Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chilaverde

pros n cons of being hunter?

Hi guys, got questions to expenienced vanilla hunters... i ve been raiding n some pvp as rogue n dru on retail vanilla n nost, tried warr a bit on kronos2, but aint rly interested in em right now. So the question is ... what pros n cons of being a hunter? except of pretty fast leveling. As i remember in PvE hunters aint been in top of dps meter, tbh i never tried to get any info about em... i was thinking about creating hunt on crestfall but understood i dunno anything about them if it comes to raiding or 60lvls pvp. Tell me ur opinions plx. Thanks.

Being hunter in raid is meant to bring utility to your raid -  Tranq shooting frenzied bosses, kiting raid trashes, True shot aura to your group, No Raid can be done without at least 2-4 hunters for Tranq shooting and kiting. ANyway don't be a lazy ass and creating an other topic: "HUH PPL i WANN Pley Huntard, Bat dunno wat to do, can i tame a druid?"

Search Through forum before asking - Their is guides "from noob to Pro"

Regards!

In PvE hunters dmg isn't amazing but not bad either, they are not as popular as locks/mages/rogues for dps slots but they are needed for tranq shot/kiting/pulling. Rotation is a bit more involved compared to mages and locks. You need macros for everything and an autoshot timer addon.

In PvP hunters are great against casters (viper sting!) and have overall high survivability if played well. With high-end gear aimed shot crits can oneshot casters. Holy palas hard counter hunters so for pvp alliance is a better choice.

Honestly? Hunters are garbage DPS. Warriors, Rogues, Warlocks and Mages will always do significantly more damage. The only reason why Hunters get raid spots is because they are needed for their utility. Some boss mechanics requires Hunters to be part of the raid. This is the good news, Hunters will always have a few raid spots no matter what. Not because they are good but because they are required.

There are many advantages to playing a Hunter. For one, gold farming is easy. No need for an alt or to reroll, Hunter is a solid class that can handle themselves very well in terms of income.

In grouped PvP Hunters will shine. Nuking the frontlines or even reaching the backlines with their 41 yard range. With their ability to pick off targets they are strong in AV stalemates. In synergy with their pet and traps they make excellent defenders. Being to easily slow down and chase flag carriers in WSG or stall kill flag capping in AB for reinforcements it's good to have Hunters on your team.

In 1v1 *duels* PvP Hunters are quite strong as well, but they aren't the best. Hunters are favored against Rogues, Warriors, Druids, Shamans and Paladins. Mages are difficult but Warlocks and Shadow Priests can aboslutely destroy them.

Overall Hunters are a solid choice, they have their place in everything so you can't really go wrong with them.

The biggest PRO, rolling hunter is:

"Every Loot is Hunter Loot"

Hunters are great for solo pve and pvp play, probably one of the best. They are one of the strongest pvp classes, but do require a little skill to be successful. The only real downside to hunters is having lower dps then other classes but it's made up for the shear amount of utility they have. You can't get bored playing a hunter and you are always welcome in groups(unless your a huntard).

double post

Edited by Kel
double post

Humanoid Tracking, having a personal tank, being a ranged dps with a ton of utility and decent burst damage are all huge plusses for the class that I always miss when playing a non-Hunter. They also have probably the most unique class flavor and the 60 Rokh'Delar questchain is really neat.

But Hunters have a lot downsides: They're a popular class with relatively low dps in raids so other than for utility and kiting, you're not all that needed. Having to run around the world taming pets to train new pet skills and having to sacrifice a bag slot for arrows is very annoying. When compared to Warlocks, who also get a free level 40 mount, they seem very lackluster. They're also very unforgiving in PvP if you have any kind of lag at all - so non-EU Hunters tend to fare a little bit poorly. I would also say they're not that much faster at leveling, but they're definitely easier due to the 'Send Pet in, hit Auto Shot, go afk' style of gameplay.

6 hours ago, RipTonight said:

Hunters are favored against Rogues, Warriors, Druids, Shamans and Paladins. Mages are difficult but Warlocks and Shadow Priests can aboslutely destroy them.

Hunters have a high skill ceiling in PVP imo. It's easy to be average, but it takes effort to really stand out. I've played a Hunter, fought against Hunters and I've noticed it's usually the other way around for me. I'm NA so lag may have been a factor on Nost where I had a 60 Horde Hunter, or if I'm just terrible then feel free to correct me. Also having played a Warrior and Rogue, Crippling Poison / Warrior mobility and burst damage won me fights against nearly every Hunter besides a select few who had a much faster response time with Feign Death + Trap. So Hunters may be a class where your distance from the server dictates your performance in PVP.

