Welcome to Crestfall Gaming

Register now to Crestfall Gaming. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

47 posts in this topic
Changelog RogueDPS Reborn
2016-05-16
Final changes (unless a serious bug/behaviour is reported)
  • Extra attack behaviour rewritten: Caused by instant attacks and similar reset the swing timer on the main hand, went with an average reduction as it will only be a minority who actively tries to prevent the losses from this to occur.
  • Ironfoe behaviour has been tuned down a bit due to this change. It should regardless of this be easier to look at how extra attacks are handled in the spreadsheet.
  • Missing food buffs & totems added.
  • Rank 9 eviscerate possibility added under the buff window.
  • Seal Fate talent implemented/introduced.
  • Thrash Blade with proc added.
  • Base miss formula (how hit is affected depending on the difference of weapon skill between npc/player) added.
  • The timespan options got a new addition in terms of a 30 sec option: without access to a reliable source of armor values from 2006 on each and every boss in 1.12.1 I can not proceed on a boss encounter choice.

2016-03-09
Corrections

• All endgame fists added together with their respective effects
  • Fist specialization added, the impact of dagger and fist specialization on crit now shows in the damage_calculation sheet combat tables regarding main / offhand crit rates
  • Slayer's crest added
  • Kiss of the Spider added
  • Badge of the Swarmguard added
  • Cloak of Firemaw & Swiftwalker boots added
  • Vest of Swift Execution added
  • Rewrite to make sure the 1min/2min/3min/4min/5min timeframe options all show correct values for the implemented trinkets and correlating effects
  • Individual buff system implemented with a recheck on all affected code
  • Small redesign on the main sheet page

2016-02-06
Corrections

• Added Shadowsong's Sorrow, Nightmare Blade, Emerald Dragonfang, and a few other items.
  • Fixed the Eviscerate calculation for dagger users as it was using the wrong rotation.
  • One-two minor tweaks in the main sheet which could cause confusion for users
  • Energycycle is now unprotected and making me even more nervous when messing around in the sheet ;)

2016-01-30
Corrections

• SND Uptime visual column added in the rotation tab.
  • Agility to Crit formula adjusted to better match Blizzlike values (28,979....), data from ctprofiles and screenshots.
  • Fixed a design malfunction from Kalman in the energycycle sheet, the finisher/energydamage of SND is now affected by the actual talent, this will better reflect the rotationdps shown in the main sheet if you dont have 3/3 SND.

2015-12-09
Corrections

• Tier 0,5 energy set bonus proc chance has been adjusted.
  • Mirah's song has now been added to the sheet.
  • Sword specialization talent formula has been polished.

2015-11-10
Corrections

• MSA proc corrected in accordance to Trindade (3 to 3,5dps difference).
  • Maelstrom interaction with MSA corrected.
  • Maelstrom PPM corrected (~0,2dps difference).
  • Bonescythe set bonus 8 is now functional.
  • Corrected combat table calculations at the highest possible gear and buff levels.
  • Found and corrected a major flaw in the combat table calculations.
  • Bloodfang damage call error corrected.

New Additions

• Talent system implemented together with minor core rewrite to make sure the talents show impact on the DPS in the main sheet.
  • Independent weapon skill for MH & OH implemented (was simulated by default in earlier versions but this solution will make the logic easier to follow).
  • Selecting time slot will now accurately determine your dps during that period of time (from 1min up to "full raid". Future releases will be more customized toward boss fights.
  • Added armor selection option for NPCs with three different type of opponents in terms of Caster, Melee and Tank/"High mitigation" opponents. Example: a Zul'Gurub high priestess, Magmadar and Garr.
  • Jom Gabbar added
  • Nightslayer Pants added
  • Thunderfury added

2015-10-25
Corrections

• Adjustments to the felstriker DPS calculation.
  • Minor adjustments to the miss(yellow), miss(white), and unavoidable dodge value formulas to exactly match Blizzard values in all situations.
Additional
  • Planning to create the possibility for rogues of all levels to use the sheet efficiently by (1) setting your level in addition to the already implemented NPC level, and (2) introducing relevant low level pieces to select.
  • Down the road a talent calculator will be implemented to give further options of customization to users of the spreadsheet.

