Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rooted

[Megathread] Legacy Discussion

51 posts in this topic

Greetings Crestfallen!

We all have heard news about official Legacy announcements, and I'm sure you're all very eager to discuss them. So with that in mind we've gotten quite a few duplicate threads about the same thing. Whether it's news or discussion about Nostalrius, Legacy announcements, or anything else in that matter I've created this one Megathread for you guys to chat. All future Legacy-Server(Official) or related discussion will be merged with this thread.

For a week's time this will be a pinned for visibility, but unpinned afterwards.

Thank you,

rooted

Everything about this topic just feels like speculation until we actually see any action by the Nostalrius team or until we just wait until crestfall releases.  I feel like there isn't much discussion left to have here

As much as I would like to flame and shill, I think it's wiser to stay calm, like the cow I am.

Let's instead talk about something happier, for example ice cream.

Maybe someday ActiBlizz will set up legacy realms, once they've figured out a way to monetize them to their satisfaction (maybe that's an unstated reason for the delay, a lack of obvious microtransaction opportunities beyond collector's edition pets and a lack of "new players").  I'd be excited to try them out.  I still think the content seasons idea (sorta like Diablo) could work for them.  But I don't expect anything.  Might as well park my ass on the sidewalk and hold up a sign for Godot if I'm gonna pin my hopes on Brack burping out something useful.  In the meantime, Crestfall it is.  If Nost re-releases, eh, terrific, but I'm more interested in CF.

On 10/26/2016 at 2:28 AM, Kelila said:

Everything about this topic just feels like speculation until we actually see any action by the Nostalrius team or until we just wait until crestfall releases.  I feel like there isn't much discussion left to have here

An ongoing discussion about the idea of legacy realms is mostly spitballing of course, but it's interesting to gauge what different people would want or expect from a Blizzard version of such a thing (I'm with Elicas and others who think they'd probably screw it up, but I'd give it a shot and see).  Pining for Nostalrius is less interesting.

1 hour ago, Humperdink said:

An ongoing discussion about the idea of legacy realms is mostly spitballing of course, but it's interesting to gauge what different people would want or expect from a Blizzard version of such a thing (I'm with Elicas and others who think they'd probably screw it up, but I'd give it a shot and see).  Pining for Nostalrius is less interesting.

Yeah, I don't really have a lot of hope in the Nostalrius future or the Blizzard Legacy servers (they would absolutely screw them up).  I'm pretty much in the boat of Crestfall or nothing and I'm happy with that.  Also, I absolutely love the username.

So, I puttered around Legion for a bit - no extensive grinding - just enjoying the leveling experience and a bit of end-game content.  It's quite a bit better than WoD, but that said, it still doesn't have that great, community feeling of Vanilla.

I played on Nost for five months and had a great time.  It finally gave me a reason to unsubscribe from retail for awhile.

I got the Vanilla itch right now but it's a shame that there isn't anything ready to go that has quality and good service.  I think whoever comes out of the gate first with decent quality, whether that's CF or Nost, will capture the lion's share of the playerbase.

I am anxiously awaiting news from CF and Nost.  I guess the next big think will be post-Blizzcon with Nost's announcement (which will likely be vagued and disappoint the hype they are creating).  At a minimum, I hope they release the code so that other startups have a better base to commence with.

Finally BlizzCON is here. Lets see what happen during or after it ^_^

18 hours ago, Toche said:

Finally BlizzCON is here. Lets see what happen during or after it ^_^

Nothing.

;)

Blizz will do legacy servers eventually but they won't be "pure" Vanilla.

My prediction is a standalone "remastered expansion" that rebuilds Vanilla on modern version of the engine, with lots of changes like class re-balances, mechanic tinkering and so on.

It will be sold as "We loved Vanilla, but we wanted to make it better and see what we could do working within the Vanilla framework blah blah blah".

There is no way Blizzard will release Vanilla "warts and all", and I doubt many would want a retail pay to play game riddled with bugs and broken mechanics.

Edited by Psydonk

On 10. 11. 2016 at 1:10 PM, Psydonk said:

My prediction is a standalone "remastered expansion" that rebuilds Vanilla on modern version of the engine

Ditto. Blizzcon gave me proof to back this up, just look at what they are doing with Diablo - putting it into D3 engine. Ew.

Blizzard/garbagevision will release legacy servers once they figure out the most effective way to milk as much money as possible from the players that want them, once they figure that out we will have legacy servers. Go Indie Developers !!! 

Edited by Aremdor

Since its all speculatiuon for now, ill give you my wish of how i would like to see offiacal legacy server...

I would be ok with standalone box + 15/month.

Updated graphics and shit.

Keep hardcore aspects of 1.12 like Elite zones in most zones, slow xp curve and need for grouping up (especally while lvling) +other aspects of making world more alive (no battlemasters etc)

There is really no need for quests with horrible drop rates!

I wouldnt mind if they tune classes to be somewhat more balanced (after all we know, what each patch did and how it reflected ingame)

Revised aka buffed crafting (i despise the fact that there are so little usefull craftable items per proffesion)

Updated buffs/debuffs slots and timers 

Encourage world pvp

And ofc they can add with later patches contet that was cut from original 

I wouldn't mind legacy servers with some tweaks and new content like Zniki said. Private servers can keep emulating the original game just fine. The problem is, I don't trust the current blizz developers to be competent enough to decide what should be tweaked and added and how. For instance, I would like to see paladins and druids be somewhat more viable for tanking raids with some specific encounters where they get to shine while warriors still remained the overall best tanks. Current wow devs would most likely just buff druids and paladins to be as good as or better than warriors. As for new content, they would eventually nerf all the old content and add a 5 man dungeon with better gear than tier 3 along with a daily hub where all the good stuff would be making rest of the game world irrelevant. At least that's what they have been doing for the last 5 expansions.

Edited by Lilaina

18 minutes ago, Lilaina said:

I wouldn't mind legacy servers with some tweaks and new content like Zniki said. Private servers can keep emulating the original game just fine. The problem is, I don't trust the current blizz developers to be competent enough to decide what should be tweaked and added and how. For instance, I would like to see paladins and druids be somewhat more viable for tanking raids with some specific encounters where they get to shine while warriors still remained the overall best tanks. Current wow devs would most likely just buff druids and paladins to be as good as or better than warriors. As for new content, they would eventually nerf all the old content and add a 5 man dungeon with better gear than tier 3 along with a daily hub where all the good stuff would be making rest of the game world irrelevant. At least that's what they have been doing for the last 5 expansions.

It kinda started with Burning Crusade with the Island of Quel"Danis, but you only could get 2 pieces of gear + good weapons from there.   Which wasn't enough to instantly boost you to the end tier content.   However, it did help a lot.   This was the example of a good quest hub.  As well, not ALL The missions and content was available right away.  Enough people on server had to do the missions to unlock next tier missions.   Ever since Wrath though, each previous raid tier was made worthless by a new quest hub and new dungeon and new Justice Point rewards...