3 hours ago, Malediction said:

Hunters have a high skill ceiling in PVP imo. It's easy to be average, but it takes effort to really stand out. I've played a Hunter, fought against Hunters and I've noticed it's usually the other way around for me. I'm NA so lag may have been a factor on Nost where I had a 60 Horde Hunter, or if I'm just terrible then feel free to correct me. Also having played a Warrior and Rogue, Crippling Poison / Warrior mobility and burst damage won me fights against nearly every Hunter besides a select few who had a much faster response time with Feign Death + Trap. So Hunters may be a class where your distance from the server dictates your performance in PVP.

Edit: With 3+ seconds lag anything I say doesn't matter. When I say Hunters are good vs Warriors I don't mean at China Prime Time Nost HEU HUE 15K pop 3+ seconds delay.

If you manage to burst down Hunters with a Rogue or Warrior before they can react then they are really bad at PvP. Scatter Shot, Feign Death into Frost Trap is not only an instant combo, but also one that had no counter play on Nost.

Nost lag shouldn't have been so great as to make Hunters unable to use Scatter Trap combo. All Hunters that didn't use this on you were either in a non-pvp spec or clueless as to how to play the class.

But to be fair, my ranking does indeed not count for average level PvP. Most players don't even know their all the matchups of their own class, the sad part is that there's only 9 of them in total. You can learn that in a day but most players never bother.

Edited by RipTonight

2 minutes ago, RipTonight said:

If you manage to burst down Hunters with a Rogue or Warrior before they can react then they are really bad at PvP. Scatter Shot, Feign Death into Frost Trap is not only an instant combo, but also one that had no counter play on Nost.

Nost lag shouldn't have been so great as to make Hunters unable to use Scatter Trap combo. All Hunters that didn't use this on you were either in a non-pvp spec or clueless as to how to play the class.

Most certainly was not instant, and bursting down a Hunter as a melee is really not that hard. You can use Scatter trapping if the lag prevents you from FD+Trapping, since seeing a Hunter have to stop moving for half a second gives you plenty of time to simply side-step it, but that still only gives you 1 free Aimed Shot before you're dancing with that Warrior again with no way to gain distance. I saw very few people who could FD+Trap without having to waste Scatter. Those people were the only ones that gave me a tough fight on a consistent basis.

So if it's a 'git gud' issue, then that factors into the high skill ceiling I mentioned. If lag is the issue or your computer is from 1993, it's not bad advice to say 'be aware of this, as it may affect your performance ingame'.

Lower raid DPS isn't a con. People seem to think it is, but if they took their tunnel vision eyes off the meters and looked at the big picture, they'd realize it isn't. A guild will take both classes and get both DPS values regardless of the one you pick, so it doesn't matter which one you pick. What matters is everything else. Hunters are an under played class (ironically because of the lower DPS, hur hur), which means it is much easier to get slots and gear. Additionally, the lower DPS means you don't have to worry much about aggroing the bosses. You get a 30s FD to make things even easier, but you rarely even need this thing. I used it on Ony, and not much else unless I was pulling.

On 10/28/2016 at 4:23 AM, mrmr said:

The biggest PRO, rolling hunter is:

"Every Loot is Hunter Loot"

I'll be honest here. Every time I hear/read someone say this I cringe. This is either an old and tired joke or someone painfully out of touch of the reality of playing a hunter. I almost never see hunters in groups/raids rolling on "everything" and have seen far more loot issues coming from other classes played. There is no mathematical advantage with taking gear not aligned to very specific stat priorities all knowledgeable hunters are already aware of. Gear is likely more limited in effective choice than some other classes have (but really, there is no mystery in gear choice for other classes either). This joke needs to die. /end of personal opinion piece

The damage issue (if even seen as an issue) is strictly a raid issue. Is scaling in later raidsmean damage is so low you can't be effective in all other areas outside of raiding? Hell no. Hunters do physical damage and can absolutely wreck cloth users unless they are specifically built tough. DPS for solo hunting is actually rather high. Outside of raid buffs scaling for all classes diminishes and the differences tighten. This is why you go from being mid tier (slightly higher if try harding) to still being able to lead damage in 5 mans. This is partly due to the amazing up time of hunter dps. It is a skill class however and rarely do you get to stand still and instant nuke people like some class builds can.

The bottom line is a hunter has several mechanics unique to themselves. They offer a different play style not shared by any other class. They are the most twitchy class to play in Wow (rogues close second) due to having to balance these unique mechanics and limitations. Truth is I miss playing a hunter each and every time I play another class. Of course the reverse is true to an extent as well as all vanilla Wow classes are iconic in their own way. I mean, I miss being able to global someone as an Elemental shaman, miss being able to fear people and blow them up as a warlock or the versatility of a druid but hunter simply has a purity to it not shared by many other classes once they are figured out.

