Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Darkrasp

Darkrasp's Update 10/24/2016

71 posts in this topic
39 minutes ago, Kel said:

The problem is that we have no idea where cf is in term of a released project. I keep hearing that the majority of the problems are easy fixes, so what exactly is the problem? A lack of manpower, lack of motivation, or is the project really that far back where they are afraid to inform the community. I've learned from experience (not just games but IRL) that a lack of transparency is usually a bad sign. While these updates are refreshing for some people, for me it's just a method to show some form of activity to keep the hype. 

As I've said before setting the standards too high just makes projects drag longer then they should. I would say the worse problem a server can release with is pathing as it's one of the most frustrating problems people have to deal with. Nostalrius set the bar high even though those like myself who played there know it wasn't perfect, but it kept improving and the blizlike idea was really popular.

CF doesn't have to be a perfect release, however pathing should be working well and the 1-30 levels should be spot on. As we have seen with elysium a server is a make or break within the first 24 hours. Mobs running through walls in caves agroing every single other mob can be frustrating. Soon after the release the server was degraded to shit and that's why instead of growing it's slowly dying. I can't stress the importance of early game presentation. Honestly by the time people start seeing problems 30+ they have already invested time and are willing to ride it through. If they start and instantly start seeing problems then it's done and prepare for online bashing like no other.

I've played on Elysium for nearly 30 something levels and i got tired of the bugs + awful pathfinding, i just quit cus i wasn't motivated to reach 60 and when i saw fresh L60 people raiding, MC + Ony being really bad, MC really awful scripting, the mobs before Ony were patrolling inside the ground and aggro'ing other guards i simply decided to stop playing there.
That server gave me nightmares, i hope i don't ever play on a server like that again lulz

Edited by ClawzTheMeow
typos
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Smirre said:

I was under the impression that crestfall team has been very transparent and has given very detailed information to us that even nost didn't give? o.O

Well your idea of transparency is different from mine. Today's update like all the previous ones don't give us a slightest idea where the server is because you don't know exactly how much work is done and how much work  is needed. That is real transparency, not this run around the bush fluff.

Like I said before pathing alone will make or break a server. Also people now go into servers with high expectations because of nost and that not a bad thing. That's why I can't stress how important early game must be well polished.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Darkrasp said:

I'm afraid you're going to have to explain the "lack of transparency" statement.  My updates are literally everything I know up to the minute except for the stuff I've been specifically told NOT to talk about.

The majority of problems are easy fixes, but just because something is easy doesn't necessarily mean it's fast.  When I say things are easy, it's to reassure people that they are possible, or in other words, we have not run into any "uh oh, we don't know how to fix this!" moments.  So far everything is coming along nicely, it just takes time.

I know it must be tough and I thank you for your work, but I feel I have to be realistic. With all the updates you give I'm no closer to understanding where the server is and when I can expect it. Unless someone else in the community is getting information that is not publicly displayed then no we have no idea. 

I just hope the project doesn't drag along because of the amount of expectations you have set on yourselves. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kel said:

I know it must be tough and I thank you for your work, but I feel I have to be realistic. With all the updates you give I'm no closer to understanding where the server is and when I can expect it. Unless someone else in the community is getting information that is not publicly displayed then no we have no idea. 

I just hope the project doesn't drag along because of the amount of expectations you have set on yourselves. 

We'll be setting up some web features in the near future where you'll be able to better track code-specific progress if that's your area of primary concern.  Asura talks about those a bit in his Orcbit interview and I'm sure his next update will cover more information on that.

Another point worth mentioning is that a lot of the technical nitty-gritty involved in breaking down a complex item into what is done/todo is just too difficult to explain to people without a programming (and specifically, emulation) background.  I myself am not a core developer and a lot of the details are beyond my understanding, too.  The purpose of my blog posts isn't to explain specifics to emulation coders, they are for laymen.  To that end, the updates are typically simple and generic, with the purposes of showing that work is being done, staying engaged with the community, providing topics for discussion, sharing a little bit of simple technical information (presented in a hopefully straightforward, teachable manner) and asking for suggestions or community input on specific things.

If you're only interested in a progress bar, I'm afraid I'm unable to provide you with one.  All the development staff did see the Roadmap today, and I can tell you there are seven items on it, each broken down into 2-4 specific tasks, some of which Asura and Rodeg have already gotten well into, but I lack the expertise to provide an estimate of how long each task will take in a best case scenario, a worst case scenario, or any other kind of scenario.  Well, I suppose a worst-worst-case scenario would be that a zombie plague or nuclear war kills all of us, preventing the server from ever launching at all, but we're operating under the assumption that we'll still be alive for at least a little while longer.  ;)

6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Darkrasp said:

Going to do a short stream on Thursday, October 27th, Noon GMT +1 2030.