2015-10-24
Corrections

• Haste effects adjusted.
  • Blade flurry dps adjustment.
  • Bloodfang proc adjusted to available data.
  • Vis'kag the Bloodletter IF formula added, ppm corrected.
  • Felstriker uptime calculation adjusted.
  • Crusader uptime calculation adjusted.
  • Emphyrean uptime calculation adjusted.
  • Glancing blows can now not deal more damage than normal hits in case of very high amounts of weapon skill.
New content
  • Possibility to select the level of the opponent, with the changes that comes with it in terms of reduction on glancing blows and the occurance of glancing blows according to Athan.
  • Threat per second window added next to the Damage spreadsheet
  • Darkmantle set (T0,5) Added to the list of choices.
  • Set bonus added for T2.5 (Darkmantle)
  • Set bonus added for T2.5 (Deathdealer)
  • Set bonuses added for T3 (Bonescythe)
Additional
Contributors tab added to the main menu; If you manage to point out changes or mistakes on my part I'll correct them and add you to the list. (Char name - Realm)
Edited by Soyoen

I played as rogue back in the day and this thread is amazing. I have some different points of view in some parts but overall this is a great topic. Well done! 

I love good guides like this.  Makes me wish I played rogue, however last I checked... rogues cant heal.  Nice guide Soyoen

Hi there soyo. Its great to see you actually took the time to bring some knowledge to the people. Especially, and even more so, because very few in the community would be able to do it properly. Youve also picked the right topics, imo, to go in depht with, and skipped some others (less important, very stale, and boring topics in some cases), which ultimately makes it a quite decent read. Good to see that the quality of formal guides actually increase over the years, looking back at the ones we had on wow-one in 2012, oh man, the "old" ED days. :D 
I will however allow myself a remark, its easy to see youre familiar playing with salvation - if you have the time, a few lines about windfury (use of spenders at proc / reset of swingtimer for both mh+oh depending on scripting), threat and threat tables in general, would be like icing on the cake.. I, atleast, feel its a major part of being rogue on the horde side. 
Good job ;) 

Edited by Nether

On 2016-05-22 at 3:25 AM, Nether said:

I will however allow myself a remark, its easy to see youre familiar playing with salvation - if you have the time, a few lines about windfury (use of spenders at proc / reset of swingtimer for both mh+oh depending on scripting), threat and threat tables in general, would be like icing on the cake.. I, atleast, feel its a major part of being rogue on the horde side. 

I have indeed become a bit to familiar playing as Alliance: The problem playing Alliance as a Rogue is mainly that there are less events occuring during your rotations so you are not actively being punished to the same degree a Horde rogue would be if he/she was not paying attention to windfury (& extra attack) procs and swingtimer resets. A superb rogue on Alliance with decent gear is as such much less likely to beat, say a rank 14 rogue in raids who is quite mediocre, than what said rogue could accomplish on Horde with windfury. Transfering from Horde to Alliance on ED was an eye opener in these terms as I really had to claw my way up on the meters playing as a nonhuman against humans with R14 weapons.

I do agree: A few more lines would probably be good regarding windfury. Having it mentioned I do feel that threat management in general from a Horde perspective could be especially good to look at as it becomes a limiting factor if the tank can't keep up, which quite often can be the case unless the shaman(s) are totem dancing like gods :x

Edited by Soyoen
The edit is coloured.

7 hours ago, Cornholi said:

Is there a way for us to add items to the spreadsheet?

Certainly.

1) Right click on any of the tabs, click "Unhide..."

At this point a window appears with slots such as Shoulder, Back, Chest... etc

2) Unhide the one you wish to add an item for, I'll use boots in this example.

3) Insert a row anywhere below the first row (Bloodfang) and above the last row (Swiftwalker), this is the easy way to do it so you don't need to reselect the ranges for both Boots and Bootsstats.

4) Type in the new item accordingly and you should be done :)

Between this guide and me thinking to level a rogue alt, I went ahead and backported RogueFocusClassic.

Can get it at my github if interested: RogueFocus

Virustotal: Scan Report

Draggable / Lockable Compact Frame with Combo-points, Energy, Energy Ticker (with optional audio hint)

/rfc for options

Fims64k.png

Edited by Roadblock
Update link to latest release (fixes catform and stealth detection)

1 minute ago, Elicas said:

Nice!

Does it work for Druids too? :o

Yep.

Damn, I can't +rep you enough then.