I believe the biggest strength of a hunter is that it's a hunter, and there is no other class that emulates this play style. You choose to be different and to take on a challenging skill curve to master while accepting all other limitations.

Edited by Tamanous

Necroing this thread to chime in, any hunter (especially dwarfs) that looses to a warrior or a rogue needs to quit or literally git gud. A warrior without a pocket healer in PvP is a wet noodle. 

Also horde hunters have a much tougher time than alliance. Specifically because A: paladins are hard counters to hunters and B: dwarfs can dispel/immune devouring plague on spriests because of stoneform.

Posted (edited)

For me the most enjoyable thing about Hunters are the pets. So not surprising when I play them, it's always heavily specced in BM. Something about having an uber kitty at my side that can rip your face off, is very satisfying to me. :D

Edited by Primal

Pros:
Decent DPS and survivability
Faithful pet - less repair bills, never be lonely
Longest range
Decent move speed buff
Multiple escapes - feign death, freezing/frost trap, scatter shot, disengage, pet taunt
Decent chance against most other classes in PvP
Guaranteed raid spot if you know what you're doing (and sometimes even if you don't)
Relatively easy to generate income
Tracking

Cons:
Shouldn't ever top DPS charts in raids - PvP/dungeons are a different story
No pet til level 10 - early levels can drag
Ammo - gold sink and you lose a bag slot, 2 or more bag slots for long dungeons/raids
Pet management and maintenance - have to remember to set passive/defensive/aggressive, have to learn new skills from taming higher level pets, have to keep your pet fed and happy (easiest to do by having a pet that eats fish)
No quick AOE farming cloth (not that you need it)
Can't tame druids (though you can befriend them)
Ranged weapon upgrades are fairly sparse while leveling
Setting up macros
All the people who are bad at the class ruining your reputation

1 hour ago, Retrac47 said:

All the people who are bad at the class ruining your reputation

This.

I play this game since 2006 and about 95-99% hunters I meet are super BAD (P-servers since 2010).
By BAD i mean:
-they can't control pets (pulling random trash in dungeons, also turning pet's taunt off is somimes super difficult)
-they can't use freezing trap properly
-they are typical "GO GUYS" aka "me not waiting for tank, my pet better tank, fu nobz, omg faster"
-they roll need on items they don't need (aka "fire dmg robe is increasing trap damage so STFU noob")

Once I roll a tank on Kul'Tiras I'll be avoiding hunters in my dungeon group for sure.

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like this class was designed to single player gaming. There's no reason to group up as hunter before end game content. You can farm most elite quests solo. Any non-elite quest is super easy. You have pet so you there's always this +1 guy in your party. You don't need to upgrade your items with dungeon loot (questing stuff is way enought and you are still fastest leveling class).

But let me answer Your question as best as I can.

pros:
-raid guilds need hunters for late game content

cons:
-reputation of hunter class is very bad (but I might be wrong)

Protip: roll warrior.

There is so much about Hunters that is appealing to me. I love having a pet, of course. I love being a deadly archer, but also having melee skills (:xCounterattack). In that regard, hunters are a hybrid class. At least in PvP, which is my fav part of the game.

Pros: Easy to level.

Cons: You're a hunter...

Posted (edited)

45 minutes ago, Elicas said:

Cons: You're a hunter...

Remember who you are... simba.... I mean kitty!... That is no way to speak to your master so watch your mouth next time or else we'll have to go through the taming ritual once again. In fact, maybe I'll use other techniques next time!

Edited by Cruzix

Posted (edited)

I'm going to give you the straight up reasons why you should, and shouldn't roll a hunter. My experience is WoW from release week until cata. I raided as a hunter all through vanilla and TBC as my main. I even played a hunter on Nost, and was the 3rd best hunter dps on the server, and was BiS at the time the server shut down.