FTFY.

Could I suggest you spend that dev steam working on Holy Resistance?

;)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Elicas said:

FTFY.

Could I suggest you spend that dev steam working on Holy Resistance?

;)

Show mecanar script pls, does it worket ?

Edited by dailybs
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure this has been answered before so I'll take a reply from anyone, it does not even have to be a dev. If I was interested in contributing to this project is there anyway I could get involved?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kel said:

@Darkrasp Thanks for you response and I look forward to see how crestfall develops.

The simple and generic people like me thank him too.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers for Darkrasp, Asura, Crogg and all the Devs and community making this a great project :) Don't let the negative comments affect you !

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kel said:

Well your idea of transparency is different from mine. Today's update like all the previous ones don't give us a slightest idea where the server is because you don't know exactly how much work is done and how much work  is needed. That is real transparency, not this run around the bush fluff.

To give you an insight into what it’s like to be involved in software development:

Even as a developer who is responsible for a project or a piece of work, it can be difficult to know exactly how much work there is to be done and exactly how long the implementation of said work can take. You will have a good idea of the major milestones and you can break those milestones down into sub-milestones, but you won’t a clear picture of the low level functionality until you come to build it. This makes it difficult to provide a realistic time estimate because issues typically arise when you come to implement low level functionality, you may realise that something doesn’t behave as expected, or a previous implementation of some logic doesn’t account for some new scenario and that also has to be changed.

Since it’s so difficult to provide a realistic time estimate for a piece of work for the aforementioned reasons, it’s REALLY difficult to provide a realistic time estimate for a project of this size. Typically you either have to provide a large overestimate (which sometimes doesn’t even cut it), publicly delay the project, or release the project in a state that’s buggy as hell (you see this sometimes in the games industry, e.g: no mans sky).

It’s better if you don’t provide a public deadline until you can be 100% confident in your ability to deliver. Personally, I think the way the guys have been transparent (by their definition) and provided weekly updates is very informative, reaffirms confidence in the project and conveys a professional mannerism. It’s one of the reasons why CF has so much hype surrounding it.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tiberius said:

I'm sure this has been answered before so I'll take a reply from anyone, it does not even have to be a dev. If I was interested in contributing to this project is there anyway I could get involved?

If you have experience with LUA, (and to a lesser extent, SQL and/or C++) and are interested in writing quest or event scripts, then we are still adding names to the list of volunteers for the scripting team.  Send me a PM if that's the case.

If you aren't a programmer then your best bet is to wait for beta signups.  Thanks for your interest.  :D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw that orcbit interview and it was quite informative. We know now that we can expect a beta sometime in early 2017. This means the actual release could even extend to early/late April. It could be earlier or later but just my predictions.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Kel said:

The problem is that we have no idea where cf is in term of a released project. I keep hearing that the majority of the problems are easy fixes, so what exactly is the problem? A lack of manpower, lack of motivation, or is the project really that far back where they are afraid to inform the community. I've learned from experience (not just games but IRL) that a lack of transparency is usually a bad sign.

The Crestfall Mod's and Dev's are more transparent and activ already pre beta than the whole Nost Crew was in over a year.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Knetik said:

A lot of us wouldn't have known without posts to reddit. What other venue is there to learn about private servers easily?

Content Creators will make content about the server when it's released, word spreads fast when servers are good. You have a good point, though.

The reason I said what I said is because I constantly see the developers trying to justify/explain themselves about the server to people on that subreddit when they literally have no clue nor the will to listen, it's like Einstein talking to a fish... /r/wowservers is just incredibly toxic and the developers shouldn't even acknowledge 85% of the posts there, my opinion though. For every 5 bad fish we get 1 shark so I guess it doesn't matter.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AzAMOuS said:

Content Creators will make content about the server when it's released, word spreads fast when servers are good. You have a good point, though.

The reason I said what I said is because I constantly see the developers trying to justify/explain themselves about the server to people on that subreddit when they literally have no clue nor the will to listen, it's like Einstein talking to a fish... /r/wowservers is just incredibly toxic and the developers shouldn't even acknowledge 85% of the posts there, my opinion though. For every 5 bad fish we get 1 shark so I guess it doesn't matter.

I agree with you on that point. There really isn't a reason to acknowledge the response to the posts at all because of the crazy toxicity on that subreddit.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Knetik said:

There really isn't a reason to acknowledge the response to the posts at all because of the crazy toxicity on that subreddit.

I disagree. r/wowservers is incredibly toxic, but even if it looks futile - having an open discussion with the people of such a popular sub is a necessary evil and something that shines a positive light on the server. Dark and Asura have done a great job with public relations and this forum's supportive attitude is proof of that.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0