Thanks for the upload, I'll add it to the addon list on my feral Druid guide and drop you a mention.

Very nice guide man. Sheds light on things that are forgotten over time and it's also brilliant for the newbie rogues. Kudos.

Hey, @Soyoen would you mind giving your opinion on these two specs from a leveling perspective, or do you have a better one? 

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#fGxboxZG0Ez0Vzxfo

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#fheboxZGoVbbVzxfo

I like them both and the question comes down to Riposte versus handling the hostile environment (wPvp). I want an efficient spec but to still be able to enjoy the facets of a PvP server, so I'm leaning towards the second one. Also, these specs seem to promote dual swords, IOW no backstab. The whole backstab strafing play style don't sound too appealing for me, is it that much faster?

I mained shaman/paladin up until mid-Cata where I quit retail so my experience with rogues is limited. Sure, the first rogue I actually levelled all the way was in Cata retail with full heirlooms, as well as some 3.3.5 PVP on the private server scene, but that doesn't count for shit. So I want to do it for real this time and main rogue here on CF. 

Thanks, appreciate the guide! 

Edited by Chickengrease

I'm strongly considering to roll a rogue instead of a fury warr. The only that i'm wondering here is that isn't troll the best horde race for a rogue because of highest base agi and also the berserking racial?

Also what about using rupture as a CP spender sometimes instead of eviscerate?

Edited by Smirre

You cannot use rupture in raids because of limited debuff slots 8 and 16 after zg release thats why u need to use evis

The AGI difference between races is moot. But Berserking does put Troll on top if you want the race. Blood Fury isn't ideal at all over it, and applies a nasty healing debuff you don't want. But personally I prefer Undead.

You will never use Rupture in a raid. It's a waste of a debuff slot. Similarly, you'll never use Garrote, or Deadly Poison. Idiot Rogues that use these are replaced by non idiot Rogues who don't use them. Expose Armor is the worst thing you could do, unless for some reason you have no Warrior tank on a boss.
Poisons->2x Instant or +crit stones (better than the poison) Horde can also MH Windfury
Openers->None or Ambush.
Finishers->SND/Evis
Most things are stun immune except certain trash, like the big elites in Ony's lair. These should be stun spammed by everyone, which can prevent the AoE from ever firing. This is the Rogue's job vs these mobs, who should have a stun rotation to ever prevent these mobs from being able to fight.

3 hours ago, Duze said:

You cannot use rupture in raids because of limited debuff slots 8 and 16 after zg release thats why u need to use evis

3 hours ago, Drain said:

The AGI difference between races is moot. But Berserking does put Troll on top if you want the race. Blood Fury isn't ideal at all over it, and applies a nasty healing debuff you don't want. But personally I prefer Undead.

You will never use Rupture in a raid. It's a waste of a debuff slot. Similarly, you'll never use Garrote, or Deadly Poison. Idiot Rogues that use these are replaced by non idiot Rogues who don't use them. Expose Armor is the worst thing you could do, unless for some reason you have no Warrior tank on a boss.
Poisons->2x Instant or +crit stones (better than the poison) Horde can also MH Windfury
Openers->None or Ambush.
Finishers->SND/Evis
Most things are stun immune except certain trash, like the big elites in Ony's lair. These should be stun spammed by everyone, which can prevent the AoE from ever firing. This is the Rogue's job vs these mobs, who should have a stun rotation to ever prevent these mobs from being able to fight.

Ah well that explains it.

So If i want the best possible dps on horde side for a rogue i should go for a troll?

1 hour ago, Smirre said:

So If i want the best possible dps on horde side for a rogue i should go for a troll?

Rogues can instantly remove fear. If your healers aren't on point and dispelling those quickly undead will win the DPS race. There are also quite a few stuns scatter throughout the raids. Orcs have it pretty good because they can resist those without doing anything. Overall though, Trolls will win the DPS race by a small margin. But their racials are so useless in PvP almost nobody cares for them.

16 minutes ago, RipTonight said:

Rogues can instantly remove fear. If your healers aren't on point and dispelling those quickly undead will win the DPS race. There are also quite a few stuns scatter throughout the raids. Orcs have it pretty good because they can resist those without doing anything. Overall though, Trolls will win the DPS race by a small margin. But their racials are so useless in PvP almost nobody cares for them.

Well i might not even do pvp that much so i guess troll it is then!