First, the good.
-Easy to level. Once you become skilled at kiting mobs, and as long as pet pathing is good on the server, leveling will be a breeze. You get aspect of the cheetah at 20 and rarely need help to kill elite quest mobs. Hunters typically tend to be the first players to reach 60 on a fresh server because of this
-Easy to obtain gold. As long as the devs stick to the original scripting of Dire Maul and Mara, a hunter can solo farm both instances. Resulting in over 100g per hour in vanilla, as well as bags full of endless healing and mana potions. The only other class that can compete with the ability of a hunter to farm gold is the mage, however as a hunter you just vendor the stuff you farm so the gold is independent of the AH. If crestfallen takes the same route as Nost and breaks the original mechanics in DM, then this no longer applies.
-Easy to obtain Pre-raid BiS gear. 95% of it comes from DM, which you can solo, and BoE gear, which you can buy with your DM gold.
-Required for raid bosses. There will always be at least 3 hunters in a raid due to their unique abilities.
-Not much competition for raid items. Due to the limited number of hunters typically brought into a raid, you're usually only rolling against 3 other people at most for nearly all your BiS gear. Although hunters can use everything, there's definitely a set that is best for them and you should stick to it.
-You are a ranged class. This means typically easier positioning on raid bosses, and you don't have to farm any resistance gear for MC or BWL. Marksmen is the primary spec, with survival only becoming viable near the end of AQ / Naxx as its dps is entirely based on your agility. Although losing trueshot is not typically welcomed by anyone.
-Simple dps rotation, although not the greatest dps.

Now the bad.
-Lose a bag slot to arrows
-Beyond the required numbers needed for kiting / boss abilities, not really any incentive to bring them to raids, in other words there are very limited raid spots available
-Must stand still to shoot, and there is a minimum range on your bow. This tends to be a burden in PvP, especially against warriors and rogues. You also will struggle against healers once they get geared, as viper sting does not scale at all and larger mana pools make it obsolete. Your other stings are generally useless outside of a few niche applications.
-Pets at endgame typically are not used outside of a howl buff, or spell bar pustback in pvp. Pets also do not scale.
-DOES NOT SCALE WELL. Only 2 of your abilities scale with your attack power and weapon damage. These are your only go to abilities for DPS. They are extremely limiting and by the time everyone is in tier 2, you start to really feel like you're falling behind rogues, warriors, mages, and warlocks in both pve and pvp.
-BiS bow from MC requires a quest, which is easily trolled by most people on the server. Other hunters will grief you over it. Even going as far as despawning mobs which take 6 hours to respawn.
-Only CC available to your requires you to be out of combat, and requires the target to step into it. This means you have a very limited duration available to you in pve applications, and it's completely avoidable in pvp applications. If combat doesn't break properly, as typical on many private servers, this means you're fucked once in combat.
-You have zero cooldowns to heal, or escape.
-You only have 1 spell interrupt and it's on a 30 second cooldown, scatter shot.
-You're basically locked into what professions you use. As a hunter Engineering is required, and alchemy is basically the best secondary skill. You will need the potions to farm, and elixirs to compete as dps, and engineering is the only way to reliably have your BiS ammo as well as required to farm DM.

Honestly, unless you have an absolute desire to play a hunter... don't. It's a great class as an alt to farm for your main. I'd suggest leveling one first, then twinking out your real main at all stages of the leveling process as you will have plenty of gold.  All other dps classes scale better than a hunter, in both pve and pvp. This is a far lesser problem in TBC, but in vanilla you can really tell it was the last class added to the game, and neglected a bit on design.

Edited by LemmyWinks

They have stated that there will be changes to DM and Mara farming so that's a loss to the pro column.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Kirb said:

They have stated that there will be changes to DM and Mara farming so that's a loss to the pro column.

I've read. That's very disappointing as well. Nerfing both instances basically kills the only reason to play a hunter. It's pretty foolish honestly, as this gives the chinese gold farmers and AH campers complete control of the economy, with no real way for the average player to make gold legitimately.

The arbitraily drawn line on private servers of what is "okay" farming is just hurts the normal, legit player. Addons to AH farm and multiboxing AoE mage farming are far more damaging to the economy than any other method of gaining gold. Especially when all of these 100g+ methods are considered "legit" but the hunter 100g magically is not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxFMy57JSds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtGExeTt0N
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhLiQ9aZOqA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD6jsHs__ho

Honestly, everyone is going to have to play a mage. I could post more, but I think this demonstrates well how arbitrary this hatred for hunter gold farming really is.

Edited by LemmyWinks

Posted (edited)

Going for the pet skill tree has been my favorite PVE  and world PVP experience. You can solo clear quests super fast, and a high DPS pet is great for standing your ground in STV or other PVP heavy zones. Marksmanship build is good at lvl 60 for both raid and PVP. As someone else said, you can one-shot casters if you catch them with their pants down.

There are a few dungeon drops (melee weapons) that are so good your hunter could keep them for 10-15 levels - but the warrior honestly needs the wep far more than you do. At least ranged weapons don't need to be shared with other classes. There are some exceptions, but all the best weapons for hunters will never be need rolled by another class.

Edited by WITCHCRAFT