of interest (others may not)

(Q) It doesn't need to be shared but the best product roadmaps are developed in concert with the team, not hidden from them, but this is not relevant.

(Asura) Let me ask you something, since you seem to know so much of what you're talking about. How much experience do you have in development?

I would suggest you read up on Scrum. Then understand I'm a mix of both scrum master and product owner. I have to go through what needs to be done, set our priorities for beta(what I'm calling our roadmap), and then from there, we have sprints(thus why we use things like Jira internally to help planning and project development), where our team together pushes on what we do. Sadly, I also have to take the place of an analyst, making the move from knowing what to do and how to do it does fall on me, making it a bit slower and one sided until I've had a chance to look each part over.

Also, to point out a minor issue with what /u/Darkrasp has said, nothing is actually hidden from the team at this point, because they know what "has to be done". It's more of "what each point needs to have done in order for it to be done". For example, they know "Pathfinding" needs final adjustments. But what about it? There's some final syncing issues, but where? There's a difference between a "We want to make this work" for the public and the "We need to do this and this and this and this for this to work" on the backend.

(Q) What is relevant is people expected a beta to occur when the project has not yet even captured the work to perform, let alone prioritized it.

Actually, we decided to scrap our previous roadmap because we found it wouldn't put us where we felt comfortable for a beta, and we decided to expand a bit more to try and ensure no major system modifications would need to be made post alpha, thus allowing us to focus on things like quests, spells/talents, and instances/raids. This is why new planning is taking place. We admitted to delays, and we apologized, but we aren't going to release our beta in a sorry state, or a state that will require beta to take even longer as more testing is done.

(Q) Everyone should temper their expectations since this project is still in the early stages of development.

Depends on what you mean early stages of development. Your server of choice (Elysium) for example, released with a stock mangos emulator, and still has tons of major issues. Systematically, it's in terrible shape. Do you consider it in "early stages of development"? If not, then our alpha testers can tell you we're not either.

Sorry we don't feel comfortable releasing a stock emulator that is still heavily broken months later; We would prefer to that by launch, the server requires only basic updates and plays smooth for all players.

Link

Reddit stuff

19 minutes ago, Outstanding said:

So most will know that any dev update gets copy&pasted onto the reddit forums (much hilarity ensues). 

Interestingly enough, there's a reasonably detailed text from Asura in answer to some constructive criticism which I find of interest (others may not)

(Q) It doesn't need to be shared but the best product roadmaps are developed in concert with the team, not hidden from them, but this is not relevant.

(Asura) Let me ask you something, since you seem to know so much of what you're talking about. How much experience do you have in development?

I would suggest you read up on Scrum. Then understand I'm a mix of both scrum master and product owner. I have to go through what needs to be done, set our priorities for beta(what I'm calling our roadmap), and then from there, we have sprints(thus why we use things like Jira internally to help planning and project development), where our team together pushes on what we do. Sadly, I also have to take the place of an analyst, making the move from knowing what to do and how to do it does fall on me, making it a bit slower and one sided until I've had a chance to look each part over.

Also, to point out a minor issue with what /u/Darkrasp has said, nothing is actually hidden from the team at this point, because they know what "has to be done". It's more of "what each point needs to have done in order for it to be done". For example, they know "Pathfinding" needs final adjustments. But what about it? There's some final syncing issues, but where? There's a difference between a "We want to make this work" for the public and the "We need to do this and this and this and this for this to work" on the backend.

(Q) What is relevant is people expected a beta to occur when the project has not yet even captured the work to perform, let alone prioritized it.

Actually, we decided to scrap our previous roadmap because we found it wouldn't put us where we felt comfortable for a beta, and we decided to expand a bit more to try and ensure no major system modifications would need to be made post alpha, thus allowing us to focus on things like quests, spells/talents, and instances/raids. This is why new planning is taking place. We admitted to delays, and we apologized, but we aren't going to release our beta in a sorry state, or a state that will require beta to take even longer as more testing is done.

(Q) Everyone should temper their expectations since this project is still in the early stages of development.

Depends on what you mean early stages of development. Your server of choice (Elysium) for example, released with a stock mangos emulator, and still has tons of major issues. Systematically, it's in terrible shape. Do you consider it in "early stages of development"? If not, then our alpha testers can tell you we're not either.

Sorry we don't feel comfortable releasing a stock emulator that is still heavily broken months later; We would prefer to that by launch, the server requires only basic updates and plays smooth for all players.

Link

Reddit stuff

Kinda wonder that why people are so pissed about the delay of the beta if it only means that crestfall wants to ensure that we get the best that we can possibly get?

Imo, the Dev updates shouldn't even be posted to Reddit in the first place.

A lot of us wouldn't have known without posts to reddit. What other venue is there to learn about private servers easily?

Edited by Knetik

On 25.10.2016 at 9:24 PM, Knetik said:

A lot of us wouldn't have known without posts to reddit. What other venue is there to learn about private servers easily?

nimetön.png

5 minutes ago, Lilaina said:

nimetön.png

I fail to see your reason.He said he didn't know of CF forums at all and thanks to r/wowservers he got to know of them.

Going to do a short stream on Thursday, October 27th, 5pm-8pm GMT.

35 minutes ago, Darkrasp said:

Can anyone record the stream for those who can't make it? :o

40 minutes ago, Darkrasp said:

Aye laddie.............but what year?

*ducks*

*runs*